China VPN Connection Speed

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Boomgrowl, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Boomgrowl

Boomgrowl New Member

Server:
    Masamune
    Hey team.

So trying to connect from China. Using two different VPNs, Express and Astrill, and a variety of different server locations including Japan and Korea, still getting nothing.

Anyone in China have a work around for this??
    Speed.png

2. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Vice Administrator

Server:
    Phoenix
    @Caimie Tsukino and @Fybrile are probably the best people to ask regarding this as they have both played the game from China.

3. Caimie Tsukino

Caimie Tsukino Realm Scribe

Top Poster Of Month

Server:
    Zalera
    I play the game in Hong Kong. But Hong Kong is very different from China. I don't need to use any VPN.
    Fybrile is definitely the one you wanna talk to.

4. Boomgrowl

Boomgrowl New Member

Server:
    Masamune
    Yeah if I understand correctly he is also in Shanghai too so would be great if he could help me troubleshoot this. Miss the game so much haha.

Also, I have a 200mb line so it's not that.

EDIT

Update: when I try ping Japanese servers I get nothing back, VPN on. Could that be due to maintenance?

EDIT

Update: so changed client from NA to EU and I manage to get up to about 1.5mbs but average at about .8mbs - not bad! But scared I'll get DC'd (it takes an age to check files when I start the launcher again).

EDIT

Update: DC'd, back to beginning :'C there has to be an easier way! Back to .08kbs...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  5. Boomgrowl

Boomgrowl New Member

Server:
    Masamune
    So my download speeds seem to always start high and then randomly drop off after x amount of time. 16gb left of what I can only assume is the first patch lol.

6. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    Could you have a download limit on your connection?

7. Boomgrowl

Boomgrowl New Member

Server:
    Masamune
    Further fiddling with my connection seems to have fixed the issue! 17 minutes remaining at 1.5mb/s :)

Can finally play, after 10 months of procrastination trying to figure this problem out haha!

Jinzuku likes this.
  8. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    Any idea what you did to make it work?

9. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry
    Sorry, was travelling for a bit.

You just need to start (any big Western downloads) first thing in the morning. If the speed is slow, just restart it a few times until it gets up to about 1-1.5. That's about as fast as it gets. Astrill is far superior, but you should use Stealth or OpenVPN instead of OpenWeb, and make sure it's settings are on Reliable rather than Fast, as Fast uses an encryption method that's easy for the PRC to block.

Welcome to Shanghai. Feel free to give me a message if you have any questions!~