Tank Cross Class Skills for Tanking Really Needed?

Discussion in 'Disciples of War' started by Valkar, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Valkar

Valkar New Member

Server:
    Odin
    Hi Guys

I'm new to the game and I'm really enjoying it and I've decided to play a paladin. So far I'm level 22 gladiator and Ive been reading that whilst I need to become a conjurer to lv 15, to get the useful conjurer skills I'll need to level it to a higher level.

So my question is are the cross class skulls really needed?. I really don't like playing casters and to be honest as much as I love the game so far I'm a bit annoyed that I'm forced to play other classes. So to be an effective paladin tank is level 15 conjurer the minimum I can get away with? Or do I need to grit my teeth and level the caster to a higher level for those cross class skills?

2. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    PLD can get away with CNJ level 15 no problem. The only VITAL crossclass tank skills come from Gladiator, so if you decide to do another tank later on, you'll be all set.

PLD also gets crossclass skills from Marauder, and I'd recommend picking up Foresight which is only level 2 or 5 or something, but other than that PLD makes little use of crossclass skills, and anything you're lacking won't be noticeable or have an impact on the instances you run 99% of the time. The only time I'd say it's important to have the full-range of crossclass skills is if you intend to do the most current hardcore top-tier raiding, and that's because you should be aiming to play at 110% at that point, but the skills still aren't necessary.

^ this set of guidelines only applies to PLD. Pretty much every other job in the game is really nerfed by not getting at least one or two particular crossclass skills.

3. Valkar

Valkar New Member

Server:
    Odin
    Hi Geekmat

Ok thanks for that, that's kinda good news that I just need the minimum.

I've been reading as well that we can swap between all classes but how does that effect jobs? If I changed to a lancer could I be a dragoon even though I started as a gladiator?

4. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Crystal Brave

Yes you can be all jobs whenever you want. However once you are in a fight or queue for a dungeon/raid you are locked into that job for the duration. So if you start fighting a mob as a gladiator you can't switch to a Lancer until you're out of combat. But you can queue up a dungeon as a gladiator, switch to a Lancer and do stuff like FATEs while you're waiting for the queue to pop, and then switch back to gladiator when your queue does pop.

5. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Below I'm going to say "job" but this refers to class or job, since their essentially the same thing for this discussion.

Whatever primary weapon you have equipped determines what job you currently are, and what job you are determines what type of equipment you can gear yourself with (I.e. When on GLA you can't equip a chest piece specific to CNJ). Each job also gets a totally of 30 Attribute points which is acquired as you level and these attributes points are specific to that job, so if you put 30 VIT points into GLA and then switch to CNJ those 30 points disappear and instead you'll get a new set of 30 which you can put into mind (again, you gain the attributes one by one as you level that job).

Because of the way this all works, you can be any and all classes while still having the correct stats assigned. Your CNJ won't be at a disadvantage just because you main a GLA. To make the job swapping easier, be sure to equip all your best items and then save your gear set so that the next time you want to play that job you can just click on it's gear set to have everything you need equipped with one button

6. Valkar

Valkar New Member

Server:
    Odin
    Hi guys

So without appearing stupid, I can be a paladin, black Mage or bard all using the same character?

7. Billy Batsonn

Billy Batsonn Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Yep you can level up all jobs one, they all have separate levels, add stats, and exp bars.

GeekMatt likes this.
  8. Lucius Tinger

Lucius Tinger Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    You can also have different presets saved for that certain class as well. So instead of switching to your formal party wear one by one you can save it all into a new preset then just click on that when you like.