Class Playstyles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kingrockwolf, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Kingrockwolf

Kingrockwolf New Member

Hey! So I just bought this game and I'm so pumped but I just wanted to seek some advice/knowledge regarding classes (even though I know my character can be all of them). I'd just like to know if there's a class or job that makes you feel like you're in control of a fight in combat, as that CC / counterspell / Not Today Satan kind of play style is usually what I'm into (I play a lot of Blue in MTG). Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

2. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    Well most classes in order to benefit fully you will need to level other classes for cross class abilities. Just a early heads up.
    I would say perhaps try arcanist (later becomes summoner) . Smn also shares levelling with Scholar should you ever want to heal you will have it levelled up already :)
    Myself i love and main Black Mage, play Bard and Ninja as secondaries and for tank i use Warrior.
    I do expect once Stormblood hits i will go to Red Mage

I guess only job to feel in control would be a tank i guess

Caimie Tsukino likes this.
  3. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

For roles, Tank definitely gives the feel of control in a dungeon setting and a few trials and raids. I'm bias toward PLD but if you want to actually be able to keep your party going then it's the job with all the situational utility that keeps people alive, if played well. However if you're casting a needless heal or something then you're just wasting a GCD and possibly annoying the healers. "Situational" is the key word here, and depends on player awareness.

However, healer is the most powerful role in the game. If you're aware of what's going on then there is a god-like amount of party carrying you can do. The thing about healing in this game though, is that (imo) it's either the most boring role or most exciting role in the game depending on how things are going. Though to be fair, most healers complain about having to compensate for other players, which to me is just boring. I might be a massochist.

DPS in this game are mostly about Combo-managing, optimizing output, and occasionally some support when it's necessary. Very fun but the least 'in control' role.

4. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Vice Administrator

Server:
    Phoenix
    As an MTG player I understand what you mean by wanting a class that feels like a Blue deck. There aren't really any classes in the game that utilise crowd control features as the game is more about pumping out the most damage, keeping threat or keeping everyone alive. You generally don't do any crowd control in FFXIV, at least not in the PVE content.

5. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

I've been playing this game for a very long time, but it's still my first MMORPG, so I have to ask...

What's crowd control? As in, what is FFXIV missing in the sense of managing a crowd compared to other games?

6. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    I take care of crowds as blm, i burn them all :>
    I joke, i too have no idea what is mean't by it as FFXIV was my first ever mmo 4 years ago

7. Zheri

Zheri Crystal Brave

In an MMO context, it's usually long duration effects that keep enemies out of combat. The most iconic example is probably a WoW Mage's Polymorph, which turns an enemy into a sheep that just kinda wanders aimlessly for an entire minute (in PvE) or until it takes damage. It can also refer to stuns, silences, fears, and interrupts. There really isn;t a class in FFXIV with that type of toolkit.

Jinzuku likes this.
  8. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

In the hands of a skilled players PLD is king for stun, being that its on the GCD, and also has an oGCD silence. WHM and AST also have an AoE stun which are super useful on large pulls. But outside of stuns and silence the game is pretty lacking.

There are several target debuffs like PLD's STR down, as well as some aggro manipulation. Idk if those fall under that category.

Edit: there's also Sleep, an AoE sleep, and knockbacks. I suspect the real issue isn't the lack of crowd control utility, but the lack of value to crowd control. Knockbacks and sleep are more trouble-causing than they are useful.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  9. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Crystal Brave

Yeah it's more that the game doesn't call for them rather than the skills aren't present. In other games the mobs can actually do sizable damage or have their own CC abilities so you'd poly/sleep key ones while burning the others. In FF14 it's really just burn everything the tank pulls.

There were a few instances early on such as bards needing to silence Rams Voice during the relic fights or Mahees petrify skill.

Jinzuku and GeekMatt like this.
  10. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

The good ole' days. We haven't even seen any more mechanics like ADS, which in addition to being a DPS check required constant silencing

: Classes, newbie