Changing PS4 Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Jinzuku, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Vice Administrator

Server:
    Phoenix
    I was thinking of changing the hard drive in my PS4 for one is more space.

My only worry with this is that FFXIV won't work with the new hard drive if it thinks it's a new console because I believe the game links itself with the console rather than the PSN ID.

Does anyone know if changing the hard drive on a PS4 affects FFXIV at all?

Obviously that's assuming you played FFXIV on the old hard drive prior to switching.

2. praysolace

praysolace Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I don't know if the game download from PSN links to your console rather than your account, because all the other PS4s I've played on have belonged to people who already owned the game, but the S-E account is definitely linked only to your PSN and not the console (I log on with other people's machines all the time, just have to make a PS4 account for myself and log in with my PSN first).

There's a way in the OS to back up your current PS4 HD and restore it to a new or blank one, isn't there?

3. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    Yes you would need to save your data to storage, myself i had used a external hd.(Games saves, game data save it all) Cloud is always not reliable
    I do not recall it being linked to the console rather then PSN ID.
    Myself i upgraded several months ago to a 1 tb hd and did not encounter any real problems.
    If you do come across an issue there is also an option to reset licences, i have had to do that for some games

Jinzuku likes this.
  4. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Vice Administrator

Server:
    Phoenix
    I asked the question on the official forums too and pretty much got the same information. So it looks likes I'm safe to change the hard drive as long as I save all my data prior.

Now the question is what hard drive to get. I was planning on getting a 2TB one but not SSD as that is too rich for my blood.

I'm thinking of this: Hard Drive

Anyone know if this is good, bad or know of a better one?

5. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    Yeah i did not get SSD either, they just do lot last as long as Sata and are expensive. The one you linked seems good to me.
    If i recall i used a seagate, cost me less then $100 as got it on sale :)