About FFXIV ARR monthly fees

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by W.Fung, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Avecha

Avecha Member

Eb Games in Australia have prepaid cards for ARR. 40 AUD for two months. I think that works out as more xpensive in the long run though.
  2. W.Fung

W.Fung Newbie

Noilane thx for your help.Finally,I think i got the answer.XD

One more question is about SE collect monthly fees is for unlimited time playing each month or maybe only 300hours limit !?
  3. Fybrile

Fybrile Moderator

The subscription comes with unlimited play time.
  4. ThadeusStern89

ThadeusStern89 Active Member

Saying the price should not be lowered based on what MMOs have pricier subscriptions is not a logical argument. The fact is that you're still paying for a service. I myself have no issue with the price. They have servers to maintain, and they can make the game far better for all of us. So you're either in a position where you can pay and play, or you can't. Seems a little pointless to complain about it if you can't do a lot about it, and I don't suspect that SE will, either.
  5. Orien

Orien Well Known Member

It makes perfect sense logically actually. They are going to put the price point around what is generally the accepted standard price in the industry. Explain to me how that isn't relevant. The prices are set at that range based on the fact that is what has been found to be what creates a profit margin while still providing capital to pay employees, support servers, etc. There is a reason that price point has been the industry standard for 20 years or so now.
    WhiteWinged7 and Helba like this.
  6. ThadeusStern89

That's precisely my point. If there is an optimum level at which fees must be set to cover costs, maintain servers, and generally improve gaming experience, then those who cannot afford it cannot ask for a decrease since it will never come. Ignoring industry standards would net them a long-term loss of profits. It's possible the player base might eventually compensate for this, but it's a risky move.
  7. Orien

Orien Well Known Member

They are already giving a significant discount to a few thousand people (no more than 10K people are Legacy status) and I don't think they have any intention of giving more discount than that other than the discount you get from price point packages for 3 & 6 months at a time.
    Helba likes this.
  8. Noilane

Noilane Active Member

ragnarok online 1 had this option for about 1year to pay for online hours but the truth about this is well that it is way more expensive then paying for a unlimited time for a month
  9. racooperii

racooperii Well Known Member

I personally think that is a terrible option to pay per hour. I have a job, and I go back to school, but I would rather suck up paying for a Month worth of Unlimited Access at a Static Price, than have changes in the pricing every month because of an hourly Rate.

Plus I think it would be more expensive at a per hour basis. Lets break it down!

So with some quick inaccurate arithmatic, I figure at the current price point, they'd charge .02 USD for an hour of play per month. There is no way they're going to charge that little, so I for see something more like .40 USD an hour or more. Now take that and do some simple math again... .4 x 24 x30(Basically a month give or take a day) and you get...

$288 for one month....now that is silly. Given thats all 24 hours, not realistic, but it's the same amount you're paying $13 a month for to get Unlimited Access. I don't see them charging so little on an hourly basis, they have to have people on staff to take care of collections, make sure the accounting is right and for so little an hour....doesnt make financial sense, in either direction. Of course I'm basing this off of say Minutes for going over on your phone...which is still damn expensive.
  10. Orien

Orien Well Known Member

If you want to pay for the hour I suggest you play from an internet cafe in SE Asia. Not trying to come across to aggressive here, but seriously come the f**k on. Why the hell would you want to pay by the hour when it will likely work out to far more than unlimited access for 12.99 a month. There is no way they would charge less than .25 $ for an hour and that very quickly becomes a whole lot more than 12.99.

Honestly if you can't afford 12.99 a month for a video game then you shouldn't be playing it. There are better places your money can be going and you should be more responsible financially than trying to come up with half baked ways to try to make it work.
    Helba, Syn, Noilane and 1 other person like this.
  11. Glamedril

Glamedril Active Member

I perzonally like the prepay for 180 days at 12.99 a month and you get the same access as single month at 14.99
    racooperii likes this.
  12. racooperii

racooperii Well Known Member

I'm probably going to try to Bulk my payment for at least 3-6 Months, if I have to go the month to month route I will.
  13. Glamedril

Glamedril Active Member

with the $2 a month I will save by doing a long-term subsciption i can buy more Cheese!
    ThadeusStern89 and racooperii like this.
  14. satou

satou Member

Regardless of your financial situation- It's cheaper to purchase your game time in bulk than it is to purchase month by month, And it is easier to manage rather than worrying about if you can pay the next month or not. When I get an new job (hopefully by the end of this month ) that is what I plan on doing.
  15. Fybrile

Fybrile Moderator

There's a major detractor to paying for the exact play time you use, beyond the fact that for many of us, it will lead to a higher cost.

You have to pay for the watt hours you use in your electricity bill. You pay for the gas you use. I think, for many of us, that leads to lower usage. That makes it so that every time I think about turning on a light, I'm weighing it against cost. I would hate that for a game. It would lead to players coming on with more of a goal in mind, less likely to just chat and while away the late night hours, and - more importantly - acts as equal motivation to NOT log on for some players, as it is TO log on for others. No, I'd rather have the MMO door always open with a sub, than to weigh cost-effectiveness each time I consider logging in for those few free minutes before work.
    Anova and racooperii like this.
  16. Reyak

Reyak Active Member

I'm sorry to hear about your predicament W. Fung, but i doubt that the subscription prices will be lowered anytime soon. Like previous posters have stated, $12.99 is already below the industry standard.

Maybe you can find friends to split the cost/share the account with?
  17. ThadeusStern89

I agree with Fybrile. If you're ever thinking "is it worth the money" then it will constantly be on your mind, and you might not be able to have fun with the game when you do actually play it
  18. Tiberius Darksbane

Tiberius Darksbane Active Member

i expend more in cigarettes, a lot of more, i would pay no matter how much they ask ,is a investment in entertainment
    Anova likes this.
  19. Rejha

Rejha Member

I'm absolutely willing to pay the monthly subscription (Especially since it's cheap compared to your usual P2P MMO.) as long as they keep cash shops and other microtransactions out of the game.

Using a subscription system allows for the devs to look at a reliable source of income and chart out budgets for their updates. They can see exactly what they can do and when depending on the amount of subscribers, whereas F2P models would be a more unreliable source of income.

Frankly, the P2P option is more likely to make a better game, and I'm not sure what it's like for other countries/regions, but in mine it's relatively affordable.
  20. Derringer Swyft

Derringer Swyft Member

^ This.

Also, if the game is too expensive, there are several F2P alternatives out there.