Gamerscape Article

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blackpearlguy, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Blackpearlguy

Blackpearlguy Active Member

Interesting article, finally puts the debate to an end. There will not be HNMs or Roaming Primals, only instanced content i.e. Fate/Dungeon etc.

Link: http://gamerescape.com/2013/03/08/even-more-questions-from-the-final-fantasy-xiv-media-tour/
    Last month we had the chance to sit down with Naoki Yoshida, the Director/Producer of the upcoming FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn during a global media tour. Unfortunately due to time we weren’t able to get all of our questions answered. However, in this wonderful day we live in there is a thing called e-mail and because of this remarkable piece of technology we have some more information for you guys!
    You can check out the final pieces of our media tour Q and A after the jump!

GE- With the new Cait Sith artwork that was shown, it looked a bit like a stuffed animal. Cait Sith artwork had been previously released. Is this a newer version to move away from the FFXI design? Or was the image we were shown for a Cait Sith pet? (similar to the bomb, chocobo and mammet in the demo)

Yoshida- We’d like to wait a little longer before we reveal how Cait Sith will appear in game. Also, this particular version was designed specifically for FFXIV. :)

GE- How will pets be obtained in the game? (such as the bomb, chocobo and mammet) Will there be any special pets for Legacy or Collector’s Edition players? I would love to have a little Nael Van Darnus following me around.

Yoshida- Players will be able to obtain minions in a variety of ways– by clearing content, by earning achievements, by exchanging Company Seals, by purchasing them from vendors, and so on. I hope everyone tries to get them all! And I’ll be sure to let my team know about your Nael minion idea! :p

GE- You mentioned that end FATES such as Behemoth and Odin will have item rewards. Will these be distributed through the need/greed system? Or some other method?

Yoshida- No, we’ll actually be utilizing a different method. Players will earn individual rewards as well as tokens that can be redeemed for other rewards so there will be no need/greed rolls. It’s our hope that players will come together to achieve a common goal—even if their only contribution is to add another coating of blood to Odin’s Zantetsuken. :p

GE- Are Primals a part of the FATE system? or do they simply appear as NMs that begin to wander around? How will primal weapons be obtained in A Realm Reborn?

Yoshida- Many primals will be introduced through instanced battles, as they were in Version 1.0. Also, like Version 1.0, primal weapons will be obtained by defeating primals. That said, players may encounter primals in a future FATE!
  2. Danforth Wright

Danforth Wright Well Known Member

I'm grateful to Fusionx and his crew for this article. This really digs deep at some questions that are surfacing in the community.

The goal is to avoid RMT manipulation of these items. This is an age-old problem in MMO's. The solution will completely sever a part of our MMO backstory. That's the part where we reminisce about camping for hours on end to get a one-and-only claim on a world-spawning NM that dropped an item worth either millions and millions of in-game currency or at the least, days/weeks of your time to get it.

For those of us that thrived on that aspect of the game, this is a huge loss. However, in preventing RMT manipulation of those items/currency, the overall good will be achieved. There will be less drive for bots like the NASA bot in FFXI that completely destroyed the game for years. There will always be RMT aspects to every MMO, but this aspect of RMT is probably the source of their biggest headaches, not all of them.
    Blackpearlguy likes this.
  3. Dragon

Dragon Well Known Member

Actually, I do not see any info disregarding an open-world roaming-HNM system.
  4. Danforth Wright

Danforth Wright Well Known Member

As far as the Primals are concerned it's the FATE system, it seems that this was a point of contention in 1.0.
  5. Blackpearlguy

True there wasn't anything discrediting HNM, my mistake.

This was more of what I was getting at. I remember somewhere seeing that Odin and the Primals were supposed to be roaming, and you'd kill them and your LS/FC could summon it in battle... Could be wrong here.
  6. Dragon

Dragon Well Known Member

I found an article by ZAM that claims it,

http://ffxiv.zam.com/story.html?story=31884

But no direct quote either. I'm going to put something together.
  7. Joygasm

Joygasm Well Known Member

Open world HNMs would be great, but it isn't needed. I like the approach of XI where the open world NMs had binding gear. Don't want anyone overcamping it.
  8. Dragon

Dragon Well Known Member

Nothing is ever -needed-, ever.
  9. Madrone Damodred

Madrone Damodred Active Member

True, you can get by with basic gear. If you know how to play your job and gear yourself on a budget, you'll still do well.

(FFXI pre-abyssea persepctive) With FFXI mobs and some of the level capped content being so difficult though, you wanted any edge you could get. It could take a long time to level. Your first job to 75 might take 6 months to a year, mostly because of the need to farm and purchase/quest stuff, skillup weapons, do quests and missions, etc. If a level 30 peice of gear had stats that would still be relavent at 75 and for numerous jobs to boot, you tried to get that NM or farm up the gil to purchase it from the players or RMT who did. You recognized the value and saw it as a good investment. You couldn't always do that or you'd never stop farming/camping, and so you made some compromises.

There are elitists out there you might need to deal with. I was reading a BG thread about gear score and content finder and how some people hoped you could set minimum standards based on gear strength or just kick people who you thought were badly geared or bad players. I hate those kinds of attitudes. If somebody couldn't pull their weight or their gear was too many levels behind, yeah it could be a drag taking on very hard content, espcially if there was a price for entrance or a time limit. Sure, I could see the point there, but if that's the case you should be working with your LS/friends, not seeking strangers across the servers. And otherwise you should play a mentor role or help the other player out, and try not insulting them while doing it. They're not going to get better without making some friends who can give good advice and teach game mechanics. That was a great aspect in the FFXI community. You could find people who would just spend the time helping you out, early on anyway, and those with whom you made friends. I felt this drop off as the game got older and more top-heavy. Elitism also increased.

I got how gear worked from having played a lot of Final Fantasy games. But someone did have to teach me how hate was supposed work in my 1st party through Valrum dunes 8-9 years ago. I had a lot of mentors leveling up, and I did my own research too.
  10. Joygasm

Joygasm Well Known Member

Breast Physics...Breast Physics.
  11. Dragon

Dragon Well Known Member

Oh, that's true... we always need breast physics.
  12. Blackpearlguy

Too bad. If this is the case H/NMs brought a lot of distinctive value to the MMO genre.