Final Fantasy: Your First, Favorite, & Best

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Moomba, Aug 29, 2013.

1. laretheo

laretheo Adventurer

correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't the last boss you just cast death on him and he died after what ever amount of turns. was really a let down. frankly playing these games you play as good as you can to be able to beat them. maybe i'm a better player then you or maybe i enjoy playing a game to its fullest. otherwise what is the point in playing a game to rush to the end.

2. Ryudo

Ryudo Adventurer

First: FFVII
    Favorite: FFV & FFVI
    Best: FFVI

3. shaijis

shaijis Adventurer

I had to do a quick google search for this one, and it seems Final Aeon is vulnerable to Zombie; however, it'll remove the effect. Anyway, it's not 'bad playing' to play to enjoy the story (although I admit -- Final Fantasies and jrpgs in general have kind of terrible story lines and horrible one-dimensional characters), which means not spending hundred(s) of hours to grinding & immersing themselves in the game mechanics to finish one game. I'm not saying games should be easier or easy, but calling games that need specific knowledge to breeze through 'easy' is an overstatement, I think. If you've spent time learning about Rikku's mixes and getting Celestial Weapons and grinding, of course the game's not going to be as hard as when you have limited time in your hands and want to play other games as well.

Do we understand each other?

It's all about the freetime we have and how much of it are we willing to use to play a game. Enjoying a game to its fullest doens't mean the same thing to you as it does to me, obviously. :)

Idk, now I'm not even sure what my point was. Carry on. :D

4. Overlord91

Overlord91 New Member

My first Final Fantasy was Final Fantasy X but the disc was destroyed somehow and I couldn't finish it.
    And my second final fantasy game was Final fantasy x-2 which I could finish, and I was entertained throughout the whole game. What I liked most of Final Fantasy X-2 was the gameplay and the dress spheres.
    Anyway my favourite final fantasy would be Final fantasy X-2.
    I think X and X-2 had the best gameplays of all the final fantasy series, but then again I've only play X, X-2, XIII, and Dirge of Cerberus so I don't think I can say which Final fantasy game has the best gameplay, story or design.

5. Celestia Yasuhiro

Celestia Yasuhiro Adventurer

First: Final Fantasy VII
    Favorite: Final Fantasy VII
    Best: As of right now Final Fantasy XIV.

Quite typical really.
    FFVII was my first game too...

6. Jmajor

Jmajor Adventurer

First: FFI (Nes version)
    Favorite: FFII (Nes version) - Rydia, will always be my favorite character of all time + summons (enough said)
    Best: FF Tactics

7. Flymolo

Flymolo Adventurer

First game FF I ever played - FF 1 (NES)

First FF I ever owned myself (and played all the way through) - FFVII (PS1)

Favorite, toss up between FFVII and FF Tactics. Ive gone back and played these ever since they came out. Every now and then I have to repurchase it to play on a system I own, and every time I dont care.

Best - Same as favorite. I'll also throw FFXI and FFXIV out there.

8. Ophelia Aurielis

Ophelia Aurielis Crystal Brave

First: X-2
    Favorite: IX
    Best: I'm not sure, VII and VI come to mind. But I'm so in love with IX, that it's the best to me. I also love X's story. XIV is a very different and new experience to me and that's a good thing too.

9. JMATAWWCL

JMATAWWCL Moderator

Server:
    Mateus
    1st: Final Fantasy IV (II in the States)
    Favorite: Final Fantasy 7 (With all of the people who constantly try to earn hipster points and distance themselves from this one to sound cool; I'm not afraid to admit this was my absolute favorite one). Played this one to death. Only Final Fantasy game where my endgame timer was capped (99:99:99).
    Best: Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy XI (online) for longevity.

10. Kitsu_Foxrun87

Kitsu_Foxrun87 Crystal Brave

Server:
    Balmung
    My first FF was VII but to be a bit technical it was Mystic Quest for SNES. I didn't own one my mom's friend son had one. I was over there almost every day play different SNES games. Although I played it I wasn't a fan of it. I then received a PS1 w/ a copy of FFVII. Liked it but then I got FFVIII later. VIII then became my personal favorite especially when X, XII, and XII [2 and 3] came out later as well. VIII will always have an impact and a special place in my heart.

11. Tharian83

Tharian83 Crystal Brave

Server:
    Sargatanas
    That's easy. Final Fantasy 8. Though in actuality it was the Final Fantasy VIII Demo that I played first. The thing that drew me in was the fact that in the demo you could cast Leviathan during the SEED Exam, even though in the Full Game you wouldn't have access to Leviathan until long after the SEED Exam had concluded.

It's a toss up between Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI. I liked them both immensely, and thought they both had incredible stories. Though I think that Final Fantasy VI probably wins for the simple fact that the Villain actually wins (even if it is only temporarily) in that one.

If we were to judge each game only in relation to other games made around the same time as the Final Fantasy Game in question, then by and large the best all around designed Final Fantasy Game of all time is Final Fantasy VI.

Now for my own personal side category:

WORST Final Fantasy of All Time: Final Fantasy XI. Seriously any game whose developers thought it was a good idea to include a boss with 13 forms, each of which requires an hour or two to defeat... even with 18+ players working together for the common goal of defeating said boss. Is not good game design.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  12. TheMiqotewithaPlan

TheMiqotewithaPlan Adventurer

First FF game was Final Fantasy IV (then 2 in NA).
    Favorite FF game is Final Fantasy VII.
    And the best... hmm I think the best is Final Fantasy VI.

Tharian83 likes this.
  13. Shiroe Shirogane

Shiroe Shirogane Crystal Brave

First: FFII (SNES version)
    Favorite: FFII (SNES version) - Edge, man, the s**t with his parents made me cry.
    Best: FFII (SNES version) - Music was incredible, so was game and story.

14. Tharian83

Tharian83 Crystal Brave

Server:
    Sargatanas
    FFII as you list it, is actually Final Fantasy IV and yeah, it was by and large the best Final Fantasy game of all time. The reason it was released as Final Fantasy II was because of some sort of error during the importation process when the game was originally imported to the United States. This led to all manner of confusion because Final Fantasy VI became Final Fantasy III in the United States when there was already a completely different Final Fantasy III in Japan (which only JUST got released recently here in the United States), not to mention the game immediately after "Final Fantasy III" in the United States was Final Fantasy VII which retained it's VII numbering in the United States.

TheMiqotewithaPlan and Vamped like this.
  15. TheMiqotewithaPlan

Yeah, they did make it really confusing didn't they? And then I loved how they sent over Mystic Quest because we needed an easier experience for our RPGs. If memory serves, didn't Mystic Quest come with the full strategy guide too?

16. Shiroe Shirogane

Yeah I remember that. I was just listing that from the numbering I remembered :p

17. Hermes

Hermes Scion

First: X
    Favorite: FFTactics
    Best: I go back and forth between iX and X... I'll say IX today because I <3 vivi... And his storyline pulled my heart strings. X had a neat story, but IX had an amazing story for each character.

18. Shiroe Shirogane

I think it did. Then there is the whole Seiken Densetsu 3 a.k.a Secret of Mana 2 not coming over to the US. Ugh, still mad about that.

TheMiqotewithaPlan likes this.
  19. TheMiqotewithaPlan

Oh I know, I loved that game. Instead we got Secret of Evermore. Which... wasn't wholly a bad game. But it definitely felt like a watered down version.

20. Chaos_Martin

Chaos_Martin Crystal Brave

Server:
    Phoenix
    First: VIII
    Fav: The Series
    Best For-
    Story:X, XIII, VI
    Battle System: XII, T, XIV

Honorable Mentions:
    FFV for improved Job System
    FF III introducing many elements we see today in FF