Bard Bard armor sets

Discussion in 'Disciples of War' started by Saikoh, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Saikoh

Saikoh Member

When I choose my class in an MMO visuals play a big role. While I enjoy the gameplay of archer quite a lot, the armor set shown in character creation makes me cringe. Do all bard armor sets follow the same general style or can I hope for something a bit less extravagant and sexually ambigous?
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. vicious

vicious Active Member

I don't know that anyone can honestly answer this question right now. Nobody has seen endgame and we have NO idea how SE is going to move with what they hear from the crowd. The AF gear set for Bard is extremely unpopular and I'm sure they know it. I'd personally expect them to move in another direction in the future.
  3. Cynessae

Cynessae Active Member

It's that unpopular? I love it, but not on all races/genders. Looks very snazzy on a female miqo'te, though. :D
    vicious likes this.
  4. RoseFaithful

RoseFaithful Member

Have you ever read about the costumes old Shakespearean actors had to work in? Everything Bards have look like that to me.
    Vicious is correct though. I would honestly be shocked if SE didn't adjust the designs.
  5. Eckoh

Eckoh New Member

where are the pictures of them?
  6. vicious

vicious Active Member

Oh yeah - every major board that's talking about ARR has at least one thread tearing Bard apart - at least it's costume. I don't mind it, but it is a little... "special".
  7. Romeoh

Romeoh Active Member

My wife adores the Artifact Gear for the Bard, as soon as she saw it she decided she would be a Bard. I think it's just a matter of opinion really - in my opinion there's nothing wrong with the Bard's AF Armour but I CANNOT stand the Paladin's and Scholar's. Considering the amount of concept art released for each job, and the fact that that the Bard makes an appearance in the CGI videos they've released, I doubt it's going to change.

It would set a pretty dangerous precedent, letting the players design the game's characters. If that happened, they would upset a lot of people who LIKED the Bard, and there are lots of people out there who do like it.

And then where would it stop? Get enough posts on the forums to change Monk's? White Mage's? Nah.

Besides, I haven't mentioned yet the final nail of the coffin - that the forums aren't indicative of the entire player base's opinions, in fact, the forums represent only a fraction of the player base. I think Yoshi and SE have enough sense to not change years of armour models, concept design and implementation because some vocal people have made a thread on the forums.

My two cents.
  8. Kaven

Kaven Active Member

Vanity slots should alleviate some of the embarrassment, of looking like a ruffled chicken. But I have to agree, initially it was a major turn off for me when looking at the Bard Job and their respective gear.
  9. Tiberius Darksbane

Tiberius Darksbane Active Member

10. Eckoh

Eckoh New Member

why is there so much hate on that set??? it seems to fit the theme of the game quite well
    Romeoh likes this.
  11. Tiberius Darksbane

Tiberius Darksbane Active Member

why? because square got fixed error 3102 ,9k ,early access reg error already and some people need to hate something in order to be happy:stop::stop::stop::stop::stop:
    Romeoh likes this.
  12. Saikoh

Saikoh Member

You really have to ask? When I look at the set I dont even think 'bard', I think 'jester' and in case of the male version - 'transvestite jester'.

If you have to go in that direction with the archer, Id prefer something along the lines of:

[​IMG]

I dont know if you played Witcher 2 but that game had a few nice armor sets that id consider bard-like.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    Probably_Nice likes this.
  13. Real

Real Member

[​IMG]

It seems as if the male and female version of the bard armor is the same. If they made the male version more "masculine" (i.e shoulders and back covered, skirt changed) would probably quieten people down.

This picture is a good example of masculine/feminine versions of armor:
    [​IMG]
  14. vicious

vicious Active Member

I don't think you'll surprise anybody with the bolded and underlined part - most complaints are that the gear is too feminine :p.

The rest of your post I agree with to an extent. You NEED to listen to your player base and the voices that get heard are the vocal ones. NOT listening to the player base is what got them in so much hot water with 1.0. The players in beta - myself included - digitally SCREAMED OUT that the game was not ready - SE chose not to listen.
    Probably_Nice likes this.
  15. Legwen

Legwen Well Known Member

I like the armor set, but i would hide the helm.
    vicious likes this.
  16. Ryo Kiritsueda

Ryo Kiritsueda Newbie

I suppose it is all a matter of taste. I personally love the look and can't wait to get my set. I will admit that the armor doesn't seem very suitable for male characters, however. It looks quite ridiculous on a hulking Roegadyn.
  17. Eckoh

Eckoh New Member

i guess i do not mind it because my toon is female... but i can see it looking rather silly on a male toon.
  18. Romeoh

Romeoh Active Member

They could make some adjustments to the male version of it, some modifications to make it a lil more masculine. I like the overall art direction though, its groovy ;)
  19. kfen

kfen Active Member

Since when are flared tights and what appear to be pumps not masculine? David Bowie or Eddie Izzard could have pulled off that look like nobody's business back in the day.
    Romeoh likes this.
  20. Romeoh

Romeoh Active Member

I stand corrected. Kinda. ;)