Dragoon Dragoon Macros and Rotation

Discussion in 'Disciples of War' started by Tyler, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Tyler

Tyler Member

Hey guys I made a vid about the Dragoons macros and rotation at lvl 50. Want to know what other lvl 50 Dragoons think, whether you disagree or agree with things etc! Looking for a good discussion on what works best for this job :D

2. Dmyankee

Dmyankee Member

Thanks i will check it out!
  3. Tyler

Tyler Member

No prob man if you are unsure about anything just post it here and I will see it sometime that day and reply. For example people believe Fracture is a good ability to pull from Marauder because they say it has 300 potency after ticks which is just untrue. Marauders get a trait that gives them extra time on the buff so it only ticks for 18 seconds if we use it rather than 30 seconds and because of the way dots work in FFXIV it is likely one of the dots won't count so we are down to a 200 potency, making it not viable. Anyways theres a fair bit of info on Reddit too!
  4. blazeu25

blazeu25 Member

good stuff. the not using jump ability much does make alittle sense since the animation does lock u for a certain time. maby ill just start using it when i cant combo or avoiding aoe.
  5. Luko

Luko Well Known Member

I stick it in between True and Vorpal when I know 100% that there's not going to be AoE, which isn't often.
  6. Novaultima

Novaultima Active Member

Impulse Drive chain is the better choice, True Thrust chain does less damage but it´s not dependable on direction.

Impulse Drive chain is hard to master, especialy together with Heavy Thrust but when you practiced and master it, it´s more effective and it looks better/more dynamic. It does not only more damage, but also increases damage for Dragoon and Bard further for every skill after Impulse Drive - Disembowel. The good thing on the directional position requirement: Only Impulse Drive must be used from the back, Disembowel and Chaos Thrust can be used freely after succesfully used Impulse Drive from the back - so you only have to care about your position at Impulse Drive for this chain.

You can use this chain also solo, but it´s a thing of mastering again: Jump through the enemy and use Impulse Drive at the right moment while doing so.

The Jumps are only partwise useful for DPS. Jump and and Dragonfire Dive are most effective after Disembowel, Chaos Thrust or Full Thrust because those skills skip very fast by shifting off bc skills in. Spineshatter Dive(Stun-Jump) hasn´t enough attack potency to cover the animation time and DPS.

Btw: Where is Ring of Talons? Did they put it out? It was supposed to be a class quest skill on lv 45.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  7. Tyler

Tyler Member

Only have ring of thorns I believe, which isn't too bad for AOEing squishies in Garuda or something similar. Yeah the Impulse Drive chain is better in terms of damage if you are behind the boss/mob so if you can manage all the keys well enough definitely have it in. I just struggle to use anymore then I have now (15 keybinds) because my mouse only has 2 extra buttons and I'm not very good at hitting shift+key or ctrl+key. If I can work out a good way to macro it in I might try or if I get a new mouse in the near future xD but yes good advice!
  8. Novaultima

Novaultima Active Member

Well you don´t need so many keys tbh bec some skills just exchange others. You don´t need Thrust chain anymore if you master Impulse Drive chain, you dont need Ring of Thorns I think since it does less damage than Doom Spike. etc.

I use Impulse Drive chain with R2+ X, Square and Triangle. Circle is for Doom Spike, I use this until I got to the back of the target again(more damage than first Thrust and huge range/AoE). Jumps/cc are on R2+ directional digitals and Buffs/Heavy Thrust/LB on L2+ any other keys. If you can´t get those easily on keyboard/mouse, controller is definetely better :p

Everything else like pots I just put on 2. cross skill bar set.

PS: Is there a way to make 1-key chain macros, like useing Thrust chain with just 1 key? Will try out myself also today.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  9. Tyler

Tyler Member

Yeah that is true, probly should try just do the Impulse Drive chain all the time instead. I just don't see the dps difference being huge and the danger in a lot of fights of going behind the mob isn't worth it. Plus with life surge up True Thrust combo is better anyways. I did try to make a chain macro but I couldn't get it working xD might have to look up how to do macros better.
  10. Novaultima

Novaultima Active Member

You´re more safe behind the mob... even though it needs muuch practice and movement, it´s rather a chain for pros. And you´re soo much dependable on tanks movement, if he moves often you also have to. But in combination with Phlebotomize and Doom Spike it´s the highend chain.

I didn´t find a way also to do chain macros but I recognized I´m still better off with normal using of skills and buffs, more flexibelity. I don´t want to use the skill/buff macro also, since sometimes you have to use it at the right moment.
  11. Ariahna

Ariahna Member

I wouldn't consider our abilities having a rotation, per se, but rather a priority system since most of our attacks are situation/positional and rely on buffs and debuffs that must be refreshed by using skills. While the backstab combo does yield the highest DPS, there are certain fights where the True Thrust chain is going to be the highest dmg (Demon Wall in AK).
  12. Saikoh

Saikoh Member

TT: 150 + VT: 200 + FT: 300 = 650 potency
    ID 180+D 220+CT:160=560

It seems to me that as long as you have the resist reduction and the CT dot applied, the Full Thrust combo is the highest dps.
  13. jemsmck

jemsmck Member

You should be doing the both combos to max output. They are designed to work in tandem with each other.

Mine goes like this:

Flank Boss
    1. Heavy Thrust
    Move behind Boss
    2. Impulse Drive
    3. Disembowel
    4. Chaos Thrust
    The debuffs last 30 seconds so you can now do the following
    5. Blood for Blood
    6. True Thrust
    7. Vorpal Thrust
    8. Full Thrust
    Flank Mob
    9. Heavy Thrust (should be just wearing off if you have a 2.43 - 2.49 second cooldown)
    10. True Thrust
    11. Vorpal Thrust
    12. Full Thrust

This is my standard rotation that does some pretty serious damage. This also requires positional awareness and takes some time getting used to. Due to the cool down of Blood for Blood though, on the second wave, I replace it with a Jump or Internal Release if I have it as my cross class skill, or simply skip #5 all together and continue through the combo. Also, for those who don't already know, never leave a combo unfinished. Don't stop a combo just to apply the HT buff, otherwise your overall damage will suffer.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  14. Tyler

Tyler Member

Yeah if you can handle all the key binds it does work out slightly better, especially if you have a couple other physical damage dealers in your group. The difference isn't huge especially when you factor in crit. I have 22 abilities that I use regularly and am not good enough to go to 25 ><
  15. jemsmck

jemsmck Member

Macros are the way to go I have macros for the combos, since I won't don't stop mid combo. This def saves time and frustration.
  16. Tyler

Tyler Member

How do you set up the macro? I was trying earlier and couldn't get it to use the abilities in order correctly.
  17. Tr0ng0

Tr0ng0 Newbie

Hey it's a nice rotation, but u should add phlebotomize after every heavy thrust u do to maximise damage! U should also use blood for blood before or after ur first disembowel combo to maximise the DOT damage on chaos thrust. Apart from that, seems a smooth rotation there. Be aware when applying chaos thrust with blood for blood, u must wait for the buff to drop off fully before reapplying, as FF does not allow a weaker DOT to apply on top of a stronger one. You could even add in a jump while waiting for the 2 second remaining on chaos thrust to drop off.
  18. Ariahna

Ariahna Member

I have my macros setup so that Blood for Blood and Inner Release are cast, if cooled, just prior to my next Heavy Thrust:
    /macroicon "Heavy Thrust"
    /ac "Internal Release" <me>
    /ac "Blood for Blood" <me>
    /ac "Heavy Thrust"

Following Heavy Thrust, I do the TT,VT,FT combo with Full Thrust being macro's to have Life Surge cast, if cooled:
    /macroicon "Full Thrust"
    /ac "Life Surge" <me>
    /ac "Full Thrust"

This ensures that Full Thrust crits as high as possible every time Life Surge is ready since it is the highest DMG attack skill that we have.
  19. Bizant

Bizant Active Member

There don't seem to be many Leg Sweeps in these rotations. Any reason for that? I guess it's more of a situational attack. It seems really useful to me, though. Once you have the faster recast time, you can pull it off pretty regularly. That's gotta be useful for the rest of your team, right? You'll cancel an enemy's attack 50% of the time, which means your buddies are taking less damage, and it gives you a 'free' shot while the thing is stunned. Dunno, just seems pretty handy to me.
  20. Ariahna

Ariahna Member

I manually execute leg sweeps to cancel out casting from certain mobs and such, but in coil, it's not all that useful as most of the stuff fully resists stuns.