Best Job for DPS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brahma, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Brahma

Brahma Well Known Member

I know this is all kind of relative because each class is so different--maybe enough so to say the choice comes down to preference--, but I'd like help in deciding which class/eventually job is best for me?

Archer: leveled to 24. I love its range, and the DPS seems decent.
    Bard: I think I can handle gaining some support abilities, but does the DPS role suffer any?

Pugilist: Insta-leveled to 15, then tried it out. I really like its abilities, but I don't know if I like being that close.
    Monk: I don't really know much. But, TIFA! :D

Lancer: Insta-leveled to 15, then tried it out. Seems like a perfect balance between ARC and PUG--close-range but not TOO close--, but the abilities seem a little more complicated than the ones for the other classes.
    Dragoon: Don't really know much.

Thoughts? Opinions?
  2. Jesse Welch

Jesse Welch Active Member

Problem is that there is no best dps class. Some enemies are weak to blunt damage, others to piercing damage, others to magic damage and so on. A monk may be awesome in one boss fight and worthless in another. To be a good dps for a free company, you will need to level two or three dps classes and know ahead of time which one to bring.
    Brahma likes this.
  3. Brahma

Brahma Well Known Member

Good point, and thanks for the reply. My real name happens to be Jesse. :D

What you said kind of makes me want to main Lancer or Pug and use the other as my secondary class, which I'll have to do sort of for my job, anyway, if I play either of those classes. Hmm... I'm probably overthinking this.
  4. Aidenn

Aidenn Active Member

I love how THM/BLM was not even considered. I got THM to the beta level cap (35) If you manage things correctly and know how to use your spells and abilities correctly, it has to be one of the most effective DPS classes.
    Anzactrooper likes this.
  5. Brahma

Brahma Well Known Member

Eh, I don't really like mage classes in RPG settings. I did get THM insta-leveled to 15, too, to try it out, and I think THM is a great DPS option but not for me. I just don't like the play style.
  6. Calle Sigvardsson

Calle Sigvardsson Member

I hear you dude! I am the same, I love dps classes and going Monk myself. I dunno what it is, I just love the looks of fist weapon and the skills of the Monks i´ve seen so far (havent beta tested anything).
    I looked on Archer/Bard and Lancer/Dragoon myself and my thoughts were that Archer/Bard will be semi support and I don´t like that, and well kiting isn´t really one of my favourite things to do. Lancer/Dragoon looks awesome with their gear and stuff, but don´t like their weapon tbh, that´s why I picked Monk and I do know Monk have some healing abilites and support stuff too but idc about that when it comes to the Monk.

And if Samurai get´s in the game after the first patch, I am going to main as that :)
    I totally agree with you on the point of THM/BLM I just don´t like magic spellcasting dps.
    Brahma likes this.
  7. Brahma

Brahma Well Known Member

I just don't like not being able to take much damage but not being able to move much (when casting) either. Archer can't take a whole lot of damage, but at least it can move around a bit and avoid getting hit. Bard really, really concerns me, though. I don't mind gaining support abilities, but I don't want my role to change too much. I also don't like lancer's weapons, but the armor is awesome for Dragoon. Pugilist is the opposite. I kind of like the weapons, but the armor is just okay.
  8. Orien

Orien Well Known Member

They have actually done a decent job at balancing things across the board. I would say with all the passives and procs THM is going to be the highest possible peak DPS of any of the damage dealing classes. That instant/free proc from the "Thundercloud" trait line is a significant piece of instant DPS and while 5% isn't a tremendous rate it is enough to generate a few procs during the span of even low level dungeon bosses.

Pugilist is pretty good. It works best if you can have one mob on you for the Haymaker procs and then just be using your positional abilities on a mob that is focused on the tank. Again it is a nice little chunk of DPS increase.

Everything is pretty close when all is said and done though.
  9. Novaultima

Novaultima Active Member

Against targets with the same resistances of all types:
    THM > PGL > LNC/ARC(They are kinda similar)

Point is there are different resistances like piercing, stagger, blow or magic resistance so each class can be better at different targets.

Though I guess THM still will be the best DD, undependable of the target. It would shock me if it wouldn´t be like that in any MMO. Pugilist will have the most konstant DPS, decent played and Lancer will be the AoE and debuff mashine plus 2. or in worst case 3. best solo DPS(and even a very good survivality). Archer is kinda the same DPS as Lancer, just that he is ranged and get´s his AoE earlier.
    Brahma likes this.
  10. Brahma

Brahma Well Known Member

^ above: Interesting. So, are Arc/Lnc both "piercing" type DPS classes?

@ Ocien: That's basically what I gathered from my limited testing of all the classes. Not one felt, to me, to be at a major advantage or disadvantage. I'm not one to necessarily play the "best," anyway, so I guess I'm still torn. I'll just have to play them all.
  11. Orien

Orien Well Known Member

Yes both are piercing.

Also I'd imagine there will be magic resistant targets to make THM have some fights where they can't reach full potential.

Can't wait for more classes and 2nd wave of additional jobs. Things are so vanilla right now. It's my biggest complaint about the game. There is so little diversity. Especially having played all these classes extensively in 1.0 nothing is really grabbing my attention in particular. I enjoy them still just nothing is jumping out of the pack as a favorite at the moment really. Thaumaturge is probably the one I've enjoyed the most though.
    Brahma likes this.
  12. Falchetto

Falchetto Member

THM/BLM can DD, can crowd control, and can backup heal... imho theres no better DD out there.
  13. Syn

Syn Guest

BLM will be nerfed for sure, if played correctly you never run out of MP whilst dealing tons of damage, not complaining since BLM is my main but I am sure it will be adjusted in the future. It's hella OP at the moment lol.
  14. Novaultima

Novaultima Active Member

You didn´t check Dragoon really yet huh? Not just they can selfheal themself and have nice survavility plus they are able to tank and stop Bosses actions regulary(break AoE actions or loaded skills), they have also the most regulary and hard hitting melee AoE´s.

THM/BLM has to much issues with MP I think, by spaming their most blowing skills.
  15. Syn

Syn Guest

Able to tank? Maybe lowbies, DRG in 1.0 had super low HP for DPS, and defense, don't expect to be tanking stuff at high levels, DRG main focus is DPS.
  16. Novaultima

Novaultima Active Member

Ofc they main focus DPS, and also decent tanking is only possible with Lancer(deactivating crystal) because only as Lancer they can still use enmity and defensive skills... but the other facts are already attracting this class as best allround DPS for me personally.

For example you can jump in mobcrouds with getting aggro but you won´t die so soon. Black Mage and Dragoon are anyways the best combination for crowds and hard bosses, Pugilist/Monk ist just for straight DPS and Archer/Bard is some kind of a DPS/support class.
  17. Falchetto

Falchetto Member

I think you are mistaking the best DD with the best soloer.
    No offense but from a tank's perspective being able to self heal and tank is moot, we already have a tank and a healer.
    The ability to sleep adds is just too good to pass on a DD class/job, and cure (not cure-self) is a handy spell.
    In my ideal light party the first DD is a THM, the second can be anyone.
  18. Novaultima

Novaultima Active Member

On endgame I doubt sleep would be any help if you have AoE DD´s in your group. Sleep is always for extreme crouds situations or for tutorial/early gameplay, but on highend you´ll have often situations where classes like Dragoon, Warrior or others will just try spam their AoE´s, but you can´t blame them because it´s just more effective with it to kill crowds obviously.

A Dragoon or Warrior is better AoE wise because if he get´s aggro, the targets don´t move away from he others melees, while THM/Black Mage with aggro from AoE just taking away the mobs from the others by trying to kite the target... and Dragoon can selfheal or stun/slow targets to prevent need beeing healed too much while AoEing - this, just beeing sayed, is better than sleep imo.

Cure is not a DD aspect, as while you do it, DPS is lacking again. Also the amount you cure with it beeing not a White Mage(Druide) is hilarious low, so that it wouldn´t help much.

What I want to point out is, THM/BLM "advantages" are often getting destroyed by other players actions or affinities, this is not the case for Dragoon - all he does and is able to do is helping the group without any issues and keeps his own DPS also constant.

For crowds, those mentioned classes might not differ much, but for hard Bosses Dragoon is definetly more effective and propably more wanted later on than a BLM, since he can break actions where melees usually run out of the aoe circle and keep group DPS constant this way, and slowing down, both so regular, that the cc timer won´t hurt much.
  19. Orien

Orien Well Known Member

That's why you don't play with dumb shits and organize things.....problem solved.

Also LNC isn't tanking anything worthwhile. It can be tankish for soloing and even in some low level instances but so can PGL which can also equip enmity skills. Neither of which are that great at it and can be put to better use in other ways.
    Syn likes this.
  20. Brahma

Brahma Well Known Member

Okay. THM can be the best DPS if y'all want it to be. I'd expect it to be, technically, since it is in every other MMO I've ever played except maybe PSU (if that even counts). But, where mages excel in some areas, they are weak in others, and those spots they are weak matter to me, and that's why I don't like the play style.

Any choice I make in the end won't be a bad choice, so I don't care if the nuke 'em class is better on the books. I don't like pure nuking classes. Not that THM is only good at nuking... They can play secondary healer, support, put things to sleep, etc. etc. But, that's what it comes down to for me.

Now, I'm still a little torn--mostly between LNC and PUG--, but I'll be playing both for whatever job I choose anyway (MNK or DGN). Thanks for all the insight; this thread definitely helped me out some.