Enable auto-target

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Onderon, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Onderon

Onderon New Member

Coming from various mmos I've notice that there does not seem to be an auto target or promote skill targeting when you run up to a mob and press your skills but instead you have to manual target or tab into them. Under the target section in character configuration there is an option called "enable auto-target when no target specified" but I found that it does absolutely nothing.

Did I break this game already or is this just something ARR decided to leave out.

2. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Crystal Brave

Server:
    Goblin
    I set one of my quick keys to "target closest enemy" The tab key also works.

3. Madlibx

Madlibx Adventurer

The only targeting issue I have is clicking mobs..... Can't click their body have to click on nameplate and its tiny

4. Storm Falcon

Storm Falcon Adventurer

5. Luko

Luko Scion

People dont just tab target?

6. LadyVixx

LadyVixx Crystal Brave

Usually, but not always.

My tab targeting must be bugged, because every time I tab target and fire, I always find that the mob hit isn't one of the two dozen surrounding me/whacking on me, but rather a mob in a different group 500m away that I don't need for the quest/FATE that I'm working on. :meh:

7. Luko

Luko Scion

Tab targetting is crazy fickle. I move my camera around alot to assist it. To help this, Ive made up a keybind (shift+tab) to target the nearest enemy.

8. Cassie

Cassie New Member

I found tab targeting to be annoying as i often end up pressing capslock i'm abit unco like that so i have set 'closest enemy target' to one of the buttons on my mouse and other button on mouse to enemy attacking self :)

9. Elvirnith

Elvirnith Crystal Brave

I recall there being an option to have your auto-attacks choose the closest mob, but yeah, I'm not certain if your abilities will automatically target a mob if you haven't otherwise selected it. I always tab target before beginning a fight anyway.

On a side note, anybody that tries to click on individual mobs is doing things the wrong way. I'm at work, so I can't show you right now, but you should modify your UI and drag the enemy list to some place that's convenient. For example, I made my skill bars small, moved them to take up less space (two on the bottom 1 on top) and then moved the enemy target box and the enemy list box to just above my skill bars in the bottom center of my screen. This way, I can continue to watch my character/ground targets as well as see the HP of the enemy I'm fighting, what abilities they're casting, and all all of the enemies that are otherwise in the fight.

What the above allows for is easy transition to specific enemies in battle. If an enemy starts dropping aggro on me I can very easily click the box in my UI and target that specific enemy without having to fumble around trying to figure out where that enemy is and then manually target him with my mouse whilst trying to avoid clicking on any other enemies or allies.

In addition to the above, I have my tab targeting configured in a way that allows me to attack/heal other targets without losing my focus target. I posted this in another thread on targeting, but the relevant post can be found here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1knlxo/demystifying_targeting_and_filters_a_keyboard_and/

It takes a little getting used to, but once you have everything configured properly (this is a PC configuration) your tab targeting life will be much better. With the default tab targeting configuration, even if you have it set to target nearest to furthest, if you're trying to tab between enemies you can still end up targeting something that's on the other side of the room. This allows you to set it a filter for only aggroing enemies while your weapon is drawn, so when in combat you'll never end up targeting something that's not attacking you.

Similarly, for healers, you can set your tab targeting to only target party members, which means you can easily tab between people in your party and drop heals on them.

10. lost

lost New Member

I wish there is a short cut key to select the previous target...

11. Elvirnith

Elvirnith Crystal Brave

Use the options in your keybind configuration to target from left to right and right to left. With the above config from the reddit post you can simply tab and shift +tab through the targets as needed. There's also other customizable options that most people don't seem to utilize or even know about in the keybind configs...

12. Araye

Araye Crystal Brave

Target nearest is not an option for PS3. I had to make a macro and macros take more time then direct issue buttons. And heaven forbid there is a Eos, Egl, or Carbuncle between you and the mob.

13. Karamethien

Karamethien Crystal Brave

I the options there is a check mark for Automatic target for skills. I don't remember exactly where but its there :) mine is enabled.

14. Onderon

Onderon New Member

While I appreciate everyone's replies I think we are still missing the point of my question. I am very familiar with tab targeting despite it being one of the most fickle aspect in modern day gaming. While targeting nearest is an option it does not address the real question since like tabbing it introduces an additional keystroke. Yes, I know it's just 1 extra key but having the ability to run up to a mob and hit a skill to target makes combat infinitely smoother.

Most games I've played allows for this and while it's not essential its a nice luxury to have. It's very much a quality of life thing so I would expect to see it implemented with auto dismount on skill use some time in the future.

There is an option to turn this on but so far to my knowledge it does absolutely nothing.

15. Karamethien

Karamethien Crystal Brave

Odd... it works for my skills. At least in fates, if you activate attack WS it will automatically select the nearest target and just hit it again to use it.

16. Eggs

Eggs New Member

Server:
    goblin
    Can confirm this does absolutely nothing. Not in fates nor anything else. This is a non functioning feature which should be fixed. Literally every other mmo Ive played has this feature and when I asked about it people thought I was crazy and just asked why I don't use tab targeting. I don't want to use tab targeting because its inconvenient, broken, and more time consuming. I hope that this is fixed soon but gathering that this post was made in 2013 and its now 2018 and still unfixed I am not hopeful.