Tank Compensating for Midas NM derps

Discussion in 'Disciples of War' started by GeekMatt, Mar 23, 2016.

1. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    First, this thread is based in cases where your party members slip up. If you prefer to complain about others rather than considering how you can step up yourself and excel at your job, then this thread isn't for you.

My observations are from the perspective of the healer. I was PLD main for 2 years and went AST in 3.0 for a change of pace.

In M1 you don't have to move to another corner if there's goop, if you can manage to position the boss outside the goop against a wall where DPS can still safely access his back, then the bomb mechanic is less likely to get confused and you can comfortably get back to your spot afterwords.

In M2 on the last robot, if you see that the cyclone was placed all the way on the other side of the room, don't hesitate to adjust your position closer to it. If you don't then we may lose half the party

In m3 it's not too hard to heal a tank when the other healer is jailed, but I've found if the available healer isn't totally prepared for it and you're receiving stacks at that point, that seems to be when the tank sometimes dies. Either there or when you're kiting around the room to avoid the hearts and the healer doesn't notice that you bolted totally out of range because they were healing the DRG and NIN that got bowled over on a 7 10 split. At these points you'll want to keep your trigger finger on your super buff.

[​IMG]

In M4 if you have at least one healer on top of things you can solo any tank busters in here, but you should still buff for them. Also with the dual robots there's no need to be on opposite ends of the room, you're just delaying a bit of DPS and making it a tad harder on the healers. This ENTIRE fight can be solo tanked.

Lastly, when Brute Justice spawns and the WHM uses Medica II , I immediately Stoneskin the WHM, disable the boss, and precast a hard heal on the WHM because they're about to eat a tank buster—I'm like 85% sure my Eso PLD can aggro Brute Justice before the tank buster lands. Admittedly I haven't done it yet (intend to PLD this week to try it out) but having to outdo the WHM on a fresh add isn't a new mechanic. My PLDs a little green on 3.0+ raids so I could be wrong on what the actual aggro numbers are here. But I keep thinking back to TEX and having to grab 2 fresh adds off of a WHM casting AoE heals and regens while DPS went full throttle on one add, all with me sitting in full VIT and a sub par relic. Learning to handle this phase was one of the highlights of my tanking career and one of few cases where a good pld made a baws OT.

The reason that I believe I can get Brute Justice before the tank buster is because I know there's time for a number of actions before it happens, and since you don't ever provoke when a fresh-aggro target appears that gives you 2 opportunities to establish hate. Traditionally it's Fight or Flight (if available) > shield lob > Fast Blade > Savage Blade > RoH while weaving Spirits Within > CoS in between GCD when pulling as a pld (or time FoF for DPS if you're confident in your snap aggro over your party). For Brute Justice I'd do the same, and the healer would potentially steal aggro from me somewhere around Fast Blade > Savage Blade in which case I'd Provoke before Rage of Halone, at which point I'm keeping it. If that proves too late you can provoke before Savage Blade, and/or save Spirits Within and CoS for after your Provoke.

In any case, the WHM takes aggro here at least once per DF run (sometimes repeatedly if we wipe), and I've never seen a tank hold it. The only time it doesn't happen is when I'm paired with a SCH.

Anyways, hope this is useful. Feel free to share your own tips for compensating for DF derps.

daztora and nekohime like this.
  2. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

Yep every time I'm paired with a DF WHM they forget and like to do back to back AOE heals and sure enough they be tanking.

I'm usually in Noc stance so it's a 50/50 if they are alive if the tank is fast enough to get aggro back.

3. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I did it on pld last night, I was caught off guard for a sec when Brute Justice ran away mid-combo but I got aggro before the tank buster no problem.