Fishing

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by ShinSuta, Aug 19, 2013.

1. ShinSuta

ShinSuta Member

Heya all !

So, the beta is off, some of us had the joy to try and become Fisher, what do you think of it ?
    I took a lot of time fishing in La Noscea this weekend, got it level 19 and wanted to share some thoughts.

First, I don't really know how was fishing in 1.0, only thing I know is that it was really simplified in ARR and it has become an "average gathering class" (meaning it's more like in other MMO, WoW for example).
    Here, you put a bait on the hook, cast the line and wait for the fish to bite to reel it. Period.

What is different in FFXIV is the presence of the Fishing Log, which compile any information you got on fishing spots you discovered and fish you fished. The log is really well made, with some infos on each and every fish, records of the bigger fish you got, and detailed bestiary of fish from each area.
    Only minus is that if you had the log open and found a new fish, the log wouldn't update until you closed it and opened it again (beta indeed).

So, what I enjoyed the most is that I had to travel from spot to spot to find new species, and the way you have freshwater/river and ocean baits and fish species to find. Found lots of fish, from the ever classical trout, copperfish, butterfly and clams to the ugly sea cucumbers and snails.

Still, there are some interesting/mysterious areas I'd like to share with you people, first in Lower La Noscea (first low level zone), you can find a lvl 20 fishing spot of freshwater in the Iron Blind Cave (north, near Middle La Noscea). I thought it was fun to see a higher level spot in such a low level area, which I find rare to see in most MMOs.

Secondly, I found 2 zones where I couldn't fish, but am certain I will be able to. Every time I tried I got a message telling me that I could sense some fish but wasn't able to discern where. And then I think what I lack is some perception. I went there 2/3 times with upgraded perception gear without result, and don't know what level of perception you should obtain to fish there. Very mysterious.

For those who want to know where are the zones :
    Show Spoiler
    The first one is in Middle La Noscea, near the waterfall at Woad Whisper Canyon.
    The second is in Lower in the ocean near the Salt Strand.
    Black Superman, Nehym, Joh and 3 others like this.
  2. Cynessae

Cynessae Active Member

I actually quite enjoyed fishing. I got it up to about level 13 (would have gone further, but got hit with a 3102 error trying to do a dungeon with a friend).

The fishing log is probably the best, most detailed log out of any logs in the game, which is awesome. I'm just kind of at a loss as to what to do with all the fish. Can they be used to cook with? Are they used in other professions? Should I keep them or just sell the for the small amounts they vendor for to just clear my inventory/retainer?
  3. ShinSuta

ShinSuta Member

I am wondering what to do with them myself.

All the fishes clogged up my inventory and I had to sell/discard some of the lower level fishes as I did not know what to do with them. I am about level 10 in CUL and only some of the fishes can be cooked (2-3 low level fishes) from what I gathered in Limsa, you can also cook some others from other areas (toads). Also alchemist use at least one low level fish (butterfly thingy) in crafting. I don't know for the other classes.

Now that I have access to the retainer I am going to stock them all, at least for a while, until I figure what to do with all them. After that, I think selling them to the Auction House could be the best alternative other than using them in crafts.
  4. Steve

Steve Active Member

I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would after reading the producer's comments.

Running around with a friend seeing what we could find was great and we found some really cool places to fish.

The one area I think the fishing log could be improved, is if it had what bait you used to catch each fish. Or did it have that and I missed it? Lol.
  5. racooperii

racooperii Well Known Member

I for one loved fishing, it's just relaxing and choosing bait to catch your fish. It's a nice break from all the blood that splatters around from hunting monsters :).

I only got to 5, but I know I will be dabbling in this a lot more.
    VersatileMojo27 and Illithar like this.
  6. ShinSuta

ShinSuta Member

Yeah, right ? It's really cool.

I was doing quests with my friend Sunday, and every time I saw what might be a new spot I was like "Oh ! Wait ! Stop, stop ! *equip fishing gear* Let me fish. Here, just a little." and he was "Again ?!"

For the bait in the log, it could be good yes. As for now, you can know what is for what when looking at the fishing spot level and your baits level.
    Steve likes this.
  7. Steve

Steve Active Member

You either get fishing, or you don't :)

Ah that's not a bad idea, hadn't thought of that. The fish have levels too so I guess that could be an indicator of what bait to use. I started writing my own mini bait guide as I went along haha.
  8. Cynessae

Cynessae Active Member

I filled two tabs of my retainer up with fishies. Good to know some of them are used in something, at least.
  9. Exire

Exire Active Member

Anyone know if you need something special for the last fish in an area? In Limsa, I've found all but the last one on the very far right of the Fishing Log list. Either it's simply rare, or I need higher perception. Perhaps even the Mooch skill to catch the 'legendary' fish of an area perhaps? I stopped after 10 or 15 attempts since I didn't want to waste bait when I could get exp boost in other areas.
  10. Kreizy

Kreizy Member

I was wondering about that too! They did mention during one of their interviews that the type of fish you catch may vary depending on the time, season or weather type, so it may have to do with this, or either it is a very rare fish. What also might be the case is that we simply have to lvl up more and buy higher lvl bait. Who knows.

Anybody managed to catch one of those rare fishies? If so, enlighten us please ^^
  11. Cynessae

Cynessae Active Member

I have also been wondering about this. I know higher level areas require higher level bait, but I'm not sure about that last fish. I haven't caught any yet.
  12. Euriko

Euriko Member

I started fishing and got to level 7 quickly, I was wondering where should I go and what bait to use? :3 Since there isnt a guide available yet for fishing.
  13. ShinSuta

ShinSuta Member

Eeeeh, at early levels I only fished at Limsa/La Noscea. I recommend areas where mobs are at level 10 or so. When fishing look at your fishing log, you can see the level of each area, chose a level 10 one.
    For the bait, you can only use them if you're high-level enough in fishing, so right now use a bait lvl 5. There are two types available for you, freshwater/river or ocean baits, depending on where you fish, you can buy most baits from a merchant in any capital (field supplies or something like that).

I didn't fish much this weekend, just got lvl 20.
    It appears we can do some fly fishing thanks to new baits. It helped me find some new specimens in rivers I already fished before.
    Gotta try more.
  14. nz_chic

nz_chic Active Member

This sounds like a lot of fun. I'm in Limsa and I've only got hunting log enabled at the moment where do I go to get this on?
  15. ShinSuta

ShinSuta Member

There's the Fisher's Guild at Fisherman's bottom in Limsa Lominsa Lower Decks. Once there take the quest to become fisher, when you'll fish your first specimen, you'll unlock the fishing log.
  16. Lookeba

Lookeba Newbie

I was a little surprised there's not a vendor by the Fishing Guild Master that sells lures & other fishing necessities.
  17. Euriko

Euriko Member

Oh nice, grats on 20. ^^
    That information should help me out a lot. :

Me too, make me walk half a screen away to buy some. o_O
  18. Rakshu Pu'rr

Rakshu Pu'rr Member

I might as well go for it, and ask it from here; Where could I possibly find a Fishing Guild Master? Don't remember spottin' one around Ul'dah. It's a fine art which I would happily learn! It's a nice change from all the blood-splatter, as racooperii mentioned.
  19. ShinSuta

ShinSuta Member

No wonder you did not find one in Ul'dah, since the fishing guild is located in Limsa Lominsa. Go to Limsa then onto the Lower Decks, fisherman's bottom is where you'll learn the art of fishing.

Also, for everyone intending to go fly fishing. Don't buy more than one bait. You don't consume baits while fly fishing (like in real life). I made the mistake to buy 50 of them since I had not seen the tooltip, and it was awfully expensive...
  20. Rakshu Pu'rr

Rakshu Pu'rr Member

Yeeey! Limsa Lominsa it is, then. Thank you for pointing that fly fishing bait -thingy out; im 100% sure that I would have done the same, probably have used all my precious Gil to those!