Camera Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Araye, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Araye

Araye Active Member

Hi All,

First, if you don't know by now, I play on PS3.

Just wanted to get that stated upfront. If you have suggestions and you do not use PS3, my game experience may be different or that option may not exist for me.

Second, I am a PLD. I will always be a PLD, I love it.

Problem: As a tank, I must get within melee range of the bosses. As we go up in level, the bosses tend to get taller. I play in 3rd person view, zoomed nearly all the way out so I can see the whole battle field. I like to know where and what my heals are doing. Call me controlling if you must.

But what is happening is that if I step too close to the boss, my camera goes crazy, it zooms all the way in and looks up at the boss' face (as if through him) and even if I back off, I cannot correct the camera position until AFTER the battle.

I do not know all my camera settings. But I do know I am using the legacy style camera (I have tried the other - same effect. And I like the legacy camera because I can rotate the camera about my body and see how stunning I am in my armor).

Anyway, if you know what I'm talking about and have "fixed" your camera settings, I dearly need your advice.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Love,

Masha

masha-odessa 148.jpg
    GeekMatt likes this.
  2. HintOfMint

HintOfMint Active Member

What's the point of the picture...?
  3. Araye

Araye Active Member

That's how I say "Thank you".
    ilmaestro and GeekMatt like this.
  4. xusha

xusha Well Known Member

Gah! If only you played on PC.
    I know how get rid of that on PC, by just hitting home. But sadly, don't know on PS.
    Also yeah, the camera view while tanking is very annoying.
  5. Grimus

Grimus Well Known Member

If you know what command the home button does for PC it can be placed on the controller with key binding I believe. I play as a Bard and run into this funky camera issue only when i'm doing stupid things in towns like running into a light post while i'm eating.
  6. Araye

Araye Active Member

I have a keyboard... just not a mouse. When I get off the shoot, I will log in and press the home button on my PS3 keyboard. It may do something.

I will report back later.
  7. xusha

xusha Well Known Member

Sadly it doesn't say the alternative for PS.
    [​IMG]
    It should be "toggle between 1st/3rd person"
  8. Araye

Araye Active Member

No, I can toggle between the two (first person view and 3rd). I just have to press down on the right stick.

What I mean is that it goes from zoomed way out "bird's eye view" to immediately looking up from the ground at the boss' face in close-up and then stays zoomed in. It's a good thing I do not get seasick.

I have to back a few steps away from the boss and then attempt to zoom back out to see the field. Usually, I cannot ever zoom back out until the boss fight is over. Plus, while I'm stepping backward, I have aggro. Guess what the boss is doing, stepping forward. As soon as he is on top of me, camera goes all crazy again.

I spend most of the time fighting the battle from within the boss, never seeing my surrounding.

I guess this is good as it allows me to watch the aggro bars. Just don't ask me to dodge... ain't happening.
  9. ilmaestro

ilmaestro Well Known Member

Have you tried playing with the camera directly overhead?
  10. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Well Known Member

You're controlling.

Hey! I don't have this problem with my ps3 and I'm also a tank with legacy cam view (I really only play to watch my lallafel beat up enormous monsters). I just went through my settings to see if I could spot anything that may cause this, but nope.
  11. Araye

Araye Active Member

I cannot seem to park the camera exactly above the boss. It always has a slight angle to it. And yes, I've tried a high angle.

I bet I have some setting somewhere toggled on that is messing with me.

Especially if other ps3 users aren't having the problem.

Edit: I userstand the camera changes zoom when it's position encounters terrain or an obstacle that would interfere with the view. It seems like if I go inside the boss, his skin becomes the obstacle that would inhibit the cameras view and it zooms in to his skin level.

Anyone understanding what I'm trying to say here? English is my fourth language and I'm not sure I'm communicating this correctly.
  12. xusha

xusha Well Known Member

Yeah I understand maybe.
    You're having issues with your camera while fighting the boss. With the boss the camera zooms in so much that you generally only see the boss. Correct?
    If so, that's standard sadly. What I do (if that's your problem) is turn my camera so that the boss' back is shown. So instead of eagle eye on my person, it's more of an eagle on the boss.
  13. ilmaestro

ilmaestro Well Known Member

Hmm, that definitely is wrong then. You should be able to keep moving the angle higher and higher until it is directly looking down on the top of your character's head.
    GeekMatt likes this.
  14. Araye

Araye Active Member

Ok, that you all for your advice and concern. I have fixed it. It was a setting. I also discovered what I consider a bug.

First the bug: if the camera has a total zoom distance of 100 and I zoom to 70, I expect that dn camera to stay at 70. As I stated previously, if an object or terrain exists at 70, then the camera should and does move to the next available distance, say 65... This is normal and expected. The bug is that the camera never reverts to 70 once the object is no longer impeding my desired location of 70.

If I set it to 70, I want it at 70 unless there is an object in the way. To make matters worse, in order for me to get the camera back to 70, I have to move the character 70 from the camera itself since the camera thinks it's at 70.

Now of course I have no idea what 70 is, maybe it would be good to say 70% of the total zoom distance.

So that's my best at exlaining the bug.

Now the camera setting that was giving me trouble is this:

In character configuration, there is a target tab. On that tab, there is target settings.

There are three available choice: make sure "ruin my day" is not checked!

It's obvious in hindsight. Smile

No, three check boxes. I had "auto lock on target when initiating auto-attack" checked. This was the source of my pain.

Thanks again!

Masha
    ilmaestro and xusha like this.