FFARR community

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by solidarigee, Jun 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solidarigee

solidarigee Member

Hey there!

I was just wondering what the FFIV (or even the FFXI) community was like.

I'm a queer person of color, and I really got tired of how racist, homophobic, and sexist people were on WoW. In GWII I experienced very little (almost none at all, honest) of this crap.

I remember my friends and I could never really be in guilds because guys would hit on them (they're women) or they would say stupid s**t like the N word or call each other f*gg*ts all the time.

In GWII I just remember everyone being lovely and, even if they didn't know me and were just passing by, helping me in any way they could. The game was designed to encourage cooperation (working with other players helped you), as opposed to how WoW was designed in such a way that players compete (for drops and harvesting, etc).

So, what should I expect when I get into the FFIV community? Will I just be avoiding looking at the chat log the entire time, or will there be some really positive people to play with?

I know that all communities have good players and bad players, but I feel like different games have different kinds of bad players. I just don't want people who are constantly being offensive or think sexist jokes are great.
  2. Shigaru

Shigaru Active Member

The FF XI was a lot more mature but also more elitist. So for your case it would probably be fine. No one really knows what the overall FF XIV community will be like. Find a good guild (several of which are listed in the guild section) who accepts you. You have several months til launch, now is a good time to go sign up for guilds and test communities to be sure you get onto the correct server and in with the right guild.

So yeah. In my experience, the community is better in the whole acceptance and maturity aspect.
  3. Danforth Wright

Danforth Wright Well Known Member

It's largely very tolerant/acceptive of people of all races, sexuality, etc. I think you will still find the chat log full of racist and homophobic comments depending on the group you are with. In general chat it's pretty rare. My worst experiences were always when in group chats for parties or free companies. Even then most of them would stop immediately and even apologize if they knew how you felt about it. Unfortunately you're dealing with a bad habit found on the vast majority of the internet in general. A lot of times I find that people do it without knowing how offensive it is in the first place.
    Joker likes this.
  4. Sword

Sword Well Known Member

Well to be bunt, every online game, MMO, or social organization has "those" people, you're not going to escape them I'm afraid unless you cut yourself off from society itself. However, I will say if you ignore a majority of the stupid shouts and those said stupid people you should be fine.

But FFXIV does come with one good feature you can utilize for those aggravated cases called /blacklist. Basically that prevents you from seeing any text written by said person, additionally that prevents said person from trying to contact you and vice-versa as well.

I can't speak for all servers, but I know it was fairly tame on Hyperion, you still got the occasional douche but overall it wasn't bad.
  5. Colt47

Colt47 Active Member

I know as a former World of Warcraft raider who has been through pretty much all the different levels of raiding commitment, I'm going to be looking for a guild that likes scheduled group events. However, given the game is going to be fairly new even if guilds were to start forming pre-launch, unless the guild is established in another MMO and is moving over, there wont be a good feel for the community until a good few weeks or months into the game.
  6. Hyoda

Hyoda Active Member

Half the reason I'm coming to FFXIV ARR is because of the community. If the FFXI community jump ship and join us in ARR we will have a pretty tight community. But like mentioned above there are ALWAYS going to be some bad eggs out there but a click away from being ignored. By the way the players on this forum are nothing but good, informed and beautiful bunch! :woot: There is so much love here that I made a cream pie for everyone....have a slice.

[​IMG]
  7. lunar_seraphim

lunar_seraphim New Member

I can't speak for the FFXIV community, as my playtime only amounted to a whopping two days, but I can speak as a member of FFXI's. I found that community to be one of the most open, tolerant, and over-all friendly gaming community I've been a part of. It should be noted I haven't been a part of many though. ;) While I tend to keep my personal life just that, personal, I didn't hide my sexuality with my end-game LS and never had much of a problem. There were occasional comments that have become oh too familiar, but as Danforth mentioned, it tends to come from a place of not knowing rather than blatant bigotry.

I can't speak for other gaming communities and I don't want to demean other MMOs, but I think distinct differences in the mechanics fostered this respect among players. It was more often the case players committed themselves to a single character and thus a single identity. When players make that decision, it's easier to be held accountable for your actions, so players didn't needlessly step on each other's toes without consequence. I think in MMOs where common practice is to play multiple alts, it may be easier to get away with abusive actions. I have no experience in such MMOs, so I can't say that with certainty, but it's just how I feel.

So what this all means in XIV is since most players will commit themselves to a single character, we'll see attitudes similar to those in XI. Many people in XIV will be known as a single identity, and I doubt anyone wants to be known for being abusive or hateful behavior. There are those bad apples, though. :rolleyes:

Again it's not my intention to generalize any gaming community. I've had LGBTQ friends who've played several other MMOs, like WoW which was mentioned, and haven't experienced negative behavior. I speak only of personal experience and my own perspective. I think it's more about who you surround yourself with, rather than the game as a whole.
    HappyTonic and Hyoda like this.
  8. solidarigee

solidarigee Member

Thanks for all the great responses! I'm looking forward to this game, and I think I'll check out the guilds!

Also, I totally agree that the structure of a game changes how people interact with each other!
    Danforth Wright likes this.
  9. Aster

Aster Active Member

You won't have many problems with the FFXIV community as most of the playerbase came from FFXI (And brought the good parts of that community with them), you'll still have "Those people" (most that come from other toxic mmo communities) to deal with in the game however, but they are few and some limit their inner-circles to linkshells anyway.
  10. Joygasm

Joygasm Well Known Member

I notice more homosexual comments far more than race, but not even to be derogatory towards gay people, just the common use of the word itself.

Considering how awful and regressed the west still is, try to let those comments roll of your back.
    Danforth Wright likes this.
  11. solidarigee

solidarigee Member

Pshaw, if the majority of the community is as wonderful as y'all, I ain't got nothin' to worry 'bout.
  12. Hyoda

Hyoda Active Member

Flattery will get you everywhere :rolleyes:
    FloDaddelt and ethanrae like this.
  13. Topscribe

Topscribe Member

In my experience, the community is very 'tight knit' or 'close'. Not in the sense that they shun new people but instead they accept just about anybody. There is always going to be a bad apple but the majority of the people are very respectful of one another. They almost treat each other like family!

and no, I was not a part of any cult... to my knowledge. :p
  14. Orien

Orien Well Known Member

Well XI was good. To be fair XIV is trying to market more to the WoW crowd than XI ever was so I would say we're going to have to wait and see.

The beta forums have not been a place where nastiness as far as bigotry has gone on yet. XIV 1.0 was not a home to such behavior either so it makes me keep my hopes high. I am also a guy of color myself and through my long years shared between XI and XIV 1.0 I rarely ever encountered such nonsense.
  15. Sprite

Sprite Active Member

Ah, WONDERFUL, yet another enlightened soul to join the cadre of complex and completely CAPITAL people already here. I look forward to interacting with you more!o_O
    On to your semi-question: FFXI and by extension FFXIV have been positively delightful communities for me. I've met a lot of really great people and I just have to say that your concerns are based in a reality of the internet community that, thankfully, doesn't reach very deep into either of those aforementioned games. The people are simply wonderful. I'd take this fansite as an above average poling of people out there. The people here are wonderful and fun. The other people you'll meet will be only slightly less fun.
    Granted we still have that horrible homophobia to battle with as unfortunate as that is, it's still a reality. You'll get this anywhere you group together a large number of adolescent males. Thankfully the target audience of this game isn't that demographic and so the adolescent males who do join this community will probably be far friendlier and accepting than the average of their peerage. Also, this is 2013. Times they are a'changing. (Queue Bob Dylan) We won't have to deal with that kind of backwards exclusionary reactionary bigotry for too many more years, at least that's what I like to tell myself.
    In any event, I've very nearly crit you with a wall of text, so I'll stop right here. I'll just say that it's wonderful to have another gay person in the community, frankly this world would be boring as all hell without us.
    In the past I've left pictures of sweater kittens to apologize for my rude wall of text behavior, as that's not entirely appropriate here, and it because it pleases me immensely to get to do this instead of the other, I'll apologize like this:
    joe-manganiello-photo-41.jpg
    solidarigee and Danforth Wright like this.
  16. Answa Martes

Answa Martes Realm Scribe

I was actually part of a pretty large LS consisting of gay individuals on Balmung. Aside from that concentrated dose, I've always been open about my sexuality and was met with zero resistance. Pretty much everyone is fine with it in my experience (and I partied a lot with pickups).

There's nothing to worry about.
    Sprite likes this.
  17. Hyoda

Hyoda Active Member

You should really stop posting pictures of me *flips hair*
    ethanrae, Danforth Wright and Sprite like this.
  18. Sprite

Sprite Active Member

Hahaha, awesome!
  19. Answa Martes

Answa Martes Realm Scribe

Can I lick you?
    ethanrae and Sprite like this.
  20. Sprite

Sprite Active Member

This got dirty fast. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I post some Joe pics.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.