Dungeon Requirements?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VersatileMojo27, Aug 5, 2013.

1. VersatileMojo27

VersatileMojo27 Member

I noticed when playing the beta that there are these symbols that pop up for the instance dungeons; a shield, a sword, and a medic cross. How exactly does one fit each emblem (by class or by piety, mind, strength, dexterity, etc statistics)? Also, am i required to have what it says i should (i.e. two swords and one of each the cross and shield)?
  2. Balaur

Balaur Active Member

Shield refers to tanking, sword to DD/DPS, cross to healer. BRD will fall in the middle slot, SCH in the latter. These have nothing to do with the stats that appear above the party nameplates when in a group. The symbols are the same for several other MMOs, including WoW and TERA.
    Fybrile likes this.
  3. VersatileMojo27

VersatileMojo27 Member

So how exactly do i become one or the other? I'm having difficulty understand what "BRD" and "SCH" are. A Lancer, i experienced, was a DPS character; so to is the Gladiator. What other classes typically fall under DPS? Under tanking?
  4. Romeoh

Romeoh Active Member

Whilst Balaur is correct, I get the feeling this might be your first MMO so I can clarify further.

Indeed, the Shield refers to tanking, the primary tanking class in this game is the Gladiator/Paladin, but Marauder/Warrior tanks too, so if you are these classes, you fit that emblem. A tank's job is to use his shield and heavy armour to take all the hits from the monsters in the dungeon.

DD/DPS means to play a Damage Dealer/Damage Per Second class. A Damage Dealer's job is to, well, deal damage. This is why the Tank's job is important, because without the tank, the Damage Dealers would die very quickly. Whilst the symbol for Damage Dealer in this game is a sword, the Damage Dealing classes/jobs are: Lancer/Dragoon, Pugilist/Monk, Thaumaturge/Black Mage, Arcanist/Summoner and Archer/Bard, the Bard being a mix between Damage Dealer and Support. If you are any of these classes, you will queue the dungeon as a Damage Dealer.

The Healer's job is to heal the group, primarily the tank, as he will be taking most of the damage. The healing classes are Conjurer/White Mage and the Scholar job, which is an alternative job branch of Arcanist. If you are any of these, you will queue and enter the dungeon as a Healer, and thus be expected to heal :)

Hope this helped.
    Fybrile, Balaur and VersatileMojo27 like this.
  5. Jasmine Rupert

Jasmine Rupert Member

I noticed there aren't many Healers. It took like half an hour to wait for a Healer in the Duty Finder. Seriously, off all the other Worlds (Servers) there wasn't a single person out there trying to do the same dungeon?! LOL
    VersatileMojo27 likes this.
  6. VersatileMojo27

VersatileMojo27 Member

Thank you for the clarification. And i agree! Way too many DPS players and so few healers (irony considering i endeavor to become a lancer). I'd love to add to the healer populace if someone can convince me too; with subscription fee in effect, i'd like to level the class i'm most interested in.
  7. Jasmine Rupert

Jasmine Rupert Member

Well I plan on paying the $14.99 service for more than 1 character per world so I can have a second character but still play in the same world as my other one. One will be DPS and the other Healer strictly. My DPS will be Archer, Pugilist, and Thaumaturge and my Healer will be Conjurer and Arcanist (eventually Scholar). So if my FC need a Healer I can switch. I also found out that you can send friend requests to members in an FC, if I can manage to Friend my two characters together I could Moogle Mail gear from one character to another.
  8. Luko

Luko Well Known Member

Actually Conjurer was by far the most played class last beta phase and healing White mage was the most selected "main" on almost every survey. There's toooons of healers in this game compared to other MMOs. The problem is with other players.

See, in this title, more so than other MMOs, tanking is very limited. If a Damage Dealer decides to go crazy and attack targets that the tank isn't on, that Damage Dealer is going to pull it's threat and be taking the full force of it's attacks. Either that or the tank is bad and the monsters are all over the place. So what happens in these situations? The healer has to keep everyone alive.

The solution to this? Only enter the Duty finder with your friends and Linkshell. Whenever a group is filled with bad or inexperienced players, the healer has to mop up all the messes. It can be quite stressful, far too much so for what should be a simple and fast dungeon. Choosing not to play with random people is a popular fix for this and most of the healers I talked to during P3 were either doing it this way, or just playing other classes.

Just another perspective I figured I'd add to the discussion since the OP has his answer for the most part. ^^
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 6, 2013 ---
    Just to clarify, you're aware that one character can play every single class in the game without the need of a second character, right?
  9. Jasmine Rupert

Jasmine Rupert Member

I understand fully well a character can do all classes but I have 2 reasons why I want a second character for Healing:

1.) The items, weapons, and gear I'd lug on the one character, I get overwhelmed easily and the Armoire in the Inn wasn't working.

2.) An adorable Lalafell just seems better as a Healer than a Miqo'te.
  10. Romeoh

Romeoh Active Member

Healing and Tanking are indeed a far rarer breed than DPS persons, in every MMO out there. The reason for this is, that Tanking and Healing typically require a lot more responsibility in dungeons because if either of them fail, the group can easily fall apart. Tanks are also seen as the Leader of a group, and quiet, insecure people often stay away from this. Many people don't like this added responsibility. Further, Heal and Tanking classes typically level up much slower than a DD class that can kill quest monsters quicker. The trade off is, that whilst they level slower, they get into dungeons/raids instantly.

You can be a healer and a DPS on one character. This game lets you level any class you want, once you've gone to that class's guild in the guild's home city.

Again, there is no need to level two characters. You can seamlessly switch between all classes and jobs in this game on a single character.

This is a misconception, but an understandable one. Whilst Conjurer/White Mage is the most popular class/job in surveys, this is because they are the only dedicated healing class/job combo in this game. What I mean is, a Healer has to choose Conjurer/White Mage to heal (Scholar will heal too, but it's class is a DPS), but there are many more classes to choose from to be a DPS. What you have to do is add up all the DPS classes and count them as one. Do not look at the individual classes, but what roles those classes are, i.e. Tank, DPS and Heals. When you do this, you will see that Healers actually represent the smallest percentage of the community in this game, the next being Tanks and DPS typically represent over 60% of the populace.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 6, 2013, Original Post Date: Aug 6, 2013 ---
    Whilst I can't agree with your issue 1.), and I do agree that some races 'suit' specific classes more than others. It is hard to make a single character that looks good or suits every role.

But I still don't think, on a completely personal level, that either of these are a good enough reason to hinder yourself by rolling more than one character.

This is because at end-game, you will be expected to be able to fill numerous rolls if needed, added to the fact that just having 1 job at 50 isn't enough, you will need to supplement your job with abilities you have gotten from other classes to maximise your potential. By rolling more than one character you are severely handicapping yourself.
  11. VersatileMojo27

VersatileMojo27 Member

I imagine a Scholar will be stemmed from a level 30 arcanist and a level 15 conjurer. An arcanist will seemingly bring many benefits for a healer. Whether i decide white mage or scholar, i dont think i'll go wrong leveling these two. My question: since, i speculate, a Scholar is stemmed from the conjurer, would i be able to fully integrate spells as intense as cure 3 or 2 into my action roster trough my additional abilities? Or will the scholar be more restricted and be only able to fully utilize those of the main class (arcanist)?
    For clarification, i havent gotten to a job in phase 3 so i'm ignorant of how abilities from each class will integrate among the two compounded classes; but i understand that a lancer, for example, could only use limited abilities/casts from the conjurer as part of the additional abilities available to be used.
  12. Jasmine Rupert

Jasmine Rupert Member

With everything else Square Enix 'is subject to change' but I'm sure there is always a way to play as I see fit. Also even if I did max all the classes I still wouldn't be able to freely cross class skill them with a Job equipped so in the end it just depends on how I wish to play. There's always more than one way to skin a cat.
  13. Balaur

Balaur Active Member

You will be able to cross-class with two other classes for each Job, along with all other skills your base class has.

For example, Pugilist becomes Monk, and loses most cross-class skills, but retains access to Lancer and Marauder skills. (This may change.) As such, several DoT, debuff, evasion/defense skills as well as damage skills and buffs will be available to it. Skills that cannot be cross-classed are are very restricted in how generally relate to role: melee do not gain cross-class skills involving casting (as it uses a stat they cannot endorse), whilst casters cannot cross-class close-range or melee skills (so a caster drawing from Lancer cannot use things like Feint or Impulse Drive, while a Pugilist/Monk can).

Also note that if you were to get multiple Jobs to 50, you'd be able to diversify in which skills you wished to employ. Not only do you get to cross-class from two other classes other than your primary, you get your Job abilities (of which there are five). And you can switch these cross-class skills on or off as needed in a dungeon to suit the content's needs. You can then choose to jump from one melee or caster Job to another, so switch from Dragoon to Monk, or from Black Mage to Summoner because there's a cross-class skill the other gets which you like; and you can switch from melee to caster, tank to healer, or whatever, cause you want a change in pace or style.
  14. Jasmine Rupert

Jasmine Rupert Member

Well I did know this but seperating them would help me more. If I did discover a better way to make my Healer build and DPS Build better then I'll add it as I go. This will also give me an excuse to keep playing LOL. I love customizing so that's the true excuse.
    VersatileMojo27 likes this.