Arcanist Aetherflow and Energy Drain - Explanation Needed

Discussion in 'Disciples of Magic' started by Nichigo, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Nichigo

Nichigo Content Moderator Content Moderator

So this has bugged me since I started playing ACN:

Aetherflow
    Duration: Infinite

Energy Drain
    Can only use under effect of Aetherflow

Why can I only use Energy Drain once per Aetherflow activation if it's effect is "infinite"?
  2. Ryouzanpaku

Ryouzanpaku Member

ED consumes it
  3. Nichigo

Yeah i figured that but wasn't sure because nothing in either descriptions says that explicitly OR implicitly lol.

I only realized that was the actual case when I got Aetherflow II and saw that I could now use Energy Drain twice.

Definitely needs a clearer description.
  4. ShinSuta

ShinSuta Member

I think it's already pretty clear when you look in detail.

You have Aetherflow, which gives you 20% of your mana when you use it. Just that.
    Then, you have Aetherdam I, II, III (the traits). Those traits give you a buff when you use Aetherflow, each rank give you one stack of the buff "Aetherflow". This is what is consumed when you use Energy Drain (or later spells). And until you consume it, dispell it, or change class, the buff duration is infinite.

In other words :
    You have Aetherdam I, using Aetherflow gives you 1 stack, you can use ED once.
    You have Aetherdam II, using Aetherflow gives you 2 stacks, you can use ED twice.
    You have Aetherdam III, using Aetherflow gives you 3 stacks, you can use ED three times.
  5. Nichigo

Yeah, I get that. The thing is...NOTHING says that ED consumes anything. It just says "you need to be under the effect of Aetherflow to use"...that in no way implies that it actually consumes the Aetherflow.

It's not clear at all until you actually start using it. I'd like to hear *anyone* say they actually understood fully how ED worked before using it or hearing it explained by someone else.

Pretty sure everyone tried hitting the ED button two times in a row the first time they used it :p

*ACN player learns ED
    *ACN player exlaims "Yay! Finally real damage!"
    *ACN player tries to double tap ED....

[​IMG]

*Goes back to spamming Ruin*

That was my experience anyway xD
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  6. Kozmyk

Kozmyk New Member

you do real damage either way. Lots of DOT damage. im enjoying my ACN
    in dungeons it may nit seem like it, but that could be my gear... idk.

either way, i dont read what skills do, i use em to find out. so I never had this problem. lol
  7. Nichigo

So you never had the problem cuz you never read the unclear instructions :p

Might want to read your skills though man. Hope you're not just spamming Virus on everyone and their mom. You kind of need to know what things like that are actually doing to use them effectively (and you wouldn't know unless you read it cuz it's a pure DeBuff).

Also, don't get me wrong. I love ACN. And I love DOT. But ED was a tease. It gave me a taste of bigger damage. Then told me I could only use it once every 1.5 minutes :p

I am alot happier now that I got Aetherflow II though. Can't wait til i get III @_@
    Kozmyk likes this.
  8. ilmaestro

ilmaestro Well Known Member

Yup, fully agree. Until I used the ability for myself, from reading the initial description it seemed like you could use Energy Drain as many times as you like until "something" caused you to no longer be under the effect of Aetherflow - it isn't clear just from reading the descriptions that activating Energy Drain is itself the thing that causes you to "use up" Aetherflow.
  9. Kozmyk

Kozmyk New Member

I honestly don't use virus that much, unless on a boss in a dungeon, but I guess I should read what it actually does. Lmao.

Sucks, I don't have any time to play today til after midnight. T-T
    Im like 10 levels away from SMN, already have THM at 15.
  10. Nichigo

You're farther along than me lol. I'm 24 ACN and only have a 6 CNJ as my 2nd (wanted Aero). will hit THM next for thunder. But I'm going to be out of town til Monday :dead:

What server are you on?
  11. Kozmyk

Kozmyk New Member

I'm on Lamia
  12. Faraday

Faraday New Member

Same happend to me >>

Why they use "Must be under Aetherflow" rather than "Consumes an Aetherflow stack when used" is beyond me.
  13. ilmaestro

ilmaestro Well Known Member

Since this thread got bumped, I might as well say that overall I love what Aetherflow adds to SCH gameplay. It feels a little bit OP in terms of mana regen at times, but managing your three stacks a minute can be good fun.