Featured Podcast Episode 20 - The One That Turned into an Epic Rant

Discussion in 'The Realm Noticeboard' started by Fybrile, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry
    The Echo Podcast Crew is back!

Listen to our latest episode HERE: http://ffxivrealm.com/media/the-echo-episode-20-the-one-that-turn-into-an-epic-rant.218/media

Featuring...

@Fybrile
    @Maaja
    @joshua david
    @Kolossus

Does what it says on the tin. In this comparatively short episode, Joshua unexpectedly finds Fybrile's "Rant On" button, Fybrile sets a new record for bleeps, and Kolossus has a great idea for expanding our listenership. Apologies for the delay since our last episode. We had actually recorded an episode earlier, but just couldn't fit all the pieces together in time for pre-patch 3.1.

We're taking a break from segments this episode, and just giving our casual review of patch 3.1, and then a rant about the state of the game. You have been warned!

Please like and subscribe to our own new YouTube channel HERE.

Our Facebook Page also needs some love, HERE.

And our Twitter Feed is going unfed, HERE.

If you're interested in being a part of The Echo, we'd love to hear from you! Send us your plugs, you shout-outs, your achievements, your pre-recorded segments, we'd love to give them a spot in one of our upcoming episodes!

Enjoy!!! ~

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    Sword, JMATAWWCL and Jinzuku like this.
  2. racooperii

racooperii Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I'm going to have to listen to this later and see if you rant in the same fashion I did in my(Shameless Plug!) thread Problems plaguing the game.

Can't wait to hear a real Fybrile rant!

3. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry
    There's a lot of bleeps.

4. joshua david

joshua david Crystal Brave

Server:
    Cactuar
  5. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Was a good episode, and @joshua david is quickly becoming one of my fav people.

The game really is stale right now and I won't do Diadem for the loot (I don't even go to S ranks because not fun), so with my AST being done on Eso I'm now just queueing as a NIN for Rav EX/Titan EX for funzies when I'm on. Either that or helping FC farm ponies or something.

joshua david likes this.
  6. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Finally listened to the podcast. And once again @Fybrile I more or less agree with you. The game feels like it's forcing you to replay content instead of making content I want to replay.

@Maaja what you described about having to find people to do Chimera and Hydra is what a lot of older MMOs were like. You were forced to interact with the people on your server to get things done and really built on its community.

I still think focusing on Open World content instead of this instanced bullshit would help breath some life into the game. Why make the maps as big as they are when there is NOTHING to do in them.

7. Grupt

Grupt Loremaster

Server:
    Cerberus
    you all sound so disenchanted, I feel the same. I played this with my long time girlfriend...since she *disappeared* I use my time to find the cool people on Cerberus/helping new players and pushing that sweat Warrior brute dps by soloing s**t...like sunken temple of qarn ....that..F&^$*ng VICE GRANT A&#HOLE ...40 F&%*ING MINUTES TO KILL HIM SOLO..SO MUCH RAGE, SO MANY LAG CHEAP SHOTS. That moment I killed him I yelled at the top of my lungs 'I GOT YA YOU GOLD PLATED A$%#HOLE..I tracked off ...

Point is your right. I for one didn't care about 3.1 , I mean void ark is cool but I got 8 months of grinding ahead of me if I plan to take my 3 Zetas to the Anima *it that is what they plan on calling it* stage..I know it's a grind but atleast it knows it's a grind and doesn't try blowing smoke up my arse and try to convince me it's cutting edge shiny new bullshit.

wait does that mean I get to be lore master for another month ?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    Fybrile likes this.
  8. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry
    Yep yep. You haven't been dethroned yet ^^ Also, because you tagged "HOLE", which I don't know if I need to censor...

Despite how I sound, I wouldn't label myself as disenchanted quite yet. I'm still enchanted. I would label my current state as "waiting", increasingly impatiently, and becoming frustrated. I think many players right now are just tired of the same old recipe, and it's time for SE to recognize that and offer up a new dish.

9. Grupt

Grupt Loremaster

Server:
    Cerberus
    OK was I the only one to notice how "Safe" this patch was.. hey it was ok..no complains ...just a little ..lacking. The Main story was like 4 missions long and yeah it was cool...just ..lacking. ok Members of the realm this patch was brought to you by the number 3 and the word Lacking

Fybrile and Jinzuku like this.
  10. GothicSyn

GothicSyn Adventurer

Server:
    Lamia
    OK well cos you guys sound a little .... depressed with the game I figure I will give you this, the weekend that 3.1 dropped I was a little behind with things, I got the Heavensward story done, but I'd been a little side tracked with levelling something other than the stupid a** Mage Bard so much hatred for what they did to my beloved Bard.

So anyways irrelevant but I had set aside some time to try and do the 3.1 story but had a crappy time with the week not quite going to plan, but as Saturday hit I found a groove I couldn't ever repeat, the night started with me dropping A2, A3, A4 I was so stoked I ran off to grab some new gear my first piece of ESO for Bard the coat (I know I complained about it BUT it's currently my only Level 60 Class). I then managed to get the rest of my i170 Law Gear and then top this by finishing the 3.1 story (and report a mistake). From this I was able to do the two new dungeons Pharos Hard & the Arboretum. Then finally I was able to get through Void Ark and in doing so upgrade my i200 to i210.

I came to FF14 late around 2.4 before I actually started playing, I also got Heavensward a month after it's release so until now I've always been playing catch up (I also restarted the game from scratch when I moved from Phoenix to Lamia). So now been caught up I'm quite happy at where I am in terms of game progression. I also managed to push several classes to level 15 and my White Mage to 34. My Arcanist hit 30 and I've been pretty much focused on Scholar since then my aim is of course now learning to heal. So yea that is probably my biggest achievement in game to date in the year I've been playing and certainly the last 4 months of play.

joshua david and Fybrile like this.
  11. joshua david

joshua david Crystal Brave

Server:
    Cactuar
    lol i always worry that im going to sound like a negative nancy.
    its an odd thing to really like something but to be completely frustrated by it.
    i think i get so sour because ive played for so long, probably too much, and come to expect/demand quarterly updates.
    i miss the times when everyday felt like reset day (love reset day) but now its nails tapping on the desk by friday.
    i just dont know if SE can keep up with content locusts like myself.

12. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I think content consumption is a very real issue with MMOs compared to other games.

MOBAs and FPS games have the benefit of being competitive games, so long as you add maps, skins or characters people will keep coming back.

For the most part MMOs are cooperative games, so the environment needs constant adding and retweaking to retain interest. Old school MMOs fought consumption by making the leveling process longer and more difficult, sometimes down right punishing for failure (Aka XP Loss).

For me, particularly of the problem is nothing in the game has a sense of danger or adventure. I know the monsters are on short tethers so having Train to Zone shouts don't happen anymore (Sad panda) and for the most part Mob distribution is like Korean F2P(Mobs of a certain variety/level are grouped in one maybe two areas. Look at the Mob Placement once and tell me it's not strange that those of the same typr are all neatly gathered in one spot.). I would love having a level 30 mob in a Level 15 zone without a tether to baby the player base.

The games too safe, there's no real fear of failure or in game death, no fear of wandering into a new zone, even the fear of equipment damage is negligible because it's so cheap to fix.

Runic and GothicSyn like this.
  13. Terren333

Terren333 New Member

I said it before and I'll say it again: If you care enough to complain it shows you still care, and want the game to be all that it can.

I agree with Fybriles comment in that it feels like waiting. I've managed to find a lot of enjoyment in levelling Summoner but I hit 59 last night, so I'll need something else to occupy my time soon.

racooperii and GothicSyn like this.
  14. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Oh I absolutely care. I've put in a lot of time and money towards the game and want it to be a shining example of MMOs and SEs creativity.

I even have an emotional investment with the friends I have made in the game and have a very hard time leaving people behind. I just know SE is capable of more, we've seen them do some amazing things, take chances that may or may not have paid off.

The game just feels too safe. They aren't taking chances with it and now is the time to really take a chance to do so. They have built a loyal enough following that we could weather a few experimental ideas over the formula they have now.

GothicSyn likes this.
  15. nobopyon

nobopyon Crystal Brave

I can understand how most of you guys feel about lacking of contents to challenge you, excite you, etc... and it doesn't feel like MMO it should be.

I have stated this on other forum that this is my first MMO, therefore, I can't say/compare too much with others, but only my experience in FFXIV (since beta phase), but I feel like there is enough tools/features there to make you to excite/challenge or whatever you are looking for.

For example, 3.1 patch, biggest thing for me was Thordan Ex, the difficulty reminds me of, back in Titan EX days, you have to have a good party to clear the fight. It took me almost 1 week to finally clear it.

Ever since then, I have been making Thordon Ex learning party almost everynight (including last night) try to play/help with different ppl (or same ppl who always join my learning party on PF).
    I have so much fun doing it.. at the same time frustrated because of those 1% wipe or just can't clear at all.

My point is, it is MMO, it is possible for you to use the tool provided by the game and make fun out of it.

GeekMatt likes this.
  16. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I simultaneously agree and disagree with you. The game is highly repetitive at endgame. I'm sure Thordan is fun, but once cleared I see little in the way of wanting to run it again save for a glamor...which for most people simply isn't enough. This is the same of any content currently in 3.1, it's all dead end content that relies on the Token Grinding as its main form of "content ".

While I can and do make my own fun being in an RP FC, it saddens me that the scenarios and ideas we come up with for free are more interesting than the content people are getting paid to design. It simply shouldn't be that way and never used to be that way.

Are there things to do, yes. Do they all feel the same, I would again say yes. Nothing is really different between 2.55 endgame and 3.1 endgame. Theyre still following the same ridged roadmap. The dungeons are all too similar, the 24 man raid as its been said CT Lite, Diadem has potential but in its early stages feels too much like Hunts/FATEs.

We got new things that feel used.

17. nobopyon

nobopyon Crystal Brave

-edit-
    I should have state first, that I'm not disagreeing what you are saying. It's more like how "I" make it out of it to have more fun in this game
    -edit end-

Just curious, after you clear titan HM/EX once then you didn't go back and run again with your friends, FC mates to help their clear, and not have fun? if this is a single person game, then the Thordan EX fight will be sure to be repetitive, exactly same, however, this being MMO, meaning you are raiding with 7 other people, every run will be slightly different, or alot different depending how many new ppl in a group.

Of course, you will be done with it once you clear once, if you don't care for the drop and help other clearing, but for me, i find more fun out of running with 7 other ppl, learning/clear/wipe/frustration etc, that's where I find this game fun (and yes, sometimes frustrating).

It could be just me, but I don't know, I like the challenge of the fight, and I like running with different ppl/helping ppl clear (when I'm able to help), then onto savage.

18. Bizant

Bizant Scion

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Yeah, I think the issue of difficulty is probably the main one. I cannot believe how easy this game is. Difficulty level is just such a massive component in what makes something fun. The reason I don't play Hello Kitty's Crazy Adventure* or whatever the heck isn't because it features Hello Kitty. I'm sure she's a badass, so I'm cool with that. The reason I don't play it is because I assume it's ridiculously easy. And it's probably poorly designed, but mainly because it would be too easy.

There's a 100% correlation between the enjoyment I get out of FFXIV content, and the difficulty level of that content. I love ex primals and could genuinely run them all day, and they're really difficult. Alex Savage and Coil I could also run all day, and they go from kind of tricky to insanely difficult. And then there's... everything else. At this point, I can't be bothered with anything else. I find it really, really difficult to get into something if there's truly no challenge whatsoever.

IMHO, a game can only get away with demanding you spend this much time on content that provides utterly no challenge is when the game has a control scheme that's in itself simply a joy to use. Think of something like Mirror's Edge, for example. That game was pretty easy a lot of the time, and that was fine, because it was just so much fun to leap around those gorgeous environments. If the control system is deep, nuanced, and engaging, nobody cares if it's easy. The fun is just to experience it.

But when you get a game like an MMORPG, which really can't be an experience like that, you better believe that s**t needs to be difficult. The control in FFXIV is enjoyable enough; it feels pretty good to hit stuff because the animations and sounds are satisfying, and the semi-real-time combat system means you're fairly actively in control (as opposed to a turn-based system where you're passively in control and really don't feel like you're the one doing the hitting). But at the end of the day, it's nowhere near deep enough to support the player's enjoyment through countless hours of content all by itself. This is exactly where you need difficulty to keep the player engaged. And 95% of this game doesn't have that at all.

I know I'm especially driven by difficulty, but this must feed into everyone's experience to some extent. I love raiding on the weekend with my group of lovable mentalists, and fortunately I'm geared enough to do that without doing anything else. But when it comes time to up the ilevel again, and start on the next grind, I don't know if I'll survive. That might be my time to peace out.

*Game may not actually exist.

racooperii likes this.
  19. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Now I'm going to come off as an asshole here, I know this and am fully embracing it. But I honestly have no patience to teaching, learning yes...teaching no. If I'm doing what I need to do at 110% and we wipe, we'll it's not because of my skill...and if I cause the wipe I work that much harder for it.

I don't mind "helping" someone clear something or being in a learning run. My problem is I do tend to recognize patterns and once I get it, then I'm ready to move on. 3 wipes is about as far as my patience lasts these days unless noticeable progress is being made. Sounds elitest, I know, but I can't stand when someone noticeably holds me back and is also a major reason I Don't actively raid in XIV...because I would be an elitest asshole...so I'd rather do the leisure activities and high end stuff when it's aged and isn't a big deal anymore.

But I do love Titan EX, I would run that forever and a day. But it's aged and is no longer part of "Progressive" content so Im more leisure with wipes.

20. nobopyon

nobopyon Crystal Brave

you should make a party with your friends/ppl you know to go in with synced. :idea:

omg, i forgot how easy tank melt there.. lol :raaage:

First time, our WAR tank was like to other tank, we don't have to swap, I can take it... after 3 stack, he melt with tableflop :ermahgerd: