Hi

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lightcloud69, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Lightcloud69

Lightcloud69 New Member

Server:
    Jenova
    Hello all, I'm somewhat new to the game. I'm a level 32 pld and I've been playing on and off for the last couple of months on the Jenova server. Pretty much been soloing the whole time. I would be lying if I said I wasn't confused by many of the games mechanics such as the materia stuff and effective tanking.

contramundum159 and GeekMatt like this.
  2. praysolace

praysolace Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Hello and welcome! We'll do our best to help with your questions :3

Materia
    There's a quest in the north of Central Thanalan to unlock materia conversion. Once you've completed it, any piece of gear you've 100% spiritbonded (you can see a piece's spiritbond status in its pop-up window) can be converted into a somewhat random piece of materia. (Types and levels of gear correspond only to certain types and levels of materia, but within their sets what exactly you get is randomized.)

Besides being salable on the market board as well as to NPC vendors (in the case of very low-value materia), affixing materia to a piece of gear makes it spiritbond faster. When people used to do spiritbonding parties in Urth's Fount with high-level gear, they'd affix cheap materia to spiritbond them faster and get higher-level materia out of their gear.

Some high-level materias are desirable for melding into endgame gear. Generally speaking, this is crafted endgame gear, but I heard tell they were going to add materia slots to endgame gear bought with tomes. Well, don't worry about that yet. There's no point melding materia into your gear for stats just yet; you'll outgrow it too quickly. Most folks don't even bother at endgame, honestly.

Tanking
    Full disclosure: I'm a Warrior. I have a Paladin at 50 but I didn't use it much and didn't like it much.

I don't know what you don't know, so feel free to ask more specific questions, especially of our resident Paladin @GeekMatt. This will be very basic.

As you know, your job is to manage the sizes of pulls, grab aggro from all the monsters, keep it, and stay alive. Don't worry about your damage output; that comes later, once you can handle aggro and survival easily.

The classic opener for mob pulls is to Shield Lob your first target, Flash 2–3 times as the enemies converge on you, running through them so the enemies are now between you and your party members. Then focus your attacks on the target you'd Shield Lobbed (which your single-target DPS will be focusing on) while adding in Flashes here and there. Your Rage of Halone combo is your enmity combo; Riot Blade doesn't give increased enmity and therefore should only be used when you need MP.

If you're doing a little better, not treading water—this may not be until after you get Shield Oath at level 40—you should start rotating parts of your enmity combo around different enemies. So, let's say you pull a group of three. You Shield Lob target #1, Flash a few times, get a combo off on #1... then start cycling between all three targets to watch their enmity bars. (There are white bars at the bottoms of your party's class icons. Yours should be full and say A next to it; this means you have aggro. Everyone else who's got any aggro on your target will have numbers 2–4 and a partially filled white bar. The closer their white bar is to full, the closer they are to taking aggro.) If a party member is getting up there in aggro, use the next part of your combo on that enemy and see how the bars look then.

In terms of cooldowns, when possible it's good to begin a pull with Fight or Flight up and hit Rampart as soon as you reach melee range. I can't recall what else you have at your level.

Other basic things to know about tanking... there are patrol mobs sometimes like the Manor Maidservants in Haukke Manor. They're not linked to other mobs, they just walk up and down a corridor and gank you if you're fighting near their path unawares. When you're relatively low-level, you'll usually want to pull patrols separately, so don't be afraid to Shield Lob and then run backwards to a safe spot. Gear also makes a big difference; if you're having trouble holding aggro, make sure your gear is up to date. Of all party roles, the tank is the one for whom it's most vital to have at-level or close to at-level gear. Dungeon drop gear is even better. What else... oh, I usually keep marks 1 and 2 on my bar, for instances where it's important that a specific mob die first or for when the DPS don't seem to understand that they should be focusing down the Shield Lob target first. Sometimes your DPS don't know what they're doing and are all over the place, and that makes your job harder, especially as a pre–Shield Oath Paladin.

I'm sure I forgot a billion things that Matt will have to fill in. That's what tags are for, right? ;P Anyway if you have any more specific questions please ask. Big, general ones are a bit tough to answer thoroughly XD

Jinzuku and MasterBox like this.
  3. Lord Tristem

Lord Tristem Crystal Brave

Server:
    Lamia
    Greetings and Welcome to the Realm!

Here have a slice of pie <hands him a slice of pie>

4. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Welcome to Realm, light! :hello:

For PLD the biggest struggle is managing multiple targets, and as Praysolace was explaining in the novel above ^ in this game it's very important to learn how to recognize aggro generation by the party.

The highlighted bar shows how much aggro people have on the enemy that you're targeting;
    [​IMG]

That's one important means for watching aggro. another is your enemy list;
    image.jpeg

The symbol next to each enemy shows your aggro. Green means you're far from having aggro, yellow means you're slowly getting it, orange means you almost have aggro and will probably get it back with a flash or 2, and Red is what you want to see as a tank, meaning the enemy is attacking you.

There's also the enemies health to take into consideration, if you're a tracking target 1 but the HP of target 2 is dropping, then a DPS is probably going to pull target 2.

Once you've settled into watching aggro, it's just a matter of knowing that your Rage of Halone combo builds a lot of aggro on a single target, and Flash builds a little aggro on all targets. Never use Rage of Halone out of combo though, if you need a bit of aggro in one hit, there's shield lob. Provoke will give you immediate aggro on someone else's target, but if you already have aggro then Provoke will not help you gain any more. After provoking, you must build some aggro on your target or you'll lose it.

This is all assuming you're having traditional PLD issues :p If you have questions, don't hesitate to speak up. Biggest advice I can give you is that gaining aggro is a race—build it quickly up front and then you won't have issues.

MasterBox likes this.
  5. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Vice Administrator

Server:
    Phoenix
    Welcome to the Realm
    :hello:

6. c7036617

c7036617 Adventurer