Console/Controller Targeting

Discussion in 'Guide Discussion' started by praysolace, May 16, 2015.

1. praysolace

praysolace Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    praysolace published a new article:

Read more about this article...

2. Mindflenzing

Mindflenzing Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Well done. This will make life much easier trying to explain targeting to new players. I am saving the link location for this guide for future reference.

praysolace and Fybrile like this.
  3. Beefylee

Beefylee Adventurer

this is an amazing guide. I've been using a controller since i started and there was a few tid bits in there I did not know. mainly to do with the macro bits but honestly amazing work.:good:

praysolace and Fybrile like this.
  4. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Gonna have to find the time to read up on this :glee:I know a lot of PS4 newbies ask about this.

praysolace likes this.
  5. Spokey Dokey

Spokey Dokey Crystal Brave

Server:
    Ultros
    Already sent the link to someone since I'm too dumb to explain things. Appreciate it.

praysolace likes this.
  6. June

June Adventurer

Server:
    Leviathan
    My only request would be to change the name to "Controller targeting for XIV" or something because I'm on PC and use Controller so It's not purely consoles. Minor nit pick.

Amazing guide none the less! I didn't even know about the filter profile switching :D

Jinzuku likes this.
  7. praysolace

Server:
    Brynhildr
    It says console/controller already. o7

8. AisuDjin

AisuDjin Adventurer

Very useful guide especially since I play on a PS4 and started to get into tanking. Thank you very much for making this.

praysolace and GeekMatt like this.
  9. Lem

Lem New Member

For healers , what about simply skipping the need of targeting ? Take a 8 mens party. Allies = player #1 to #8.

Macro your ( lets say ) Cure and Cure 2 making them single button press ----> directly healing party member #4 (usually the other healer ) or #2 ( usually a tank ... ) or anyone else. Dont even need to know where is your target , as long as it is within casting range / line of sight.
    Its super simple.
    Macros lines exemples:

/ac Cure <2> - will directly cure heal party member #2 , The <2> literally mean " Party member #2 ".
    /ac Cure <3>
    /ac "CureII" <4> - will directly send Cure2 to party member #4
    etc.... up to #8.

Each one entered separately of course. Only leave the original casting icon for manual or self healing and also to notice procs. ( Macro'ed icons dont give the visual procs notification ) Every cast witch is not "spam" ( or cast repeatedly without interruption ) will react SOOOOO much more faster since its a single button direct heal on party member without having to rely on target filtering or D-PAD UP&DOWN. Being spam = waiting for GCD so its not faster on spamming and its not the point anyway.

This may look like this ... I dont use the manual Cure1 since i only heal myself with Cure2 or Regen if needed. It save a space where i have put Medica.

HCB1...png = PAGE 2 - RIGHT SIDE

For a 8 mens party i use the " Expended Hold Controls " witch bring me this menu while holding R2 first then L2.... ( since my expendable = PAGE 4.... )

HCB2.....png = PAGE 4 - RIGHT SIDE

This is my set up , someone else could decide to put some other spells or simply use 1 instead of 2 series like me.
    Like if you take my SCH , its the same set up but with ADLOQUIUM and PHYSIC.
    It take 15 hot crossbar spaces and leave me 17 free for all my other spells for a total of 2 pages or 32 keys.
    If 32 potentially needed keys seem complicated for someone you can trust me that you get use to it very fast.
    Its a perfect fit with my last page of specialize macros. ( Hold L1+X = page 3 )
    Page 1 being my " solo gaming " page set up.

This method + everything that been mention before by original poster about hard and soft targeting , target filters etc..... is my way to go and has prove its
    efficiency all along my gameplay and i am healing both classes ( if we put Astro aside ) since a long time.
    Still , like mention before and i speak about target filter precisely here , it is A MUST. You MUST have target filter.

If i have lost someone in the process just let me know.

And to the original poster , 1000 thanks for calling " L1+ D-PAD Right/Left " to switch on alliance targeting !!! I didn't even know and i admit it was a very annoying flaws i had.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    Uuri likes this.
  10. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I thought about that before and decided against it for a few reasons. For one I'd need an insane amount if crossbar space. For another I could easily think I have to heal player 6 of the party list only to realize it was player 5 who was dying.

You'd have to target people anyways for Esuna, eye for an eye, Stoneskin, etc. I'd also be targeting people for my regular heals because when I see someone standing in an AoE, I need to tab over to that player and be precasting a heal, and there's no way I'd consistently memorize that "Jimmy AoEStander" was player number 8 this time when he was 4 on our last run and 5 before that.

praysolace likes this.
  11. delta5ff

delta5ff Scion

As a WHM who plays on console I simply press up or down to scroll through party members. I think your way would confuse the he'll outta me. I know just reading it did:dizzy:

GeekMatt and praysolace like this.
  12. Lem

Lem New Member

For the amount of space taken , i swear its really not that bad and since you are use to a controller it wont be a problem. And for the " miss " heal possibility its another thing i can assure you not being an issue after you get a bit of practice.
    For the rest , your completly right , its not a 1 way fit it all situations set up. My 17 free spaces i called are filled with spells being cast as usual. You named it.
    My esuna , stoneskins and family are macro free spells. Same thing for my only Cure2 macro free. Procs and more specific healing. Jimmy AoEStander !!! LM*O !
    Perfect tag ! Also in my case , not only i heal 98.5% of my whole gaming time , i have search since day 1 how to avoid targeting as i felt it was slowing me down.
    Discovering the functional aiming macro prefix < # of the player > was the solution for me. And as i mentionned before , it doesn't mean you can ignore all that has been said by OP , on the contrary.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 3, 2015, Original Post Date: Jul 3, 2015 ---
    Im aware it must not be a " casual " way of healing , but trust me , i could never go back to scrolling the party menu. And to me , only one button to press will always be faster trigger then 2+ buttons to press. But , its my PoV. My original explanation sound way more complicated then the actual result.

13. praysolace

Server:
    Brynhildr
    That... sounds terrifically inefficient on cross hotbar space for a controller user who is already limited on space. It's great if that works for you, but I really don't think that's a method I could recommend to people. Especially since if you ever play anything else you're still going to need to know how to target properly, and as has been pointed out, this applies to other healer spells also. I honestly think for most people it would be easier to just learn to target than learn such a complicated and limited system.

This especially since as more expansions come down the road with more new skills our bar space is only going to get tighter.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    GeekMatt likes this.
  14. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I've given up on SCH in 3.0 because of crossbar space. If I can't fit the current skills there's no way I'd be able to fit them all plus Phyisck 8 times and Adlo 8 times.

15. Lem

Lem New Member

1 - First i dont recall recommending this method to peoples. I didnt wrote an official guide as i know. And did you really read my last messages ? Didn't i mention with respect for your guide that what you had written should be definitly learned and that i was myself using most of these target method in pair with my macros ?

2 - Seem like you guys are only on a rampage about my method cause its unusual and would be impossible for you to play with .... The only one who did answered like someone who have a head to think with is the moderator. He wasn't agreeing with me , but did explain himself in a constructive way. but calling " sounds terrifically inefficient on cross hotbar space for a controller user who is already limited on space " ...... who is limited on space ? If 8 pages for a total of 128 free slots isn't enough for you .... how many do you need ? So far i only use 36 slots fast and easilly accessible , at least , for me , cause it seem like a big mystery for you guys to use a couple more icons.

3 - Where did you take the idea that i needed to learn the usual or what you call with disgusting conceit , " properly " way to target as you say ? Do you think i dont know how to use the controller in my hands ? Im rollin into expansion with the same ease as i ever did.
    On top of that , you call my system how ? Limited ? Was that the word ? Limited ? You stick to whats in your configuration menu , the ABC SquareEnix did offer to controllers.... THAT is limited. You limit yourself to the easiest instead of thinking with your head of a way maybe more harder yes, but maybe more accurate or evolve. THAT is limited. Your macros of " target the target of my target " and " assist target " that are dated from 1846 , THAT is limited....... and f**kin useless tbh..

I thought it was a place to share our way , ideas , our differants methods ..... not a place where you need to explain yourself against messages that s**t on your method. At least , me i have admit using definitly ideas of your guide in my gameplay.
    And you , you answer me like if you were the only good reference telling that i would anyway need to learn the PROPER way ?!

If you are that smart answer that. Since my debut , little conjurer lvl15 or so , i had already figured a way to heal perfectly eliminating 90% of targeting ( and im still doing the same today with even more spells ) need witch automatically reduce the number of APS use to heal. That gain being multiplicate today due to the need of more APS in a complete fight. So , where is the " error " in my set up ? Where is the downside in that method ?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 3, 2015, Original Post Date: Jul 3, 2015 ---
    You simply do lack skills to play with a controller. Software and possibilities active on the controller are more then what you should need to handle such kind of play. You gonna tell me im wrong ?

GeekMatt likes this.
  16. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Nobody mean it as an attack. if anything we were just shocked that you were able to make that work for you

praysolace likes this.
  17. Lem

Lem New Member

And im happy to hear this. Sound un-functional for you , but you are able to put in your head that for someone else its perfectly functional. You are talking with wisdom moderator. Something you should learn to some peoples around here. Cause for a first , your website is severely deceiving.

18. delta5ff

delta5ff Scion

I never said anything about it not been a "casual" way of healing. I merely stated that to me it seemed terribly confusing. If you took that as an attack upon your method I apologise. My favourite saying is "whatever works", so that this works for you is fantastic, but I'm like the geriatric man sitting in the corner who can not handle change. But that's fantastic too because I can still make it work for me. I currently have one macro I use to mark targets attached to my ranged pull ability as a tank. Honestly most macros confuse me which is why I don't play Arcanist or any of its jobs since they pratically necessitate macros to work. I know I'm limiting my efficiency by not using macros but I've gotten used to doing everything manually because that's what works for me, but to each there own what works for one person won't for another

Sai and GeekMatt like this.
  19. Lem

Lem New Member

Nah nah its me , i was the one saying that it might not be the usual way peoples use and im perfectly aware of this. Absolutly no harms taken ! I love playing with macros trying to find some functional combinations that could enhance my gameplay. Like i told you it was only my PoV that i would'n be able to go back to 100% " by the book " targeting / healing. And like you said , to each there own way , what is not acceptable to me is criticizing one method stating it terrifically inefficient or calling the whole system " limited " or having whatever kind of non-constructive comments like that. Even more if you dont even know whats your talking about. If your party's are surviving or never wipe due to healing issues then what can we say ? ;)

20. praysolace

Server:
    Brynhildr
    ...Wow. I meant no offense but clearly you took a lot of it. The reason I said I wouldn't recommend the method you were describing was because this thread is what was created by the system upon my creating a targeting guide, so I thought it would be right to tell you why I wasn't going to incorporate the feedback.

There was no need to lash out in vitriol and I am going to exit this conversation now.