Final Fantasy VII Remake

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by etherealskies, Jun 15, 2015.

1. delta5ff

delta5ff Scion

There's a really good the new currently with for the PS4 version that plays Aerith's theme and uses the menu sound effects. The only bad thing is the icons are bearley visible against the background

2. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    They have outright said specifically and in unmistakable terms that you can choose to control one or all three characters in a party.

delta5ff and racooperii like this.
  3. racooperii

racooperii Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    This makes me happy.

4. JMATAWWCL

JMATAWWCL Moderator

Server:
    Mateus
    My favorite party to use is Cloud, Yuffie and Cid. Cloud because....well you have to; Yuffie because of her high damage (paired with the Conformer) and Cid because he is a foul mouthed pilot/engineer/dragoon.

I think the action based combat benefits these 3 perfectly (especially Cid's "jump" type limit breaks).

I'm still curious as to how materia will work growth-wise in an episodic approach. Of course it can work, but will SE make it work?

I am not going to lie; amid my nostalgia factor mostly clouding my judgement, I am still looking forward to this. I just hope SE lives up to the hype and delivers an at least enjoyable game.

Jinzuku and Crimson Requiem like this.
  5. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I'm hoping they can keep materia largely the same. Im sure there are types of materia that won't work in a more action based setting

I guess it depends on how they develop the combat system. If it's a mix of Atb and Action, like regular attacks take no or little Atb and spells/abilities take a lot or all the Atb. And the bar won't refill till it's empty. Would make using a spell/ability a more meaningful choice and require some degree of strategizing.

Crimson Requiem likes this.
  6. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

Interesting. I've never used Yuffie before...I think it is because I never forgave her for backstabbing the party and stealing all our materia. XD

Her weapon sounds interesting though. Scaling with monster level. Cid's weapon scales with how full his MP is and I think Cloud is similar but scales off Current HP.

JMATAWWCL and racooperii like this.
  7. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Clouds weapon was always a pain for me because it is based on his current HP. Really annoying when Seph used Super Nova right before Omni Slash.

My first play through Seph never used Super Nova oddly enough.

8. JMATAWWCL

JMATAWWCL Moderator

Server:
    Mateus
    Same here. But then again I did use KotR and completely obliterate him xD

Btw: I hate using KotR.. I feel so cheap afterwards lol

9. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Ever do the no magic challenge? You use an lot of potions and attack items lol.

JMATAWWCL likes this.
  10. JMATAWWCL

JMATAWWCL Moderator

Server:
    Mateus
    Yep, completed the game with no magic ;)
    It was fun to say the least.

I've done speed runs, initial equipment runs and pretty much everything in between. None of them compare to beating Resident Evil: Directors Cut with knife. Tyrant with a knife? Unreal!

11. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Vice Administrator

Server:
    Phoenix
    I hated her more when she gave you your materia back IN THE WRONG SLOTS. I'm OCD about that stuff, so I spent ages in the exchange screen putting them all back nicely.

12. GothicSyn

GothicSyn Adventurer

Server:
    Lamia
    I had reservations about this when they first said they would change some elements but I've had a long time to digest it and quite honestly after I saw the trailer last week my excitement reset, the game uses Unreal Engine 4 not FFXV's engine. And the gameplay is a blend of various systems including as mentioned around here Kingdom Hearts, they brought in KH's combat designer to help with this.

Honestly for me it looks good, the episodic thing doesn't even bother me (I just pray they have sense to have some kind of season pass with it). The game is being done this way so nothing is cut, they have no excuse but to deliver the best game possible, it also avoids huge delays in its release as they can begin releasing as each episode is ready getting it into the fans hands faster. As far as I'm concerned Capcom proved episodic can work with their "low budget" experiment of Revelations 2 (A damn good game that actually feels like Resident Evil).

Assets are always going to be reused for the sake of time and productivity, it just makes sense as a developer if you have the assets it takes less time to re-skin them and put them in than to rebuild them from the ground up, it's purely productivity (and a little bit cheaper too). We don't know the final plan for the episodic release schedule could be on a per disc basis like 7 was originally or at certain points in the story the fact remains we get more this way than we would have if they did a single release, if the story isn't cut or changed then it should in theory still feel like FF7 and for me that's what counted keeping the spirit of the game.

Also the materia system is remaining giving the game a tactical element in ensuring you have the correct equipment and materia during the game. I really am just watching and waiting I don't expect it to be better than the original but I do expect it to stay true to the original.

13. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    It's just been announced that the first part of the scenario has been written.

I wonder just how many parts this game will be in. I just thought in my head it would be 3 as there were 3 games discs on the PS1 but I guess it could be more.

14. JMATAWWCL

JMATAWWCL Moderator

Server:
    Mateus
    I wonder the same thing. 3 large parts to represent the 3 discs; or maybe a part that leads up to each pivotal moment such as when the party leaves Midgar, Cloud's Flashback, Cosmo Canyon, Aeris' Death etc with the traveling on the world map being the filler. I hope they keep the traveling and dont just jump from town/scene to town/scene.

Jinzuku and racooperii like this.
  15. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    If it's jumping from scene to SceneKit it'll feel a lot like XIII, which I'm not a fan of extreme linearity like that.

16. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Crystal Brave

The only real downside to Yuffie (outside of forgetting how to get her each play thru) was the Final Limit (all creation) wasn't as powerful against the final boss as the one before it (Doom of the living) since it was more geared towards a group of enemies. Altho the same could be said for Red, he is a talking-ice cream eating-tiger-puppy and Yuffie is not.

17. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    Some new info:

Final Fantasy VII Remake is going beyond the original in more ways than one. With the first part of its scenario now complete, staff members Tetsuya Nomura, Yoshinori Kitase and Kazushige Nojima had a few more words to say in this week’s Famitsu.

While the interview contains a lot of previously known information, we’ve pulled out a few new bits as pointed out by Hachima.
    • They want to delve further into Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie.
    • Players will get to explore even more of Midgar.
    • They have an idea about the number of volumes that will be released, but they’re not at the stage where they can comment.
    • The team is not not talking about online right now.
    • The scenario of the first part through its ending is already complete.
    • They’re getting technical assistance from the Kingdom Hearts team with Unreal Engine 4, and may work together on the game sometime in the future.
    • Cloud’s hallucination scenes will be situated to be more meaningful.
    • Regarding Japanese voice cast, they’re continuing plans with the voice actors from Advent Children. Red XIII only made a cameo appearance, so his voice is likely to be changed.
    • The ATB gauge that turns red is different from Limit Breaks. Separate from Limit Breaks, there is another special system. They can’t show it yet, but the it will be different depending on the player’s play style.
    • They have yet to decide if there will be a Guard command.

JMATAWWCL likes this.
  18. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    They should never talk about online!

delta5ff, JMATAWWCL and Jinzuku like this.
  19. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    I hope the Japanese voices will be usable in the EU version. I much prefer their voices in Advent Children than the UK ones.

racooperii likes this.
  20. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Just make people learn Japanese or learn to read. I hated the EN VAs.

Probably the only American VAs I liked more were from Cowboy Bebop and Big-O.