Enhance your graphics/visuals

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oblit, Jun 15, 2013.

1. madweazl

madweazl Newbie

Fixed my horrible quality images, sorry about that.
  2. Karamethien

Karamethien Active Member

I use SweetFX on DX11 games too :shifty: Most games do not allow you to adjust color balance, and you don't really want to do it on your display. The ToneMapping and LiftGamma settings can really help with that.

Some games, like Dishonored, are too blue tinted. So SweetFX can help return it to normal. There are still problems, as some games have different base color on different levels, and SweetFX cannot dynamically change settings. But in general it works well.
  3. cache

cache Member

I enabled this, but I can no longer play FFXIV through steam? So sad. Is there a fix, do you know?

It just encounters an error and closes. Has anyone successfully used this through Steam?

I uploaded the steamgame overlay log just in case it helps.
    It seems to be having trouble "hooking" to the game?! Could it be because SweetFX is already doing that?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  4. Thasken

Thasken Member

Yes it could be SweetFX or something else that is doing a hook. I had the same problem with MSI Afterburner.
  5. Thel

Thel Member

This is so awesome. Got a configurator and its so freaking easy to use. Thanks for the info guys
  6. Karamethien

The other 1.4 version had an option to enable support for Steamoverlay, but this one doesn't seem to have it. No idea how to add it back either.

can try adding

//weird_steam_hack = 1

to the end of the setting.txt file on its own line.
  7. dante`afk

dante`afk Newbie

where do you copy those files in?
  8. Onderon

Onderon Newbie

I'm pretty sure someone mentioned overlays before but just want to clarify that mumble is an overlay so you would need to start up the game and log in and then open mumble for sweetfx to work. Found out the hard way when I was playing gw2 ages ago.
  9. mstark

mstark Member

1.4 crashed me, but 1.5 is working.

Im using lumin, HDR, and native FXAA and whatever else is on default.

Looks super good with the occasional exception of some blur.

I'm not sure if I'm actually taking a performance hit. Normally I'm capped at 60 but in high population areas my fps goes to 46-52. This was happening on my old parts but still happens on my new ones, pretty sure the cluster of people in cities and fates are bringing the frames down.

anyways, with sweetfx i literally get the same. Occasionally it might dip down to 39,40,41. I'm not really sure if its sweetfx or just the clusterf**k. There are some times at night when it does drop a bit from all the light effects.

i5-4670 3.4gz
    gigabyte 7870 @1200 w 3.18 beta
    8gb ram
  10. Crimson

Crimson New Member

Thanks a bunch for this. I use sweetfx for gw2 and can't play without it because the improvement is that good with the preset I'm using and just yesterday I was wondering if anyone had worked on it for ffxiv. Well I guess I have my answer now. Also thanks for the screenshots, was a pain to load over 3g but totally worth it.
  11. Elovie

Elovie Member

Where can one find this 1.5 you speak of?
  12. xusha

xusha Well Known Member

Elovie likes this.
  13. Dietroit

Dietroit New Member

I tried using this today and I cant tell if its working or not. I hit the toggle on off button and cant see a difference. Any tips?
  14. xusha

xusha Well Known Member

Did you upload it in game folder?
    You should definitely see a difference if you put it in the right place.
  15. Elovie

Elovie Member

[​IMG]
    Like this.
  16. xusha

xusha Well Known Member

Correct. Then you'll have to go into settings (text) and see what the hotkey was or you can change it to another hotkey.
  17. DarkEmpyrean

DarkEmpyrean Member

Outside of the HDR settings (which is fake HDR btw), I dont see how this program really helps to truly improve the way things look. The AA adjustments are so minimal that theres barely any difference between them, all the other effects this has seem to pointless. I suppose if youre running a shitty graphics card or system it may help to some degree, but no true improvement on my end. Then again I have a really awesome monitor and and a top of the line graphics card system, so, maybe Im already outdoing what this prog is capable of lol.

Though with some of your screenshots seems like some of you have some success, I just hate to run something in the background which seems to be an Instagram-ish program but for your games, if anything its taking up processing power I could be using for other things :dead:
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  18. Sibby

Sibby Newbie

I downloaded this and installed it, but everytime I launch FFXIV, I always crash. :/ I'm using V4, and whenever I use V5 it gives me a run-time error.... >o<
  19. Karamethien

Why speculate when you can just try it. There are plenty of before and after pictures in the thread. The most important improvement is it gets rid of the grayness of the image.

It has little to do with monitor and graphic card. Mine is the ASUS OC GTX 780, my Monitor is the Asus VG278H. The program still makes a marked improvement to graphic quality.

20. god_made_me_do_it

god_made_me_do_it Member

Nice, I may have to try this, although you can see from telltale things such as the carpet on the wall in the background of that last screenshot that the really big thing that would improve the PC version is higher res textures. There's some really ugly texture work going on in this game, especially in cutscenes when you get a big extreme close-up of some of them. Anyone know if it's possible to replace textures in ARR? Or would that be too in-depth to do right now?