Dungeons & Dragons

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Jinzuku, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Vice Administrator

Top Poster Of Month

Server:
    Phoenix
    For a long time me and my mates have wanted to get into D&D but we never had a DM and none of us had any experience being one. So I thought I would take the bullet and become our DM.

I've never done anything like this before but think it'll be fun. I've play the odd D&D session but was never heavily playing due to a lack of people to play with. Luckily I watch a D&D podcast so I am fairly familiar with the rules and how to play.

Being a DM is scary though, just the idea that you are in charge of the fun of everyone involved by making an interesting campaign. We haven't actually started yet due to us waiting for one of the players finishing his education in a few weeks. I've done my best to plan an overall setting but trying to not plan too much as there is no way in knowing what they will do once they start.

Was has been your experience with D&D? Been or known a really good DM?

2. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry
    Here's some random suggestions.

Know the rules inside and out, or at least well enough to be able to fake a rule up on the spot, because learning the game is a lot more fun playing it than reading about it for half a session.

Reaction > Preparation

Don't prepare a campaign or quest you really like. That often leads you to railroading your players. And, even if it doesn't, it can seem that the players are living out your story, rather than building their own.

A simple seed of intrigue, or hook, at the beginning of a session is usually enough for the players to create their own story around.

The first rule for ad lib also applies: "Yes, and..."

Let them die. If their HP gets to 0, let that happen. If the whole group gets wiped out and it's their fault, make sure there's some piece of consequence. If they keep getting TPK'ed, let one of them die for real. Consequence and challenge make the game more fun, and make your players more interested in getting stronger and knowing the rules better.

Do the voices. As a DM, if you don't feel comfortable speaking in at least a couple other voices, role playing with NPCs really won't get much past exposition.

Push your players into combat at a good pace. Not just pitched battles, but also make use of the random encounter charts. Rolling the dice and entering a random battle will show you're players that it's not just you that determines where the dangers are, and will make sessions more unpredictable. Also, where players may enjoy the odd session roleplaying more than combat, they still won't have that sense of achievement that comes with combat, nor the rewards for the time they invested in coming to the session. If you're going to sit together for hours, their characters need more gold, EXP, gear and knowledge by the end of the session to make it worthwhile, as well as a hook for coming next time. A short combat or skill challenge at least once an hour.

Keep the group focused and on topic. Don't be afraid to step in and squash distracting chatter from time to time. Time and travel for everyone is likely involved, so I find most people appreciate you taking your leadership role seriously. Even in a group of casual friends.

If this is your or your player's first campaign, don't let them homebrew their character's races or classes or anything. Part of their experience should be reading the book to find little tricks and obscure rules to use against you. Homebrewed characer's don't have those concrete rules surrounding them, and may not show the player what they can become and do over the next few levels.

Jinzuku likes this.
  3. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

I've never played, but I'd like to
    Though not if Fybrile is DM.

Jinzuku likes this.
  4. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry
    Right back atcha. If it goes anything like these forums, I already know the predictable script:

Fyb: "We need to attack the goblin."
    GM: "Well, I've never tried it, but I don't want to."
    Fyb: "Let's buy some potions."
    Fyb: "We're supposed to save the princess."
    Fyb: "I'd like to do anything without the first response being a detraction from GeekMatt."

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Jinzuku likes this.
  5. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Vice Administrator

Top Poster Of Month

Server:
    Phoenix
    Great advice @Fybrile luckily I'm doing a lot of the things you've suggested. I have gone through each of their character sheets to make sure they fill it out correctly. I've also been studying the player's handbook so I understand all the different mechanincs. I will probably wait to study spells as they players use it as there are 4 players so it would take me too long to study every spell for each of their classes. I've also tried to get away with scripting as little as possible. I'm trying to create an overarching situation the world is in and it's up to them whether they deal with it or not. Also using a program called Roll20 to help with maps and such. I'm ok with doing various voices for NPCs will probably run out of accepts eventually though but I'm sure I will figure something out.

I envisage I will have a few rough spots at the beginning but I'm sure it won't take me long to find my stride and it'll become more natural.

Who knows, if I get better we could do a D&D campaign with Realmers lol.

6. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry
    Count me in!

Jinzuku likes this.
  7. Lucius Tinger

Lucius Tinger Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    You could always do one with me! I have quite the amount of D&D experience. Although i'm usually a conjure wizard who is a deep gnome in almost all aspects.

@Fybrile you remind me of a pal I had who rolled a 1`to use frost grip on a frost dragon because the dex target would kill it he thought....he thought wrong ^-^

Jinzuku likes this.