Craft Profitability.

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Shake, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Shake

Shake New Member

I'm bored now that beta is over so I figure i'll share my thoughts on crafting profitability by class.

Culinarian:
    Short Term Potential: Low
    Long Term Potential: High

I expect culinarians to struggle for at least a week after early access begins. The main reason for this is that the difference between player crafted food and vendor purchased food is negligible for quite some time, and the significance of the extra stats can't justify the purchase of crafted food for players while levleing because the extra stats aren't really necessary and the exp boost is 3% on all foods.

Within a few weeks of launch as players reach level 50 and begin progressing through end game content I expect there to be a very high demand for top tier crafted food. Those who get to level 50 culinarian early will likely be able to earn a ton of profit selling level 50 food, particularly high quality, to progression raiders as well as crafters trying to HQ various items, but particularly food for raiders should be very lucrative as the stat benefits at level 50 are quite significant compared to vendor food.

In the very long term culinarian will always be a profitable class and it will probably have one of the highest sustainable incomes of any crafting profession, however as more and more players reach level 50 the margins attainable from crafted food will go down significantly. There will ALWAYS be a market for crafted food.

Alchemist:
    Short Term Potential: Medium

Similar to culinarian, alchemist wont be making a lot of money early on as any potion beyond HP potions aren't worth buying while players level. That being said, at level 30 alchemists unlock several dye recipes and I think these should sell relatively well early on when few players have access to these colors.

In the long term alchemists will be profitable for the same reason culinarian will be. Players will always need potions, particularly stat boosting potions, for end game content. As with culinarian, these potions should sell extremely well early on so getting alchemist to 50 early on will probably be very profitable.

As a side note i expect alchemist to be possibly the least popular crafting class, and because it makes pretty widely used crafting components, there will likely be good demand from other crafters for those materials with little competition for any alchemist who can make them.

Blacksmith:
    Short Term Potential: High
    Long Term Potential: Medium

Blacksmith will be one of the more profitable classes early in release as they have access to an array of crafting tools and gathering tools. These tools, particularly the high quality versions, can be huge upgrades for crafters and gatherers and for that reason I think they should sell really well early on. There will likely be a decent market for crafted weapons as well, again, high quality in particular.

In the long term blacksmith profitability will go down as people are hitting 50 in crafting and gathering. There will still be a market for crafted tools to be used for materia however it seems that the achievement rewarded crafting main hands are best in slot, so the market for crafted mainhands probably won't be very good, but crafted high quality offhands look to be best ins lot and should sell quite well for the first few weeks. The same goes for weapons, they should sell well as people are just hitting 50 but in the long term prices will drop. There will probably always be a decent market for crafted weapons to be used for materia, but I think in the long term the market for crafting offhands will go down significantly as people complete their crafting and gathering sets.

Armorer:
    Short Term Potential:
    Low
    Long Term Potential: Medium

Overall I think armorer is arguably the least profitable crafting class. The gear it makes is only used be a couple of classes, it has few components that are needed by other crafts, and of those that it does have, most are also craftable by blacksmith. The only crafting tools it appears to make are skillets and alembrics, and I don't even see a level 50 recipe for either. There will be some demand for those tools during the weeks after launch, and there will be a sustained demand for crafted armor at 50 for materia purposes, but because the armorer isn't widely used and tanking seems somewhat underrepresented in ARR, i think armorer won't be very profitable in the long term nor in the short term.

Carpenter:
    Short Term Potential:
    Low
    Long Term Potential: Medium to High

I think carpenter profitability will be pretty low early on basically because the only crafting tools carpenter makes are the offhands for weavers and goldsmiths, that said those both will have a decent market around launch especially if carpenters are underrepresented on your server. Carpenter in general just doesn't have a lot of recipes, and while the weapons it makes will sell fairly well both in the short and long term, it doesn't really have many items to sell overall. The reason I have its long term potential as medium to high is basically because of furniture crafting. If a lot of furniture is crafted by carpenters, which its pretty safe to assume will be the case, then there will be a lot of money to be made as housing is released and that will be a decent market in the long term as well.

Goldsmith:
    Short Term Potential:
    High

Goldsmith will likely be one of the most profitable professions early on because crafted jewelry is useful for every class in the game including gathering and crafting classes, and its generally hard to come by outside of crafting, particularly for crafting classes, so I think there should be a pretty good market for jewelry from the beginning, and I think it should be solid in the long term as well for materia purposes.

Goldsmith also crafts helmets for crafting professions which should sell quite well early on and relatively well for a while. They also can craft 2 minions which I expect will sell very well early on.

Weaver:
    Short Term Potential:
    High

Weaver should rival goldsmtih as one of the most profitable classes in both the short and long term. Weaver gear is used by 3 classes which are all relatively popular, there will always be a sustained demand for this gear for materia purposes. On top of this weaver makes the crafting chest, pants, and gloves for about half of the crafting classes. These items will sell exceptionally well at launch, especially high quality ones, and will be a good market for at least 3 or 4 months. On top of this weaver crafts 2 minions which, as with goldsmiths minions, should sell really well especially early on.

Leatherworker:
    Short Term Potential:
    High

Leatherworking is virtually identical to weaving in terms of profitability. Leather gear will sell well and leatherworkers has access to a good chunk of the crafting clothing that will sell very well at launch. Leatherworker doesn't currently have access to any minion recipes as far as I know so I think for that reason its a bit less profitable than weaver or goldsmith, but still should be good.

Rankings:

Short Term (1-2 weeks after launch)
    1. Weaver
    2. Blacksmith
    3. Goldsmith
    4. Leatherworker
    5. Alchemist
    6. Culinarian
    7. Carpenter
    8. Armorer

Long Term: (1-4 months after launch)
    1. Weaver
    2. Goldsmith
    3. Leatherworker
    4. Culinarian
    5. Alchemist
    6. Carpenter (potentially higher depending on furniture)
    7. Blacksmith
    8. Armorer

Very Long Term: (4 months and beyond)
    1. Culinarian
    2. Alchemist
    3. Goldsmith
    4. Weaver
    5. Leatherworker
    6. Armorer
    7. Carpenter
    8. Blacksmith
  2. Celaria

Celaria Active Member

After researching the crafting recipes in-game and playing with my ARM, BSM, CRP, and GSM, I agree with most things, however I believe you're underestimateing the long-term price for stuff like Darksteel plates, and ingots, while at first it doesn't seem like it would go long term (with things like raid gear being available.) I'm thinking about crafter "AF" which in the foreseeable future (up to a year provided Darksteel isnt outclassed in that time by another ore.) will be quite profitable, in most games I've played with a similar type of thing, the top gear always sells in the long run, because not everyone raids, and the next best thing to raid gear is crafted gear, the best crafted gear is Darksteel and its equivalents, which mostly all use Darksteel, I don't see armorer getting off with a high profitability but it will be a little more then "low" just due to the plates.

I spent an entire day in last beta just mining to get barely one stack of ore, from a miners stand point, darksteel is going to go for a lot, and Gold is mined the same way. it takes 3 ore to make one nugget, so that stack would go quite quick, so there will always be a market for nuggets, ingots, and that sort of thing for darksteel until it gets outclassed by another ore. which, then would lead to the same exact thing, BSM and ARM would just share it like they do with darksteel.

Just my two cents from what I did in beta 3 and 4.
  3. Shake

Shake New Member

I agree with you. If I said that armorer won't make money then I was exaggerating the situation. I think that COMPARATIVELY its profitability is low compared to several other crafts. That said I don't think any class will not be profitable in this game. Every class will make money, but some will make more than others. Plates will undoubtedly sell well as they're specific to armorers, as will darksteel armor. I think all crafted gear will sell well forever because A. its a good way to get materia, and B. its some of the better gear in the game.

With that said when I compare what armorer has to sell compared to other crafts I still feel like its potential profit is low RELATIVE to other classes.

To go in depth with a comparison of blacksmith and armorer profitability:

I gave both classes a medium long term profitability. The best long term sellers for both classes will be refined ore (ingots, plates) darksteel armor for armorer, and level 50 weapons for blacksmith. Armorer has an advantage in that blacksmith cannot craft plates, but blacksmith has the advantage of crafting offhands which I expect won't be amazing sellers in the long run, but will still be solid. I think their long term profitability is decent for both classes, blacksmith may be slightly higher but they're close.

Looking at the short term, blacksmith has high to armorers low by my analysis.

There are 2 reasons for why I think this will be the case.

1. The biggest discrepency between armorer and blacksmith is tools. Blacksmith crafts offhands for ALL crafts, these are the BEST offhands for crafting currently in the game. These items are going to sell EXTREMELY well early game and will potentially be the best item to sell from a profit standpoint in the game for 2-3 weeks. The reason why is that the craftsmanship and control stat requirements to get 1 and 2 star items out of end game recipes are very high and getting a 1 or 2 star offhand will be critical for a lot of crafters. Crafters will be willing to pay A TON to get these offhands because getting the offhands means being one of the first players to be able to craft 1 and 2 star items for their respective crafts. Armorer has nothing that can compare to that opportunity. Yes, 1 and 2 star crafted armor will sell well early on as well as later, but so will 1 and 2 star crafted weapons from blacksmith, and the first item most players want to purchase is a good weapon at level 50. Not only will the market probably be bigger for blacksmith weapons since they craft weapons for 5 classes, but the margins will probably be a lot better due to higher demand. Gladiator and warrior seem like an underrepresented class in terms of population.

So thats basically my rationale for armorer being low and blacksmith being high early on.

With all of that said, just to reiterate, I think EVERY crafting class will make a lot of money early on. Being one of the first 50's of ANY class will guarantee you a lot of money, but some classes will be able to make a lot more than others.
  4. ThadeusStern89

ThadeusStern89 Active Member

My attitude towards crafting classes is to craft what I need first, and profit from it later. The exclusivity of HQ versions of regularly used weapons and gear is what will keep the crafting classes profitable--all of them. If that ever fails to be the case, then it's because people don't care about HQ gear, which simply isn't true. I make my LNC gear with Carpenter and Leatherworker, some Armorer stuff. I sell off HQ gear around 10 levels lower than my current level in the craft, as HQ gear. That doesn't make me rich by any means, but not everyone wants to be rich. Gear which is unaffordable puts people off, just like in XI. And to people who played 1.0 who think they know how this game's economy will pan out, there are too many variables to consider. You simply cannot know. For all we know, Darklight Gear, Griffith Skin, whatever else people prize as top gear, won't be expensive at all compared to what it used to be. There's no one secret to cracking the market. The analysis above is correct in terms of short and long-term profitability, but it depends on your specific needs. Profiting from Goldsmith is fine, but you're just going to end up putting that money into another craft. So it's rather cyclical in that way; when your needs change, so too does your craft. The only reason I have for currently levelling multiple crafs (more than the three cited) is for cross-class abilities exclusive to certain crafts.