Dragoon Determination, KillSpeed or CritChance : |

Discussion in 'Disciples of War' started by shiNn, Sep 9, 2013.

1. shiNn

shiNn Member

well, hi @ll

I'm playing my Dragoon since beta and i have lvl 60weapon and lvl55 gear with lvl 70ring/ears

But I still havent any clue what's the best stat for us Dragoons.
    We are knowing STR is our mainstats. Well it's on every item, in this case we dont have to care for it.
    But then we have the decision to pick: Determination, Kill Speed OR Crit Chance, Vitality.

My consideration to this is how much damags is Determination for us Dragoons.
    Crit is 50% more dmg, and we cant improve crit dmg. in this case it's not that strong als crit in other games.
    Will be Determination stonger with a solid value?
    Im pretty bad at the theorycraftmath stuff. can anybody tell us sth about that?
  2. Toukai

Toukai Member

Well I'm no expert but from what i've gathered, Determination affects your Auto attack damage (and I think your skill damage but I'm not sure) as well as Hp healed from cures or something like that. It doesn't seem like its that amazing really but it can't hurt to have some.

Skill speed from what I've seen isn't that impressive either, bringing down the global cooldown to like 2seconds or something like that. Not much of a difference at all, and even if you stacked a ton the difference wouldnt be much and you'd just burn through your Tp quicker than we already do.

I don't know what the crit rate cap is but to me, that seems the best stat to have even if crits are only +50% damage its still a lot more damage I'd think than stacking determination or skill speed.

Vitality just boosts Hp i think. While str boosts all your skill damage and damage blocked from parrying or something like that.
  3. Duvain

Duvain Member

Crit > Determination > Skill Speed from what I've heard.
  4. Novaultima

Novaultima Active Member

Basic weapon attack > skillspeed(speed) > attack > crit > precision > determination

Easy to explain, basic weapon attack(the top left stat on weapon windown) makes a huge difference even if it´s just one grade. Skillspeed makes you using your skills more often in the same time and skills animation can even be skipped partly when having enough speed. Attack(bonus stat below the main stats in the weapon/armor window) is not impacting your damage so much and calculates different than basic weapon/physical attack I guess. Crit isn´t that important because it is a luck based stat and we can use Internal Release for 20% crit very often anyways - this one let you crit kinda often already. Determination is a very less recognizable stat, it increases autoattack damage, but very slighty only.
  5. Duvain

Duvain Member

That's pretty much the opposite of everything I've heard....

http://www.ffxivguild.com/ff14-arr-lnc-drg-stats-build-allocation-materia/
  6. Novaultima

Novaultima Active Member

That guide isn´t really good tbh. Crit Chance isn´t automatically a DPS boost, since he propably didnt consider that we have near spamable crit chance buff(Internal Release). Speed is actually more impacting than crit chance and determination, do you actually check how much damage you do more with more determination? It´s so less and it varitys in damage numbers.

Atleast I can tell that physical damage of weapon, speed and strenght are the most impacting stats, while speed and strenght can be exchanged in importance position, depending on gear. Speed can be more impacting than strenght and visa versa, but you never should use speed with losing too much strengh bonus, try balancing those stats so that either one of them is highest stat on a gear part, but both must be in.

I just personally feel that when both stats, speed and strenght bonus are on gear, speed is more impacting, since you can use skills more often and skip animations partly, leading to more enmity and dps. strenght bonus didn´t seem to impact that much fore me, but physical weapon damage is an intense boost to damage even for 1 grade.

An example of a optimal setting is for example darklight gears and wyrm gear, only if you mix them, you can get the most DPS, since both sets have some parts without speed but if you mix them you can get speed at every part without losing much strengh bonus. A good balance of strenght and speed.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  7. Duvain

Duvain Member

I honestly haven't done much testing since I switched to PLD for my main, but I do have AK on farm and have cleared hard mode Ifrit and Garuda on my Dragoon.

I've just read a lot of stuff that says skill speed is the worst stat of the 3. That guide is not the only page that says that. There are more if you google.

Actually, that very good guide in your other thread gives the stat weights:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/79042-Dragoons-A-Rotation-Reborn

Weapon Damage: 10.541
    Strength: 1
    Crit: .222
    Determination: .193
    Skill Speed: .191
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  8. Madlibx

Madlibx Member

It's def str > crit > det

When you start rolling crits out left and right you'll see why
  9. Novaultima

Novaultima Active Member

So this is why I over dps most Dragoons with better weapon and more strenght, no/partly speed on gear, while I have speed on every part but a bit less strenght bonus?

I have a second Dragoon in almost every group, so...

Many guides are only copy paste from another and theory isn´t always practice. Anyways, believe what you want, just posted my experience, not my calculations.
  10. Bruce Wang

Bruce Wang New Member

Madlibx is on the right track, Novaultima is a moron, skill speed = fail, it may be a worthwhile stat after patch, but for now it's garbage. Also if you want people to take you serious, you should do a little more research and check spelling before you post, my brain almost exploded speed reading most of the garb on this forum but once again madlibx you're on track. Also theory crafting involves calculations Nova. Theory crafting, is calculated stats, not a straight up theory.:pompus: