How to turn around quickly (Keyboard)

Discussion in 'New Player Question & Answer' started by HeroMystic, Sep 8, 2013.

1. HeroMystic

HeroMystic Active Member

Ignore the fact I'm a level 50 PLD.

I recently switched from Gamepad to KB/M, since my gamepad is too faulty. For the life of me I can't figure out how to quickly turn and run away without the use of my mouse. Is there a way of doing this by keyboard only?
  2. kichwas

kichwas New Member

Is your mouse not available as an option. I'm still waiting for my copy of the game to arrive in the mail so I can't offer specific advice, but in every MMO I've played turning has been 'speed gated' when done with the keyboard, and instant on the mouse.
    - Its just some thing devs code in for whatever reason...

It is so common that I've taken to unbinding the turn keys, and using those keybinds for sideways walking instead (strafing). And a common MMO insult is 'keyboard turner'.
  3. HeroMystic

HeroMystic Active Member

My mouse is indeed available, and I've been using that for turning. I just want to know if there's a way to turn around quickly.

I did find out that switching to Legacy format allows this, but the controls for that one is... weird.
  4. Scape

Scape Active Member

I switched my movement to camera based in the options. Now my character turns and runs in any direction I press.
  5. HeroMystic

HeroMystic Active Member

The issue I'm having with Camera-based movement is you're committing a lot of camera movement to your mouse instead, and I use my mouse to fire off my cooldowns, since having them on a hotkey would be wasteful.

Though I do enjoy the free movement that Legacy movement gives, so guess I'll deal.
  6. Madlibx

Madlibx Member

If you're talking about pressing the S key and running in that direction, it doesn't work like that. You'll still back peddle. There's no option to change that unless you go controller
  7. Scape

Scape Active Member

You can change that. I did.

@HeroMystic- I get what your saying about using your mouse. So you click on the icons. I can see how that would make it a bit of a pain to use the mouse for camera movement. I use a Razer Naga, so I typically don't click any icons unless I am crafting or something so it's really easy for me to move around freely with the mouse while using all of my abilities.
    Madlibx likes this.
  8. Madlibx

Madlibx Member

Switching from clicking to binds takes some practice but its super worth it. I have small hands so I keep most my binds around wasd.

The naga or g600 makes life amazingly easy in mmo's.
  9. kichwas

kichwas New Member

Yeah I have a Razer too. Nostromo here. Mouse in one hand, Nostromo in the other, keyboard in between.

I've gotten to where I can hide my UI in some games. It forces me to think really hard about what abilities are most important, and what I can macro into a system. With the right setup, I can just move my mouse over something of interest on the screen and press a key on the nostromo - and things happen. I also have a 7 button mouse - but I've not bothered to configure it as its software is PC only and in past, I often played WoW on the Mac side of my system (an iMac with both OSX and Windows installed).

Ideally one wants to train oneself to do as little as possible with the mouse so it can be used solely for camera and movement (this is one thing that annoys me whenever I load up WoW again - I got used to having the 'F' key be able to select anything my mouse was over in Guild Wars2, and haven't been able to figure out a way to do that in WoW without a mouse click. Looking at the control commands for XIV, it looks like I will have the same problem here. I think I miss out on half my loot drops in WoW due to having to click the screen with my mouse to loot there).
  10. Rostnhaemr Zirnundsyn

Rostnhaemr Zirnundsyn Well Known Member

I believe "V" is the default hotkey for quick turn around.
  11. AlexToff

AlexToff Member

Actually "V" doesn't turn you around, it just rotates the camera to face you, to give you a rear view.