Believe in the Heart of the Cards: An AST Guide

Discussion in 'Guide Discussion' started by MiKairi, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh

2. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Really liked reading your POV on the cards and learned a few things. Also your take on Diurnal and Nocturnal.

I just hit 50 AST this morning and am looking forward to trying out Nocturnal. I realize the inferiority to SCH makes it very "meh", and I've read a lot of ASTs who agree with you, but I really enjoy being able to shield targets; particularly silly DPS standing in an AoE that might one-shot them, where a regen just wouldn't help. Maybe because I run with a lot of newbies.

Your skill breakdown was useful but could use some simple formatting. Maybe bolding the name of each skill? Reading it on my phone I sometimes got confused as to when a description finished. Admittedly I was multitasking though.

Also, small detail but your Cards ability list wasn't broken into paragraphs at one part.

3. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    Thank-you for the feedback, Matt. I updated the layout for the skills slightly (minus the card breakdown in the skills) to make it easier to read.

GeekMatt likes this.
  4. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Something I keep trying to remember us that Luminiferous Aether doesn't reduce the aggro you've generated like Shroud of Saints, it reduces the aggro you'll be building going forward like quelling strikes :shifty:

I just read over your guide again 'cuz I'm bored at work and missing my Astrologian. The additions are good and it sounds like you're waiting for 3.05 to finish it up? I'd like to put off rating it until it's complete.

As for my AST, I tried out Nocturnal and found it sucked--it was just terrible in comparison on trash, but still better than Diurnal for sure on that first boss of Dusk Vigil, due to being able to instantly shield a party member (especially myself) when they're stunned before the mammoth attacks them. So trying to make a habit of swapping dances just for that boss I accidentally started keeping Nocturnal on, and I've slowly warmed up to it. I'm currently favouring Nocturnal specifically for learning purposes, but I'm finding I like it on certain bosses more than Diurnal whereas Diurnal is king on trash, and often for allowing me to DPS more by keeping Regens up.

I kind of want to do T10 just to make the Prey mechanic a walk in the park. And Titan EX in DF just to see how well I can keep alive the people who like to stand in AoEs.

5. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    I'm mainly waiting for AST buffs to see where Celestial Opposition lays afterwards. I don't think my opinion on Diurnal/Nocturnal will change much simply because I'm the "white mage" in my raid group and have a scholar cohealer.
    edit: I definitely meant Collective Unconscious, not CO. I'm half asleep. Woops!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  6. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    Saw the patch notes. The AST buffs weren't anything too major. Guide updated accordingly and is all set now.

GeekMatt likes this.
  7. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

I thought it was pretty big, although no stance dancing T_T

Will read later. Right now, AST-ing

8. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Towards the end you discuss how you use the cards. I don't think this has been adapted to 3.0, still claiming to RR the Spear for AoE purposes

9. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    Thank-you for pointing that out. I'll fix it when I'm done raiding

GeekMatt likes this.
  10. nobopyon

nobopyon Crystal Brave

great guide and thank you for making one!

one question, when I heal, I always targeted on MT, therefore, my party list won't show who is the highest dps at the moment.

Do you select boss to see who is the highest dps and give balance card? or am I doing something wrong that my party list don't have the hate numbers?

how would you prepare for incoming big raid wide AOE as AST? I can think of idealy keep Bole with expand RR on... but with RNG, it might be hard to do...?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  11. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    Disable if the AoE is being cast > Lightspeed > Celestial Opposition > Stoneskin > Synastry the MT and heal the PT until you're done. If you're in Nocturnal Sect, Aspected Helios > Collective Unconscious AS the attack hits > break asap and Helios.

I select the boss (I stance dance on every healer so I see the aggro list at least once) but lately I have been running ACT again. I wouldn't recommend parsing in a guide as it's against the ToS and this is intended to be new player/healer friendly but it's always an option.

GeekMatt and nobopyon like this.
  12. nobopyon

nobopyon Crystal Brave

wow... that's great rotation :dreamy:

I will def. keep that rotation in mind!

Just for myself to understand correctly, and a few question.

Disable can be casted during the boss's AOE casting? or it has to be right before he cast?
    Also, Celestial Opposition can extend Lightspeed timer? (I wouldn't think this at all for some reason).

13. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    It can be casted while the cast is happening. Once the cast itself is done, it's too late, animation or otherwise.
    Yes, CO extends Lightspeed. As well as Synastry/LF. It extends any beneficial effects you put on the party/yourself.

nobopyon likes this.
  14. Spokey Dokey

Spokey Dokey Crystal Brave

Server:
    Ultros
    Interesting guide. It would be nice if the in-game descriptions of the skills were actually as clear as what you have here. There is always people fighting over what does what, but I think now we all pretty much agree. The problem just lies in the language.

GeekMatt likes this.