Fate Fantasy...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rohirrim4, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Rohirrim4

Rohirrim4 Adventurer

I love this game. Is the first quality game comes out after long time. But Fates are slowly killing the Game for me. I think they also kill the group gameplay. Dungeons are empty while people mindless roaming from fate to fate. There is nothing that reminds group gameplay..there are no thinking, no strategy.. just “get there as quick as you can and spam whatever action will get you the highest contribution. The fates difficulty increase when more people are nearby, but instead of increasing mobs difficulty it simple spawn more mobs and it just makes it more frustrating for non-AOE classes.

Today talked with a friend and told him that the first guildhest gives a nice bonus xp, the answer was : "lol, thats 2 fates..10 minutes". And he is right..Fates are ridiculously the most Efficient way by far to level. But in the other hand, the same person, asked for my help(I play tank) in order to do the first 3 dungeons +ilfrit cause he was waiting over an hour to join the dungeon. And is normal..why the heck anyone will do dungeons on leveling since they have fates?

This is why I didn’t liked GW2..Also I don’t think that this type of play promotes server community. There are no talking, no organizing group, only mindless roaming and tag as much mobs as you can. Even if you join a group for fates, is the same thing..no strategy, no talking, just more tags from your groupmates..If they like group content outside of instances it is better to have a lot of group quests or world mini-bosses than this mindless and speechless “dynamic events”.

Of course the quick answer is, “if you don’t like it don’t do it”. That would be true if not the 80% of people did this. So the rest 20% of us we either suck it and jump in to mindless roaming that also happens to be the most efficient leveling way, or we play alone, waiting xxx time for a dungeon that will not even give 70% xp that we could get by running fates the same time.

Anyway, I really like the game and I would like to level all the classes to the end cause I like them all, but if things don’t change and I must either play alone in an un-efficient leveling path or suck it and run fates, then I see myself get bored and frustrated pretty quickly. Lucky enough, I still have the crafting classes that give me lot of fun..

xusha, Sriracha, ilmaestro and 2 others like this.
  2. Kolossus

Kolossus Vice Admin

Server:
    Diabolos
    The people that you talk about skipping dungeon crawls in favor of spamming FATEs, are the same people who will have s**t gear when it's time to do the level 50 dungeons. And this is why I only tend to do things with my own FC, or the FC that we work very closely with. Everyone in them cares not only about progression and leveling, but about gear and performance.

No one wants to have to carry someone through a 4/8/24 person encounter in their level 20/25 gear, just to have them want to lot items. Mindlessly leveling your classes/jobs is relatively easy, but you have to put some effort into your gear and maximizing the potential of your job to really be useful in the higher level dungeons/encounters. This is personally what I will be looking for with new members, now that people are leveling up to be able to run harder things.

Elisar, Shroomie, Duvain and 3 others like this.
  3. ancientdeity

ancientdeity Crystal Brave

Very good points to why Fates are dominant in leveling up characters. It is pretty sad that dungeon queues are suffering at the moment since Fates are really more efficient for leveling up. We actually brought this up in our guild and kinda go out of our way to run alts through dungeons as a guild to not just get gear but to help low level people get through the story and just experience these fun dungeons. I really doubt there will be any change to this since Fate's are pretty much here to stay, in future updates we will be getting special Fates that have references to other games or previous characters with special loot as a reward as an example. I hope you don't get bored too fast, there are plans for lots of updates with additional content including hard mode dungeons, a 24 man raid, and mini games which i'd like to get more information on. :p

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    ilmaestro and Rohirrim4 like this.
  4. Heras Death

Heras Death Crystal Brave

I am not having the same problem as you, I must be playing a different game..

I have enjoyed my journey in this game so far, seeing 43 levels in this game has made me learnt alot. The game actually encourages you to get to end game because the way I see it now is, end game = start of the real game. I cannot tell you just HOW much fun I am having running lv40+ dungeons. I been helping out alot of new low levels on my guild run the easier dungeons and you will realise that the game slowly gives you harder and harder mechanics.

Fates are no brainer, grind to all MMO games. They are there for people that hate quests but hey these people get punished because you cannot unlock dungeons without progressing story so eventually these people that lack the skill to run dungeons will be trained up due to the story. There are alot of in experienced players in this game, there are alot of people that does not know their role, but that is to be expected. Sooner or later only die hard FF fans will remain subbed and you can have your peace then.

I know alot of friends who level up just by story and leves and hardly grind, infact my buddy list are mixed. Alot of people dislike grinding but I personally only care about seals as I love my GC Green gears (only 3 non green gears at lv43). There are alot of people who feel the same as you, just goto get out there and make friends with them.

Also I have to disagree with you on no strategy on fates, have your tried 3 part fates? Or have you tried Dragon/ Ogre? If so, good luck soloing that fate as you will need a party and some sort of strategy. Ogre can 1 hit wipe your entire front row DPS, as well as dragon.

5. Rohirrim4

Rohirrim4 Adventurer

@Kolossus you don't need level 15-40 dungeons to gear up for the level 50 ones...you can buy armor at 50 from grand company or from market..I don't know if they care or not about gear and performance, I care about the result of fates. People will always chose the efficient way, no matter what. Running content with FC is also little tricky cause not all are in the same level and if your FC is small (mine we are 26 people) then is not so easy to find 4 people on your level..sometimes happen but most times it doesn't

@Heras Death leveling your first character is pretty easy through the main story and quests. Leveling alts is just all about grind mindless fates. You don't even play your character as is intented to play him, you go into a fate stressed to tag as much mobs as you can often using only one ability..there is no reason to play right, you only need to play "smart". I don't understand why there is content that "promote" incorrect usage of class abilities. I also did not tried the fates you mention :) cause I skip the fates as much as I can. I "grind" company seals by crafting turn-ins and Guildleves.

@ancientdeity Agree 100%. I will try my best to ignore it as much as I can and play end-game dungeons-raids with my FC. It just happens that I also love alt classes and think about the game long term..imagine a player that will start in a month and want to do the first dungeons that he cannot skip or the guildhests...I was also hyped because this was suppose to be a traditional MMO not guild wars 2

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  6. JeckylTesla

JeckylTesla Crystal Brave

FATEs or these "real time events" are the new way to level and make things interesting for people. It started off in Rift, which did it really well. Because unlike "Oh s**t, centaurs are attacking!" Rifts made sense, also they weren't the best way to level, but gave good rewards.

7. fluttersnipe

fluttersnipe Crystal Brave

I think I've done maybe 10 FATES in progress so far, and its only because they happened to start while I was walking through an area.

And I think maybe duty finder is just taking awhile because youre DPS possibly. I get queu'd I stantly because Im a tank, dps have always had 30 minute or more wait for dungeons.

They're a neat distraction, but so far its just spam fests.

WhiteWinged7 likes this.
  8. Heras Death

I que 2 dungeons a night after work, whether it is a repeat dungeon or new, or existing that i cant pass (cutters cry lv38, never passed it due to trolls or in experience healer/ tank etc). Rest of the time I half role play my character aka questing..that gives me a perfect scenario to roleplay a bit, and I only grind fate when I need to update my gear. I REALLY want the GC Maelstrom lv44 Hook (MNK), I need to grind 5k for this, plus reach lv44 and ask for promotion. I will grind tonight :)

I dont grind for no reason, but it is fine dude I dont find it a chore really.

9. fluttersnipe

fluttersnipe Crystal Brave

@JeckylTesla Rift's invasions were freaking awesome! I always joined in on them if I was in the area. Square should look to rift for ideas on creating newer ones. Having the ENTIRE zone come to the defense of a town because a god was about to kill everyone in it was a great motivater :D, I never really cared about the rifts, but when a zone was under a full scale invasion you could bet your ass Id be front and center for the final assault on the towns!

FF should add an element like that to some of the fates!

Lucien McFly likes this.
  10. Lucien McFly

Lucien McFly Crystal Brave

Thatd be pretty awesome

Shroomie likes this.
  11. Rohirrim4

Rohirrim4 Adventurer

@fluttersnipe I play tank as well as my main character :)I have a 5 min que at most. But when I play an "alt" class dps I wait around an hour. I wasn't only speaking for my self, but from what I have experienced from the game in general and from my FC. People complaign about the que being too long, others get stuck on dungeons they cannot skip due to story quest, e.t.c. I don't remember how many times I did the first 3 dungeons + ilfrit as a tank to help guildmates pass through. I just see the big picture of the game, and that say to me that fates make the rest of the content "Obsolete". Maybe not for the first class you level because of the story, but it sure does for the rest of the classes you want to level..

@Heras Death I get my seals from daily crafting turn-ins since I have all the crafting classes to 25-30. This neted me tons of seals. I already got the first 3 promotions and have also 6k seals now but i cannot promote more cause I have to complete the hunting log first..

Anyway, my concern was not only for my self but for the game in general and for the people that might happen to join the game later on and try to do dungeons... As of now I don't want to level my alt classes(my main is a Gladiator) cause I have to do fates..no more story quests to do and no fast que to dungeons because 80% of the people don't even bother with dungeons...

Fates have the best xp/hour, they don't require for you to play right or to know your class and also does not require any social activity and most important they don't involve any risk as to happen to be in a group with people that don't know how to play and "waste" time and effort. It is a win-win-win-win situation.

12. Lucien McFly

Lucien McFly Crystal Brave

@Rohirrim4 well the ques are only long for the dps is jist because there are not enough tank and healers to match up with all the dps classes. If they added different tank and healer classes to amount to their dps classes then maybe they would even out their populations.

@that last paragraph.

Well they may not know how to play but to even access the end game content they will have to do the story quests in which they will learn how to play the game and know how to use their class/job. So in reality its a win-win-win-win-won situation /:

13. Cynessae

Cynessae Crystal Brave

While I do enjoy some FATEs and FATE grinding occasionally (usually with friends), I do think they were not implemented correctly. Rift is an awesome example of what should have been done. Sure, you can have your FATEs that require you to mindlessly attack things - that's fine. But, to make them larger scale, zone-wide, attacking a town, etc.

Just imagine a FATE where dragons attack Dragonhead (ironic, no?) from all sides. Aside from being an awesome event, it will also spread people out, because there are three entrances/exits to that city. I think the clusterfrak of people is partly why FATEs are so "meh" for me, not necessarily that they're "the best way to level". Although, I will admit that I think experience gain from a dungeon should be increased a bit.

As far as the queues and lack of people doing dungeons, I don't think there are a lack of people doing dungeons. I think there are over twice as many DPS jobs as there are healing and tanking jobs at 30+, which is why the queue is so much longer for DPS. I'm always grouped up with a tank or healer friend, so I don't notice it as much, but those issues certainly exist, and it is always that way in any MMO with a "duty finder". The DPS classes far outweigh the amount of tanks and healers.

Heras Death likes this.
  14. Rohirrim4

Rohirrim4 Adventurer

@Lucien McFly They can also be carried through their main story quest by friends/guildmates...Well maybe I didn't said it very good, cause I really don't mind with people that don't know how to play well and is good that there is content for them too..it is a game after all, not job :) the problem is that even if you know how to play your class, in fates most of the time you are "forced" not to play good just to maximize you contribution. Spamming an aoe button, or tagging lot of mobs with dots, is not the correct play style but is the most rewarding in fates..

Also I don't think that there are not enough tanks...from the 10 people I see, the 5 of them are gladiators :) in my FC also we have lot of tanks/healers. Dungeons are just not efficient compared with fates. They are also more risky..if a bad group happens it may take you long time to complete and some times you may not even complete in the higher level dungeons. So unless you have a full group of friends to join, "it doesn't worth it". Dungeons should be more efficient because they are more difficult too. Running dungeons should be double xp/hour than fates.

I am not against fates, but against their efficiency/difficulty compared to the rest content.

Seifen likes this.
  15. Heras Death

Heras Death I get my seals from daily crafting turn-ins since I have all the crafting classes to 25-30. This neted me tons of seals. I already got the first 3 promotions and have also 6k seals now but i cannot promote more cause I have to complete the hunting log first..

Anyway, my concern was not only for my self but for the game in general and for the people that might happen to join the game later on and try to do dungeons... As of now I don't want to level my alt classes(my main is a Gladiator) cause I have to do fates..no more story quests to do and no fast que to dungeons because 80% of the people don't even bother with dungeons...

Fates have the best xp/hour, they don't require for you to play right or to know your class and also does not require any social activity and most important they don't involve any risk as to happen to be in a group with people that don't know how to play and "waste" time and effort. It is a win-win-win-win situation.[/quote]

ah good post! I am on GC Hunting Log 3 now (final log as of released). I finished the first 2, this allows me to purchase up to lv42 GC gear, full crested armor chocobo barding along with nice weapons and rings necklaces what not. It really is well worth it! I actually need 5k more seals for the lv44 hook (MNK) as well as probably 8k -9k on top to promote as i need the next rank to unlock lv44 weapons. I get about 200-250 seals for a few minute fate, you are 100% right in the fact that fate is just so efficient in what it does.

Since i have limited time on this game, I can have 1 main character and thats about it. I am perfectly happy with this and I am waiting for my samurai to come :D

If you were in Levi, I will run dungeons with you all day xD

16. Seifen

Seifen Crystal Brave

I took 2 of my friends into Qarn yesterday. Tank, DPS, and me as a healer. Took 10 mins to find another DPS. As it turns out, this person was still wearing some level 1-10 gear. They won alot of the mage gear that dropped, so at leas they'll be better equipped for the next dungeon they get carried through.

My 4 man FC are dreading getting to endgame and having to sift through the players who have farmed fates to level 50. I wholly disagree that the game starts at endgame. There is ALOT of exciting and challenging content and mechanics to battle through on the way there, and I believe its in the interest of most players to do it. Not skip it, and then claim you'll learn at 50.

Fates are the worst aspect of this game atm. And all of this contributes to a toxic community at endgame. Promoting intolerance.

Kimmy, Rohirrim4 and JeckylTesla like this.
  17. JeckylTesla

JeckylTesla Crystal Brave

I couldn't agree to this more. I wouldn't disagree to FATEs giving a bit less exp and a few more quests or another avenue of leveling to be included.

For example, exploration. One thing I LOVED with GW2 was that you could pretty much level up a bit with exploration. The puzzles and everything, it was immensely gratifying. I'd like more of that, though I don't think it'd work so much in this game.

18. Rohirrim4

Rohirrim4 Adventurer

@Seifen thats also a big problem too...someone that level with fates and turn out to do a dungeon or a solo quest have problem due to the gear. The hard way is to buy gear from the market, level up crafting and gear himself or manage to get some friends carry him through some dungeons to gear up..the easy way?just continue make fates..

19. Heras Death

Seals is actually my in game currecny. I dont know what Gil is for :p so I barely touch it. But I have done Qarn, Cutters, Vigil to this point and I know them quite well. I enjoy going to dungeon. Last night at Cutters a WHM was wearing bikini and refused to put clothes on, wiped us 6 times and blamed DPS for bad job....couldnt even pass first boss!

20. WhiteWinged7

WhiteWinged7 Crystal Brave

lol ok OP I didnt have time to read the rest of the posts at the bottom but I got the jist of the thread.

What you saying is FATE give you to much exp (you forgot they give the most GC seals to so its not just about exp) your saying this is affecting dungeons which I highly doubt. What is actually affecting dungeons is the rift between the casuals and the lvl 50's already lol and also the same thing that happens in every single MMO to date. Tank and healer ratio to DPS if you play in a party or make some friends one of the main purpose to this game. If your having trouble leveling you simply need to make friends and party with them.

My best friend is an archer DPS lvl 28 and he gets insta que because we que together and im a tank. I just dont agree that anything in this game other than people spending either to much time leveling before the rest of us or not enough. Its a simple population rift due to the server problems it will go away or you will figure out how to make friends and dungeon up when the pug system fails you.

I really cant imagine but I could be wrong that anyone could be so dumb that they level only fates and not get any gear?
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 10, 2013 ---

even though that is completely unfair to the party for the WHM to not optimize herself/himself how could the WHM armor wipe the party its the tanks responsibility to not let aggro get drawn.