Dev Blog Introducing the "Favour" System!

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy XIV News' started by Vamped, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Vamped

Vamped Administrator

Greetings, everyone!
    It's been really hard to keep this secret, but it's finally time to let the coeurl out of the bag!

Today we'll be discussing the upcoming "Favour" system! This new system will allow adventurers to grow even closer to their favorite NPCs. Have you held out hope that one day Minfilia will look your way for longer than a cutscene? Or perhaps you offer gifts to Merlwyb to try and win her over? Well, that's what the Favour system is for!

[​IMG]

In an effort to lift the veil of game development, we figured this would be a good chance to show you one of the design documents that the team is using to create the new system.
    (By the way, click the images below for larger versions!)

[​IMG]

While things are still early, we were able to capture a few screenshots of the system in action!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Who are you looking forward to raising favour with in this new system?
    While we showcased female NPCs in today's update, rest assured that male NPCs will be debuting in the system at the same time!

We hope you enjoyed this brief glimpse into the Favour system and we can't wait to share more with you in the future!

- Bayohne (is already planning to spend a lot of time with Merlwyb)

Pure Lucid and Ragnarok like this.
  2. Cyn Romanace

Cyn Romanace Scion

Server:
    Mataeus
    Only the seriously preverted people would be on board for this...

*Starts planning to raise her favour with Y'shtola*

Yeah I have been spending too much time with Gara..

Pure Lucid and Adonsa like this.
  3. AgelessDaisy

AgelessDaisy Scion

Server:
    Jenova
    Hehehehehe....That Lala...WILL BE MINE! But its more than likely an April Fools joke.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  4. Cyn Romanace

Cyn Romanace Scion

Server:
    Mataeus
    More than likely, specialy with Garuda as an option

5. Jojoba

Jojoba Adventurer

Server:
    Brynhildr
    "My my, Sultana, you're looking rather vulnerable today."
    [​IMG]

Najla likes this.
  6. Bizant

Bizant Scion

Server:
    Brynhildr
    HAHA this 100% a prank, but I love it. Check out that design doc, it's absolutely hilarious. Minfilia becomes Overly Attached Girlfriend via linkpearl and forbids partying with other females. Well played, SE, well played! And how apt, because SE have just raised my internal favour value.

Can you meet me behind the Waking Sands. Classic!

7. Gara Bloodreaver

Gara Bloodreaver Scion

Tremble foolish landwalker!

.....ok.....
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 31, 2014 ---

Wait. What exactly are you implying!? I am in no way shape or form a pervert! My that just rustles my fig leaf! Good day! *walks away with a moogle head dangly ball thing poking out of his butt*

8. Ingrid

Ingrid Crystal Brave

You will never have a Sultana waifu...

9. Tharian83

Tharian83 Crystal Brave

Server:
    Sargatanas
    Do you have any idea how many Otaku's in this world would be forming a single file line just to get the chance to date Garuda? You have no idea how much Garuda has been hit by Rule 34. So, it is of little surprise that she would be included in the Favour System... even if it doesn't turn out to be a joke.

And yes, I am one of the people who would be interested in gaining favour with Garuda. Her, Shiva, and Ultima (the one from the Tactics Universe) are high on my priority list of things I would be willing to date if they really existed and were actually girls.

What I want to know, is if this isn't actually a planned addition... why they went through all the trouble of coding the screenshots that they coded. Because those don't strike me as actual parts of the game that already exist.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  10. Cyn Romanace

Cyn Romanace Scion

Server:
    Mataeus
    Because it is an april fools joke, you should check out the one Blizzard did. They created a game, a cut scene to go with it, a mock up of and improved character model, and a bogus quest line along with some QQ oriented patch notes.

If you are gunna do a prank on the internet, gotta make it look legit.

11. Tharian83

Tharian83 Crystal Brave

Server:
    Sargatanas
    If you were only going to respond to part of my post did you have to quote the entire thing?

12. Araye

Araye Crystal Brave

Um... I'm sad now... It is a very good idea. The game should personalize as we progress. I see some NPCs now remember who I am (in terms of savior of the world storyline). That is an improvement over minfilia forgetting I just saved the world a moment ago and refering to me as "adventurer" when the quest is over.

I have saved the world many times, but signing up at the wolves den, the guy treated me like a street urchin. Where's the "respect" eraned for extraordinary deeds? Save the world once, well, maybe you can walk down the street unrecognized. But how many times have I saved the world now? You'd think there would be a carpet of rose petals at my feet.

Where's my roses???

Masha

Najla likes this.
  13. Tharian83

Tharian83 Crystal Brave

Server:
    Sargatanas
    Wow Araye, you sound like you want to be Tony Starke from the first Iron Man movie...

"Yeah I'm Iron Man" ~~ Tony at the Press Conference at the end of the movie.

Araye likes this.
  14. Araye

Araye Crystal Brave

I just really like roses...

15. Tharian83

Tharian83 Crystal Brave

Server:
    Sargatanas
    suffice to say this would actually give me a reason to play a male character if it were true.

16. Cyn Romanace

Cyn Romanace Scion

Server:
    Mataeus
    Yep, I did. No need to be a dick about it.

17. Tharian83

Tharian83 Crystal Brave

Server:
    Sargatanas
    I asked an honest question and got an ad hominem thrown back at me. Nice.

18. racooperii

racooperii Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    It just takes too long to edit a quote, much easier and faster to leave the whole quote.

Nit a reason to get ruffled :p

19. Bizant

Bizant Scion

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Just so you know, I'm a neutral party, and you're definitely coming across as the one with the bad attitude. And I can't tell if you're joking about dating Garuda and Shiva, but if you're not, get a grip. Also, you seem unconvinced that this favour system is a joke. Be assured, it's a joke.

Jedrek likes this.
  20. Tharian83

Tharian83 Crystal Brave

Server:
    Sargatanas
    Seriously guys... I realize that it is a joke. I was just commenting on the fact that it is nice to dream.

That said, I grew up playing Final Fantasy as a series. One of my earliest Video Game crushes was on Shiva and Siren from Final Fantasy VIII, which was the first Final Fantasy game I ever played. Seriously, you can't expose a 12 year old kid to two half naked chicks, in a medium that is generally seen as socially acceptable, and not expect him to develop a crush on them. Even if it is a purely innocent crush.

And that isn't even counting Shiva's appearance in Final Fantasy X, which was literally stripperific. How can any honest male Final Fantasy fan watch Shiva's full summoning scene from Final Fantasy X and not get turned on? Unless of course that individual male doesn't swing that direction.

And then there is Garuda from Final Fantasy XI. I don't know if you are aware of this, but people actually made illegal mods to the game files just so they could make Garuda even more naked than she already was.

So yes. I am completely serious when I say I would be willing to date the Primals if they were real, and weren't bent on killing me at a moments notice. And yes, I am a guy.

But of course I would feel that way about practically the entire female cast of the whole franchise (not counting the player characters in the MMO's, though there have been one or two notable female players of XI that I have felt affection for, just nothing on the level of wanting to date them).

I suppose if having a crush on digital characters and wishing them real makes me sick, then I am sick. But so are countless thousands of other guys (and some girls) who hold the same fetish though likely for different characters. Heck, Star Wars the Old Republic monetized the fetish and allowed players to get married to Non-Player characters for crying out loud. They even went a step farther and are installing same sex romances as of the more recent expansions.

I should also note that people having crushes on digital characters is nothing new (the digital part maybe). This has been happening for centuries. Aphrodite the Goddess of Love is a paramount example of what happens when people idealize the concept of beauty. And the story of Pygmalion exemplifies the entire trope of man wishing for what he cannot have, only for that wish to be granted by the powers of a God (in this case Aphrodite granted his wish because he had fallen in love with a statue that he had carved after seeing the devastation that Aphrodite caused to several women who denied her power).

Point is, people have been wishing for what they can't have for centuries. It isn't going to stop now that we are in a new digital age and can realistically render the human form in cyber space.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014