Final Fantasy VII Remake

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by etherealskies, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Crystal Brave

That'd be interesting. Any thoughts on how they could pull off having you save her? Phoenix Downs aren't cheap :) Outside of Cloud's character i don't think it be too hard story-wise.

2. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

I think it would be cool if they did have a diverging story arc where you can save her or follow the original story. Would make sense if they are making this into a real remake and episodical?

3. Mycroft

Mycroft Crystal Brave

Server:
    Hyperion
    Inb4 an optional DLC "Episode of Aeris" dealing with just that scenario.

4. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    Aeris' storyarch would never be DLC. Her death is the catalyst for Cloud caring about anything at all. Without her death, or hopeful ressurrection, theres just no story there.

I know its a fantasy, but I would love for a remake of all the final fantasies. Especially 6, 8 &9.

racooperii and Crimson Requiem like this.
  5. Mycroft

Mycroft Crystal Brave

Server:
    Hyperion
    Unfortunately it is because of her being so important, that anything dealing with her potential survival will be DLC, because most fans would pay for it without a second thought, and SE knows this.

I do agree that we should get remakes/remasters for the remaining Final Fantasies.. But why does everyone forget that FFV hasn't received that treatment?

FFV and FFIX both need more love.
    Provided that FFIX just receives the remaster treatment.. Imagine how beautiful it would become.

6. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

FFIX is one of my favs. Had interesting characters, had elements from almost all the FF series. I really enjoyed it because each character brought something different and unique to the party. Some of the other FF just made everyone a little too homogeneous since everyone could pretty much do everything.

7. delta5ff

delta5ff Scion

At first I struggled think of ways they could do it with using "please insert disc 2" style screens advertising the next episode when trying to enter certain towns or cities.
    Until I realised that progression throughout the world has always been gated behind the story and your means of transport. When you start the game your restricted to whichever continent your on by the ports in select towns until you get the tiny bronko which again is limited where you can go. It's not until you get the highwind that the map truly opened up.

Using these different travel methods as places to end episodes naturally makes a lot of sense to me since they can't simply use the same structure as if the did the third disc literally been just the last dungeon and a few other small things would not be worth paying the same price as previous installments.
    Also I think that each episode is going to basically be the size of a full release from what they've said. With them expanding parts to "improve" the story. They have already said that we'll be able to explore a lot more of midgar than before.

8. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Vice Administrator

Server:
    Phoenix
    They have said that each "episode" will have as much content as a stand-alone game. Which leads me to believe we will be paying for each episode, but to be honest any fan of the game will be older enough by now to have a job so I don't think it'll really be all that bad. Aside from principle, of course.

I'm sure they said they will be including some additional story elements to the game. At the very least they will most likely add additional things to do and find since the original didn't really have much in the way of side stuff aside from chocobo raising and Gold Saucer.

I would try and find the article that said it but since the release of the trailer the number of articles about the remake is staggering.

9. Mycroft

Mycroft Crystal Brave

Server:
    Hyperion
    This? (the last bit in particular)

delta5ff and Jinzuku like this.
  10. racooperii

racooperii Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I wonder if they can put to rest once and for all that rediculous theory that Jenova is the actual last boss in the game.

As much as I would love to save Aeris, I just don't think the story works with her alive. It's not just Cloud but their whole rag tag team that bonds together over the painful loss of their frieo. Without her death, who knows if they could have stuck together or if Holy would have ever worked.
    we can control all the characters in a fight or we can take control of them one by one? I guess I'd be ok with switching characters mid battle and micromanage the s**t out of an encounter.

I'd rather have a world map than an open world, but that's my old school gaming life talking.

The story needs some cleaning up, it was pretty f*cking confusing back in the day.
    If I'm getting a full games worth then it "might " be worth it. I still don't like episodic though our of personal taste.

I waited for Tell Tales walking dead story was finished and then bought it for $20.00. Also how long is this game going to be? How will they gate leveling? What will the time gap be like between episodes? It'll be a while before those get answered but are big questions. If it takes too long and you have no level cap it would be super easy to over level for the next part or two if you grinded enough(Which if any of us worked for all limit breakers, we know what a grind is lol).

11. JMATAWWCL

JMATAWWCL Moderator

Server:
    Mateus
    If there is ever any concrete evidence that you can save Aeris as part of the storyline or DLC; I will not buy this game.

Yes, I will. But I will be butthurt.

Sephiroth killing Aeris was what made him from "muhahaha evil bad guy wants to destroy the world" to "holy shat, this guy killed the flower girl from the slums and is now totally absolute evil and I have to beat this game just to watch him draw his last breath"; because other than that, he was just pretty generic.

Jinzuku, delta5ff and racooperii like this.
  12. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    It's really what solidified the story. It took it from generic "Weee let's save the world " to "Now it's f*cking personal!"

I would pay DLC to let Cait Sith stay dead though. Worthless character.

Jinzuku, delta5ff and JMATAWWCL like this.
  13. JMATAWWCL

JMATAWWCL Moderator

Server:
    Mateus
    It took me about 4 years after playing FFVII to actually "get" Cait Sith (actually pronounced Ket-Shee fttdk) as in to understand him. I actually read a VII fan fic which stated Reeve was actually Cait Sith's controller and was like "lolwtf". I guess I didnt actually pay massive amounts of attention -_-

14. delta5ff

delta5ff Scion

What I'm looking forward to is Jessie, Biggs & Wedge getting more screen time and characterisation so you actually feel the impact of their deaths
    I saw a quote from them that said that it will be a party of three just like the original.
    But looking at all the footage and the way combat seems to work I'd say it's pretty much guaranteed that you can only control one person at a time. The combat looks to be mostly menu based (in the vain of Kingdom Hearts) but with the ability to freely move around I don't think it would be possible to control more than one character at a time
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 8, 2015 ---
    Yeah that's why he came back after he died at the temple, because it's a robotic body been remotely controlled by Reeve, he was my least favourite character and I've never used him unless the game forced him on me

JMATAWWCL likes this.
  15. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I knew this but I'd still rather have Cait Sith just not come back.

I would hope the option to change characters mid fight will exist.

16. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Crystal Brave

I actually don't like this approach. I understand the draw to it and its benefits but I like the idea of having to choose your party and stick with it. Having to deal with the consequences of your choice. If memory serves, a good example is when you first get Red XIII there's a fight on the elevator which becomes slightly more annoying if you have only melee characters (switching out barret for Red as I did because god damn it I'm using that puppy). I feel this also adds to the replay value, going thru with a new group with a new set of characters.

I have 2 bros so when ff7 first came out we each chose the characters we'd have in our main team. Sadly my first choices were Red and Aeris. That.......that didn't last. But I got Vincent and god damn do I love Vincent. But having it as an option is good for those who want it.

racooperii likes this.
  17. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I meant in the three man team. So if I'm rocking Cloud, Barret and Tifa I can switch between controlling any one of them. Id rather not copy the X player swap mechanism.

My team had Aeris too, even got her final limit breaker...then she dies. Vincent is the s**t!

Carbonyl likes this.
  18. Mycroft

Mycroft Crystal Brave

Server:
    Hyperion
    Thinking about it, the change in gameplay for the combat sequences actually benefit Vincent and Yuffie, mostly due to it being able to mimic bits of the combat from DoC.
    Only, this time Vincent will be able to use all of his forms again. Granted that his Frankenstein and Hockey Mask killer forms were a bit trite. Mini-Behemoth for the win.

19. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

I'm actually in the middle of playing FFVII again. Using Vincent, Cloud, and Cid this playthrough. I might swap out Cid I always use him. Maybe for Tifa. >_<"

Vincent's Ultimate weapon is a pain in the butt to level up though. Tifa's weapon is weird since it's damage scales with her limit bar and kind of prevents you from using normal attacks.

racooperii and Mycroft like this.
  20. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Been thinking of DLing VII on my PS4, it's been a while since I last played it.

I usually have Cloud, Barret and Vincent. Ill swap out Barret for Tifa though.