is ffxiv going to last?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rokien, Sep 23, 2013.

?

Will ffxiv stand the test of time?

1. yes

76.8%
  2. no

23.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rokien

Rokien Adventurer

hello rokien here.
    before anyone puts words in my mouth, I am enjoying the game right now but not with a dozen complaints.
    the question is simple, will ffxiv stand its ground for 10 years or even 2? I say no, reason why, they are doing what every mmo has done or is doing, but insted of looking at what those mmos are doing and trying to figure out how to make that idea 10xs better, they make it worse than the original. Best example of this is fates, and I dont think I need to explain why. Do please, let me know, how do you think the game will do in a few years, do you see yourself playing it?

2. Karamethien

Karamethien Crystal Brave

At the rate in which you progress, I don't see this lasting a long time. There is no way they can come out with enough content to satisfy the curve.

Rokien likes this.
  3. Legwen

Legwen Crystal Brave

They say they have a 10 year plan, Based on what i've seen so far, they'll be lucky to have a viable 2 year plan. 2 years from now people are going to still be killing titan, instead of normal or hard or extremely its going to be OMG , HOLYSHIT and WTF modes.

Syn, Araye, Spokenlastchance and 5 others like this.
  4. HintOfMint

HintOfMint Crystal Brave

Once they release a new level cap, they need to make the grind much much harder. Getting to 50 was easy and I only get to play on the weekends. Perhaps remove fates from those new areas so people can't LOLLERSKATES to 60-70.

5. Rokien

Rokien Adventurer

to the people voting yes why do you vote yes? The next patch inst for 2 more months, and after that 3 more months for the next stuff. The next patch is really only releasing pvp and crystal tower for content, how is the stuff we have now, and that stuff going to last 5 more months before everyone has done it? The game is only a month old and people are getting everything left and right.

6. Tiberius Darksbane

Tiberius Darksbane Crystal Brave

I say no I'm a casual gamer and I got to 50 in 2weeks I even have some dark armour pieces with little to no effort

Legwen likes this.
  7. Nichigo

Nichigo Content Moderator

You might need to clarify what you mean by will the game last.

Do you mean if it will still be around? If so, you'll have to realize that they probably created the worst MMO in history with version 1.0 and that still was in service for two years with paid subscribers. This game is already miles better than 1.0, so I think it will survive for quite a while. It may not be well-liked, but in the context of still being in service, I think it'll be around.

Do you mean if it will be successful/popular for that long? If so, then I have two points on this:

*I think it depends on how many casual players there are (if you're 50 right now, I wouldn't consider you casual). I think the game appeals more to casuals as there is adequate content for most of them and SE has incorporated features that help the casual player keep up with the rest.

*I also think it depends on their plans for updates and expansions. Don't think we'll have a really good feel for this til the 2.x updates have been implemented.

I still feel it's too early to make such a long term guesstimate though.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
    CrashOkami, Yojubo, Genesys16 and 6 others like this.
  8. Skyhound

Skyhound Adventurer

It will, FFXIV isn't the only MMO that uses this type of model. MMOs are plain too expensive to develop as a whole and to release. using patches to develop the game over time is a great method to get over the financial hurdle. The new PvP mode is a great turn to generating more activity, because now we can have FC vs FC grudge matches and what not.

People just need to grow up. You may know your video games, but you have no idea how business actually works. Enough of these doom and gloom messages. Oh, and before someone says something idiotic: Squeenix is NOT a major game developer anymore. They're barely above an indie house at this point.

Genesys16 likes this.
  9. HintOfMint

HintOfMint Crystal Brave

They didn't account for the players that have no priorities aside from FFXIV.

I still have plenty of stuff to do :)

10. Legwen

Legwen Crystal Brave

When new people stop coming and playing and no one talks about it seriously
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 23, 2013, Original Post Date: Sep 23, 2013 ---
    Sigh. I you silly forum peoples, you going to make me start using resources, facts and figures to start proving you wrong now?

Indie games have billions of dollars in revenue? No, they are designed well or have vision. You may feel like you're playing an indie mmo when you play FFXIV but that doesn't make SQE an "indie company". That makes them bad at designing games. indie company, PAAH Don't insult indies like that.

[​IMG]

11. Dragon

Dragon Scion

Without long-term investments, an MMO goes nowhere pretty fast. It's up to the devs to either listen to the casual hogwash and play it safe just to get some quick money, or apply some logic to their game that requires some long-term investment to make it suitable for a decade or longer and realize the casual playerbase is full of franchise-jumpers that only play an MMO for its first few months no matter what it gives them.

Of course, this isn't something they can just implement in a single patch either. It will take time, for better worse. There just needs to be actual evidence that they are on a long-term path.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  12. Shroomie

Shroomie Crystal Brave

yeah... like i said before... too many spend too much time on this game. They may be trying to get their free months worth. But i've been playing everyday for 2-4 hours and i think the content has been good so far for my pace... I know there are a ton of people who eat sleep wake up and play this daily... and those people will run out of things to do..... but any game will be like this if played that much

Faye, Faelorn, Nehym and 3 others like this.
  13. LadyVixx

LadyVixx Crystal Brave

Oh yeah... removing FATEs is the answer. (NOT)

The main reason people run FATEs is because the way this game is designed, after questing with your first job, all subsequent jobs/classes have very few leveling options besides the FATE grind. If Square Enix were to redesign the quest system so that they were repeatable with different classes, such a system *may* be viable. Until then, FATE grinding is here to stay.

14. ilmaestro

ilmaestro Crystal Brave

I agree with too much of what Nichigo said to need to write any more.

15. Dragon

Dragon Scion

We do in fact have dailies/repeatables, they're called Levequests. Thus, the real issue is whether or not the Levequest system should be expanded on.

P.S. Fates are nothing more than dailies or repeatables either, if you actually think about it.

16. kichwas

kichwas Adventurer

Most players right now are level 15. After that it drops off, by a very wide margin, and there are almost no 50s at all when compared to the general population:
    http://www.xivnation.com/news/eorzea-census-patch-2-1-tgs-live-letter-1/

If you're above level 15, you're a speed leveler in this game.

What that means is that the people ranting all around here are the exception, not the rule. But when in an echo chamber, its hard to hear anything outside.

17. The47thSen

The47thSen Scion

I honestly don't get how people are running out of content to do. I bought the game on launch, I play 2~3 hours day, more on weekends, sometimes not at all. My highest class is a level 33 white mage. I've done my fair share of fate zergs, I do the main quests and the side quests. I talk to NPCs, I look at the stars (you can actually see the sky rotate) I explore. I try out different classes and mess with different play styles.

I've probably barely even exhausted 30% of the content, and I'm still having a whole ton of fun. I don't see myself doing end game content anytime soon, or at all. The new Crystal Tower is probably exactly for casuals like me, people who don't farm for or care about l33t l00t but still want to try experience some kind of epic battle.

Considering that folks on reddit have been mentioning about how terrible of a grindfest FF11 really was comparably once you remove the rose-tinted glasses, this game is going to last just as long and probably be much more fun. I haven't enjoyed playing games this much since FF12.

Faye, Maaja, Jasper and 2 others like this.
  18. HintOfMint

HintOfMint Crystal Brave

Because this game is their job. lol. They are the only ones complaining :)

Shroomie likes this.
  19. BartlebyJones

BartlebyJones Adventurer

With the time I spend playing which tops is 2 hours or so on weeknights, a ton more on weekends but usually not til super late. Because I do enjoy my life outside the game with juggling school & work lol, but from what I've played there's plenty to do from 1-50 people just rushed their main class instead of enjoying the game, just like any other mmo & those are usually the ones that drop MMOs as soon as a new one hits the market.

20. Rokien

Rokien Adventurer

if your level 15, it probably means you aren't even playing the game, took me a few hours to get from 1 to 15. I really look forward to sub numbers after f2p.

Dragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.