Any info on fishing?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Thyristor, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Thyristor

Thyristor Member

Whenever I get tired of the grind I usually just find myself a quiet spot somewhere off the main areas and fish for a while for some of the rarer sea-dwellers.

This goes for ingame in most mmo games that have fishing in them and real life whenever I get the chance :p

I really enjoyed the fishing they had back in the 1.0 beta as it was somewhat more engaging than just sitting there and waiting like you do i.e. in WoW.

Also a great way of passing time while watching series on my 2nd monitor.

Any news on when fishing will be available? And in what form?
    Luko likes this.
  2. Reece

Reece Active Member

I'm guessing it'll be the standard gathering system as Botany + Mining. Percentage based options. Then as you go higher, an offhand tool could be a harpoon or a net or something to catch those varieties.

General fishing spots could be called Shallow Pool.. And the other could be Deep Reef or something meh Idk
  3. Luko

Luko Well Known Member

I don't have the link to it, but during the E3 interview, Yoshi actually gave some underwhelming news to us anglers. He said he didn't want fishing to be a mini-game like it was in 1.0. He views it as a totally recreational activity and feels that it should be something you just go and relax with, rather than put effort into. This made me sad.

Whether or not he's stuck to this we don't know, considering there's been zero info on it and it wasn't in the beta. Here's hoping for a P4 inclusion.

(also yay for fishing<3)
    Rage McMurder and Reece like this.
  4. Reece

Reece Active Member

I find that disappointing that he classes it as a recreational 'activity' rather than a real gatherer to put work in.
    It's gonna play as much part in cooking + alchemy as anything will compliment each other.

I hope it's not just fishing rods though, maybe some nets, harpoons.. Even in FC Player Housing having a boat to fish on would be epic ; ;
    Rage McMurder and mwyn like this.
  5. Luko

Luko Well Known Member

Oh god. That got me all tingly. I'm not sure I'd ever get around to leveling my combat classes. :p

It'd be 1.0 all over again! For the longest time my fisherman was 15+ levels higher than any of my DoW/DoM classes. :dead:
  6. Reece

Reece Active Member

I'm honestly praying and begging there's something like that for Player Housing, I'd be so ecstatic I'd never leave my FC town. I'd be building and crafting all day
    mwyn likes this.
  7. Thyristor

Thyristor Member

Thanks for the info Luko, I'll see if I can dig up that E3 interview and see what I can find there.

If I come across any more info later on (I'll be looking actively), I'll repost it here :)
  8. Grimus

Grimus Well Known Member

I hope fishing isn't just put on the back burner. Also FC boats sounds like the greatest thing i've ever heard. Or even private docks/ponds for FC? Nothing will ever top my first memories of fishing on the Selbina ferry.. but god damn do I want to try.
  9. Reece

Reece Active Member

Yeah in skype the other night we discussed that, possibly. a Carpenter + Mix of different crafts are needed within the FC to build a little boat. So your members would have to be crafting lots!

Private Piers/Docks/Ponds/Rivers etc would be awesome.
    We was saying like your own Mining pen/fenced off area or even a small cave in the side of the mountainside (If there was one)
    A private farming area to grow your own certain trees/bushes for Botany so you can choose what you'd like to harvest the most.

I wish it was in depth as this :(

Maybe we should all pitch in and put a serious suggestion thread for these ideas on the Beta forums.
    Kreizy likes this.
  10. Exire

Exire Active Member

I kinda get where Yoshi-P is coming from, in reality it's extremely recreational. Something to pass the time while you do other things, though that doesn't mean I agree fishing should be left unused in the game. Some really interesting ideas there, plus when you have all the other crafting and gathering classes with some level of steps in them, it doesn't make sense for fishing to literally be left out. Many people spend their lives fishing, some travel just for certain fishing spots. It's almost its own community, like how I'm sure there would be people spending all their time in the Gold Saucer. People love gambling, even get into the science and probability of it all. For fishing to left as a simple afterthought when everything else gets some degree of attention would be really sad. Perhaps when the game goes live, if enough people voice concerns about it, they'd make some updates in a future patch.

The boat idea is seriously sweet haha. Put your own designs on it, have your FC emblem, give your boat its own name. You could put upgrades on it like engines or upgraded sails and a hull. Granted, your not going to naval battle (or could you...?) but all those features for fishermen could be available. You could get some bonuses of some sort from those upgrades too, perhaps the bonuses would be augmented depending on the weather as well. Very interesting stuff.
    Reece likes this.
  11. Grimus

Grimus Well Known Member

I've read that its supposed to be a purely social activity, and not much of a money maker.. Does this mean there will be no form of levels or progress to fishing? Will fish.. once caught be nothing more than an inventory place holder? Will they have a price to be sold to vendors.. and how much of a demand will there be for fish from crafts such as Culinary? I heard Alchemy will no longer use fish.
  12. Exire

Exire Active Member

I've seen some various posts on other forums and websites about people playing Beta 3.0 and seeing that there are alchemy and culinary recipes that include fish. So, you can assume there will be people buying fish in the Market. I've heard from Yoshi-P in a couple interviews say that fishing will not be a very big money maker. He sees fishing as something to pass the time when you have nothing better to do, but there is little to no information I could find about fishing. I know in 1.0 it was at least a little more complicated with playing a hot and cold pulling game with the fish. From Yoshi-P's comments, its hard to tell what fishing will become. Will it be an official class like the other Gatherers or will it be nothing more than a hobby some people do. It sounds like from what fishing was, he may have cut the class off at the knees. However, there is no proof so there's only one way to find out I suppose. Wait another week or two for open beta, if Arcanist will make it then I see no reason why fishing wouldn't.

Anyway, I don't think you need to worry about fish being just a spot in your inventory, they'll have uses in a couple crafting spots at least. The class could have totally gotten butchered though, it's hard to say. Much like the stock market, everything is supply and demand. Will there be tons of alchemists and culinarians? Will they see fish as a hot item to craft very effective potions or food? Well, I don't know, depends what the game offers doesn't it? I liked fishing in FFXI, but I'm not very optimistic about the class being all that important or worthwhile in this game. At least not in the near future.
    Grimus likes this.
  13. Fybrile

Fybrile Moderator

This is all from memory, so don't ask me for a source, cuz it comes from a variety of them:

1. It won't be a mini game (as Luko said) like it had been in 1.0.
    2. You will fish by selecting the pole and the lure - Yoshi-P has mentioned that there will be different combinations that will work differently depending on your location, fresh water vs. salt water, and weather.
    3. There will be a bunch of achievements attached to the system, which will (IMO) likely form the primary motivator for fishing.
    4. The system is highly susceptible to botting, so to combat RMT, fish will not be a good way to make gil (said they'd be inexpensive).
    5. Yoshi-P has said that the primary role of fishing will be something relaxing people can do to "get closer to nature" (this aspect of fishing, getting close to nature, is a point he repeated several times in the E3 video Luko mentioned, though it's uncertain what that actually means).
    6. Becuase of his comments about the lack of market importance of fish, it is unclear whether or not fishing will still play a role as a gathering class for crafters (specifically, culinarian & alchemist). While I can't speak for alchemist, I can say that I've yet to see a food item that was made of fish in 2.0
    Luko and Grimus like this.
  14. Grimus

Grimus Well Known Member

I'll like this post based on informational value.. but strongly dislike it based on how much I enjoyed fishing in XI and 1.0

Heres to hoping the achievement system will be something engaging.
    Rage McMurder likes this.
  15. Reece

Reece Active Member

I'm glad they have decided to not make Fishing a great money maker, because for those that played XI. Fish botting was out of control.
    I'm upset he sees it as a craft to pass the time. I mean in XI Cooking had tons of fish recipes. Alchemy had a few, this time around Alchemist has a couple and Culinarian has hardly any to be honest.

I think like they said, it's aiming to be a fun activity and to keep the people that enjoy it motivated they add those achievement factors. That way people will keep doing it, and by maxing it out or earning certain poles/bait aswell is part of bragging rights.

I'd like to see more Culinarian recipes use fish and for it to have a real market value not a category that just sells because 1 recipe every 15 levels needs it to skill up on rather than any profit.

I'm still dreaming on my FC Boat in player housing though... :(
  16. Luko

Luko Well Known Member

Even though he's stated that it won't be a great money maker, I'm still hoping its useful. Maybe make the fish unable to be sold on the trading post or something so that you'll still be able to give them to guild mates for cooking or alchemy.

We'll see come release, obviously, I'm just pretty anxious for it. MMO fishing has always been an addiction of mine.
  17. Exire

Exire Active Member

Well while I like the idea of fishing off a dock in Limsa while chatting with my online buds to be relaxing and fun, it isn't exactly high on my list of things to do. I'll be busy hitting max level on at least a couple battle classes before I'd move into working on gathering and crafting. The latter has intrigued me more than I ever thought possible. I've always looked at crafting as a necessary evil, but the more I read into possibilities the more excited I get about it. Shocking for me really, but I guess that's beside the point. My REAL point being, even with fishing I'd consider it a big disappointment to not take advantage of one element of the game when I see almost every other element used and expanded upon.
  18. Raiga

Raiga Member

Hmm, well reading up on these comments, I think it'll be disappointing if fishing isn't at least good for cooking. It wouldn't make any sense if it wasn't. Even if the cooked fish is bound and just gives slight stat boosts, or even just healing, it'd be worth it.
  19. Luko

Luko Well Known Member

I leveled cooking to 20 this past weekend. There were quite a few fish involved, but they all seemed to be available from the vendor.

I have a feeling when he says he doesn't want them to be profitable that he's referring to vendor prices. The biggest fish bot money making schemes involved a few types of fish that were shockingly valuable to vendors. If that's not the case, maybe he'll just make it so we can't put them on the auction house. At any rate, I'd be pretty pissed off if they didn't end up being part of crafting at all.

As much as I love fishing, if it seriously has zero impact on the professions or on my wallet, chances are I wont be doing it much.
  20. ThadeusStern89

ThadeusStern89 Active Member

I honestly thought that Fishing would be a legitimate class, but if that's not the case I'd be dissapointed.