Advice on offtanking for HM Garuda

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by metalwrath, Oct 4, 2013.

1. metalwrath

metalwrath Member

I've found in pug parties much higher ratio of success than FC parties.
    Healer from FC argues that healers shouldn't use regen when adds spawn.
    Most pug parties i seen it works better.
    I get told to offtank red mob far away from healers and tank even though there is very little space.
    Also end up in an agro battle because of overheals which is really annoying with FC healer
    They blame others but i am sure they are the cause.
    Usually as warrior off tanking i keep defiance off to keep higher overall dps.
    I am finding with this fc healer i need to switch on defiance to try hold agro.,
    It's not a gear issue on my side i know.
    And i hate as offtank on something like garuda taking that -25% damage penalty as i want to help garuda go down as fast as possible.
    Any advice?Am i doing anything wrong?
    Any input would be appreciated.
  2. xusha

xusha Well Known Member

Regen shouldn't be used BEFORE adds spawn. Once they spawn and the tank/dps get agro you can use it.
    Offtank gets Red and tanks it away from the group. The DPS tank the Green (which heals the boss). You basically go almost right beside the other tank and the group, right in the middle of them two. And having the red face only you.
    Healer(s) should only use Medica II once then use Medica I after. Medica II is only useful for the regen, also it's a bit useful for one healer to heal the group while the other heals the MT mainly.

Defiance should be only on when the adds come, other than that keep it off.
    If your FC healer is a White Mage tell them to use Shroud once it's off CD. Also to not spam Cure II or Medica II.
  3. metalwrath

metalwrath Member

Thanks for the info.Got bitched at for bringing adds near tank several times.Kinda what was causing the issue.Was being told keep adds away from healer and away from tank.Another confusuion is if i try tank the red mob the dps start targeting it instead of killing the green :(
  4. xusha

xusha Well Known Member

If the DPS targets red tell them to switch to Green or mark Red with Ignore 1/mark Green with 1.

There should be a nice spot inbetween the two groups. Assuming tank is tanking a bit towards North and the DPS are on West, there should be a spot in NW for you to tank Red. As a healer, I generally try to go towards closer to the middle so that I can avoid getting hit with the cleave.
  5. Brandon Copeland

Brandon Copeland Active Member

So as the dps we should go after the green one because it heals? We also have to tank it?
  6. Kaedan

Kaedan New Member

Yeah, a Lancer or Monk can easily tank the green one. And it goes down in about 15 seconds with a reasonably geared group.

OP, try to imagine the clear area within the green tornadoes to be shaped like a triangle. The outer wall of the dungeon forms one side, the center area green tornadoes form the second side, and the tornadoes on the opposite side form the third side.

|\
    | \
    | \
    | \
    | \
    | \
    ---------

Kinda like that. The MT tanks garuda at the top of the triangle. The OT tanks the red add at the lower right section (as far back as you can pull it without being in the green tornadoes). The group kills the green one in the lower left area.

EDIT: formatting of the posting isn't making the graphic I drew show up right, but just imagine those slashes form a diagonal line from top to right side. :)
  7. xusha

xusha Well Known Member

Mhm, the heals should be able to AoE heal through the damage. So if you have any defensive CDs or heals, use it. Or have a Scholar/Summoner pop the Sacred Soil at that time.
  8. metalwrath

metalwrath Member

Forgot to update this.
    Yeah i managed to get the hang of it the other day.
    After a run of successful pug groups finally got my axe.
    Another tank in my fc is dinging horrible garuda parties though and experienceing a lot of healers rage quitting hehe