gathering for crystals

Discussion in 'Crafters & Gatherers' started by kiite91, Jul 20, 2013.

1. kiite91

kiite91 Adventurer

Ok so i am going pick an waver for my craft spec. But im wondering what gathering spec to choose to make it easier . I know from beta that crafting requeries lots of crystals . So what will be the best for me to farm then? Or either to choose for weaver?

Sorry i am typing from mobile :p

2. ThadeusStern89

ThadeusStern89 Crystal Brave

The crystals you need depend on the craft, and they're always available nearby with the corresponding gathering class. If you're going with Weaver, I believe that's in Ul'Dah. Could be wrong. So Miner would be best. For Leatherworker it's Botanist, etc. Just pair the craft and the gatherer together. Hope that helps.

3. Senexya

Senexya Adventurer

Botanist is great for weaver! And you should get tons of crystals easily while out in the field, all the DoL classes are great for farming crystals!

4. kiite91

kiite91 Adventurer

What does DoL stand for ?

sorry for being noob .

5. Tigris

Tigris Adventurer

Disciple of Land (Botanist and Miner and Fisher at the moment (although not much is known about the fisher).

6. ThadeusStern89

I hope Fisher doesn't end up being the odd one out, the so-called "recreational" gathering class. If there are no immediate benefits to it I'd say few people will pursue it.

7. Luko

Luko Scion

Gathering log is your friend. Once you pick your gathering class and take it for a spin, you'll notice your gathering log filling up. Eventually, you'll come across a pattern in your weaving that will require, say, Wind crystals. Pop open your gathering log and bam, you found wind crystals in Central Shroud as a level 5-10 botanist. Time to go get some more!

Lexian likes this.
  8. Exire

Exire Crystal Brave

I know with battle classes and crafting classes that it's more plausible to work on the same one to max level without dabbling much in the other classes if you don't want to. Is this the same for gathering classes or are you recommended to switch between Miner and Botanist frequently? If for example you chose to focus on Armorer, would you level Miner up with it and have no use in doing anything with Botanist? Not intending to hijack someone else's thread, but I thought it could be relevant.

9. ThadeusStern89

For Armorer Miner is by far more useful. You warp to Fisherman's Bottom in Limsa, out to Western La Noscea, crystal shards you need are right there. So mixing crafting and gathering in terms of your starting city is a good idea. Best to just keep an eye on your logs and work out a neat little system like I did for Armorer.

Switching between gathering classes on the fly, for no apparent reason, is a little pointless. Always keep in mind what shards you need to craft with, coordinate with your mining log, and you'll have yourself a really efficient crafting exercise. The same goes for Botany. Both miner and botanist can access all shards, but the Shroud is obviously far better for hacking at trees, while Thanalan is far better for Mining (since their starting cities are close by). Just don't craft when the crystals you need are unaccessible. If you start in Limsa and don't have Miner leveled up, obtaining crystals will be difficult. Then again, FSH will probably be able to do it just as effectively. But you might not be able to find the ones required for ARM (Ice and Earth, if memory serves).

10. ThadeusStern89

Sometimes I just camp in Western La Noscea for my ARM if I have enough crafting materials so I never run out of crystal shards.

11. Exire

Exire Crystal Brave

Haha figures, my starting city in Gridania and I want to be an armorer. I guess it works out okay though, I won't be touching crafting until I get a couple battle classes to max level. By then I'll have gone through the story and have access to wherever I'm guessing. Unless most people level up gathering classes at least as they play. Having not played the game yet, I'll keep those tips about the log in mind. Thanks ^^

12. kiite91

kiite91 Adventurer

Ok i know from beta , weaver need light crystals. So do i need mining to farm them ?

13. ThadeusStern89

All gathering classes can mine all crystals as I recall.

14. racooperii

racooperii Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I plan on hardcore leveling just my primary to 20, then getting the other combat's up to 15. And also 1 DoL and DoH each to about level 15-20. Then work them up every 5 levels of my Primary, just as a way to keep myself from burning out on one thing, probably mingle in their intitial level with combat classes to 15 :)

15. ThadeusStern89

Keep in mind that all cross-class abilities are at levels 15 and 25 respectively, so getting all crafts up to 15 at least is a good start once you commit to crafting.

16. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    yeah, I kind of laid out my whole plan in my blog...wait shameless self promotion...yes.

But I plan on doing a good portion of crafting, maybe more than Gathering as I feel that is a painful Grind right now....but maybe it will be better come OB/Release.

17. ThadeusStern89

You kind of have to do both together since you will eventually run out of crystals and you have to set up a system whereby you go on a "crystal run" then Return, craft, go again when you run out, and so on. Otherwise you'll end up having to buy shards and that is not recommended if beta prices were anything to go by.

18. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Oh im well aware, I also know of sprite spawns that let me farm them that way. Im sure crystals will be within the 100gil area, beta market is never a good indicator of how it will be once a real population loads on.

Im just hoping they can make DoL more engaging like DoH feels, cause right now its slow goings lol

19. ThadeusStern89

Yes but although they're slow going they'll rake in the gil. We as a community determine how high crystal prices go, and their price will eventually settle. Hopefully on the lower end. If people aren't lazy and mine them all like I do then the prices will drop even further.

20. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    There will be enough out there who would rather pay for the item they want than go out and find it themselves, so shards will be a stable and steady income I feel like...or itll be like gas and you have no clue what it will be tomorrow.