Final Fantasy VII Remake

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by etherealskies, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Vice Administrator

Server:
    Phoenix

2. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Crystal Brave

Square Crony #1: Sir, a solid chunk of people from the last 3 generations of consoles having been saying for years now that they would all buy FF7 again if it was graphically updated. We wouldn't even have to hire new people to change the mechanics or story. It'll be an easy, quick way to recoup our losses, gain back favor, and allow us to continue milking the franchise for another couple of decades.

Square guy in charge of development: Great! Lets do that but also change things!!!!

Crony #1: wait, what?

3. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    Change is good.

Jinzuku likes this.
  4. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

They need to hurry up and take my money. XD

Jinzuku and Fybrile like this.
  5. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Crystal Brave

Change in inevitable. I would argue its rarely good :glee:

6. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    If you guys haven't been following the - lack of - news regarding this game, just wanted to mention that SE has said they are going to be dropping a lot of info about this game "during the winter". And, since it's been said that the release date announcement for FFXV will be in March 2016, we can be fairly certain that this news will be coming in December or early 2016, as they're not going to cannibalize hype for their other games.

Jinzuku likes this.
  7. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    I don't think they even know much about this game yet as I'm sure they are focusing all their attentions on FFXV. I would imagine once XV comes out then they will start putting more thought into VII.

Still hyped though.

8. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    Gameplay Trailer

Hope you liked FFXV's direction, cuz this is gonna essentially be a FFXV re-skin.

My thoughts? Meh. Some assets look directly lifted from FFXV. And, I think it'd be a big mistake to go with FFXV's battle system, considering you only get to control one character. I'd hope to control all the characters in a FFVII remake. All in all, looks a little average. Except Cloud's arms, which are ridiculous.

dr_jones likes this.
  9. racooperii

racooperii Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Bleh, not interested anymore. I'm tired of controlling only one character and button mashing my through RPG's like this....goodbye indepth materia system, hello washed out battle controls.

10. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

Waited my whole childhood life for this and this is what we get? They had years to develop this and we get reskinned FFXV? They just lost my money. :shifty:"

11. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I'm looking forward to FFXV and all, but I don't want VII to be a reskinned version. Really shows that SE is becoming a company only capable of rehashing things lol

Crimson Requiem likes this.
  12. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    To be honest, this is what I was expecting. Advent Children graphics on FFXV model.

There has been a lot of interviews since the trailer hit and looking at the trailer closely it might not be that closely related to FFXV. It looks like it's closer to games like Kingdom Hearts since there appears to be an ATB gauge. How it all works together is yet to be seen though.

It does look like the player has control of Barret at one point and even uses his limit break. Also, why is he wearing sunglasses?

JMATAWWCL likes this.
  13. delta5ff

delta5ff Scion

For any that may have missed the latest development, multiple sauces are confirming that it will released in several parts similar to an episodic game

From an ign article
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 7, 2015, Original Post Date: Dec 7, 2015 ---
    Also a kotaku article I just found

Jinzuku likes this.
  14. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    Indeed, I've started to see this too. Their reasoning is because of how much space it would take to get all the content of FFVII into the graphics displayed in the trailer.

I also read that they are keeping the cross-dressing scene in the remake, which I know was a question a lot of people had.

So far, I'm still liking what I'm reading. My question is, are they going to charge us for each of those episodes or will we buy it once and get the new episodes as they are released? I'm afraid to believe what I think will happen.

15. JMATAWWCL

JMATAWWCL Moderator

Server:
    Mateus
    Episodic? -_-

racooperii likes this.
  16. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I see episodic as a nice way of saying money grab. Unless what I pay for the disc entitles me to theall future updates without additional cost.

But...still not happy with the direction they've decided to take with it.

JMATAWWCL and Crimson Requiem like this.
  17. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    The worst part is, if they do charge for each episode I won't be able to stop myself from buying them :(

JMATAWWCL likes this.
  18. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Crystal Brave

Literally everyone who would pay for this: "Keep everything the same just update graphics"

SE: Changes everything and updates the graphics, doesn't understand why people don't buy it

racooperii and Jinzuku like this.
  19. Mycroft

Mycroft Crystal Brave

Server:
    Hyperion
    Well, we did know that they wanted to make sure it wasn't -just- an aesthetic upgrade.. Which in their words "wouldn't appeal to today's market".

So none of this really comes as a surprise to me.

And for those who can't be bothered to read the various interviews, here is a set of bullet points that I found on Neogaf:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    JMATAWWCL and delta5ff like this.
  20. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    I think the success of this remake will ultimately boil down to how much the players are going to cling to nostalgia rather than looking at the game as a remake.