Epic Quests

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sixx, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Sixx

Sixx Member

How do you guys feel about epic quests ala EQ / EQ2? I really love the long story arcs, trips across the world and even some camping for rare (but not TOO rare) mobs and dungeon crawls. Nothing like having a bad ass weapon at the very end. I didn't like the GW2 legendary quests....they felt very, very grindy and uninteresting. I'd much rather a epic quest be about story and challenges than about farming tons of mats/money.

Anyone know if there are plans for this type of content in FFXIVAAR (was it in FFXI?) ?

Happy hump day :) Wish it was tomorrow so I could get some actual new news on the game!
  2. DejaVu

DejaVu Member

If you think the GW2 legendary quests were grindy and uninteresting.. Multiply that by 100 for FFXI's relic weapons! It took some people years to finish. Unless you either 1) bought a ton of gil with real money or 2) had your guild farm for you and give you all the currency needed for it. I'm sure some people got it on their own maybe with tons of crafting for a year or so but it was ridiculous. I had lots of friends who spent a lot of time and money only to abandon it half way through years later.
  3. Balaur

Balaur Active Member

I was able to try two of these, in WoW, during Wrath of the Lich King, for an awesome two-handed weapons ... but in the end, the heavy dedication to raiding required for them is a put-off.

If they have these types of quests, world-spanning and such, it should involve some things that can be done solo, or even entirely, if truly dedicated, but also permits players to work with you, and help you. But the exclusive nature of many of these, forcing groups to bow to the needs of the one (group can only complete a given quest for a given player, such as one guy having to ride in the Abomb suit fighting Putrecide), is something that I think should be avoided.
  4. Sixx

Sixx Member

@DejaVu yeah that sounds like something that would make mew chew my fingers off ;) Though if some love it great!

@Balaur I actually never went after them in WoW, even though I played for years. My raiding days were mainly Vanilla and they didn't have a druid legendary back then.

I really REALLY liked the way they were implemented in EQ2. Lots of story and questing around the world. Much of it could be done solo but for some harder parts you'd have to get a small group and then towards the end there were raid elements. But didn't require a hardcore commitment to raiding. I believe the upgraded version of the legendary required more raiding.
  5. DejaVu

DejaVu Member

There's always a fine line between making things to easy and people losing interest and making things to tedious and long to keep people playing longer. I personally wouldn't care if it took me a year to get something if it was based on story quests and fun fights and good content. It's when its "do this instance 3 times a week for a year to get what you want" that i really get bored and lose interest.
    Madmex and Sixx like this.
  6. Balaur

Balaur Active Member

How about the tier 0.5 armor set? THAT one was fantastic and difficult, deep and involving (you went EVERYWHERE). The first Onyxia questchain was huge, but later removed when they bumped her up in level (never got to do it).
    Sixx likes this.
  7. Sixx

Sixx Member

Yeah the Ony and MC atunement quests were actually pretty cool. Though, thinking back, they were much less cool when I was helping run my entire guild through the later parts of them so we could start raiding :)