Guide A few simple settings that can improve your gamepad experience.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Infinite Zero, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Infinite Zero

Infinite Zero Crystal Brave

I've seen a lot of complaints about gamepad users in general, and also complaints from people having a bit of difficulty as a gamepad user. This was put together for the latter group, us gamepad users. If you're sick of hearing people complain, find yourself having a hard time selecting targets, and/or sick of flipping around through the cross-hotbar to pages you don't need during battle, this is for you.

How to customize the cross-hotbar:
    Go to Character Configuration > Hotbar Settings > Cross.
    [​IMG]
    In the example above, I have it set up so that hotbars 1, 2, and 4 will cycle when my weapon is sheathed. When my weapon is drawn, only hotbar 1 and 2 will cycle. What this means is that while in battle, pressing RB will never cycle over to my non combat related hotbars.
    So, 'Enable customization' select whatever you want for non-battle cycle, then for the next set just what you will use for battle. I'd also recommend one more setting change to compliment this one.

Character Configuration > Control Settings > Character
    [​IMG]
    If you disable Auto-sheath, your weapon will stay out until you click the left stick to put it away. This is helpful in dungeons in between battles when you want to RB cycle hotbars, and not see your non-battle hotbars.

One more thing I'd recommend is setting up target filtering.
    Character Configuration > Control Settings > Filter
    [​IMG]
    I strongly recommend enabling customization and at least using the LB+B (Enemies) cycling (and also Party Members if you heal and/or buff). This will help a lot during FATE and is just useful in general for certain situations. One other example where it was really useful was The Sunken Temple of Qarn near the end where you're fighting mobs near a 3 target interactive object. Normally you'd have to cycle past those targets to get to the enemies, but you can save yourself a headache in situations like this with target filtering.

So those are my tips to my fellow gamepad users, and I hope that this little guide of mine helps you to have a better time playing. If there is anything you think I should add or change, let me know and I will edit this post if I feel it is necessary. Thanks for reading!

2. Snugglebear

Snugglebear Adventurer

Very helpful and great advice! thank you Infinite!

3. ArchadianAvenger

ArchadianAvenger Adventurer

Thats cleared up things, cheers!

4. Lucipurr

Lucipurr Adventurer

TYVM. I was wondering why my L1+O was targeting objects..

5. Grieving

Grieving Adventurer

Thank you! That helps me.

One question though, do you have all your skills on one hotbar It seems annoying having to switch between two hotbars by cycling back and forth with L1(PS3 controller). Is there a way to make this more efficient? e.g. Use the L1/R1 shoulder button as well as the L2/R2 in conjunction with face buttons to activate skills

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  6. The47thSen

The47thSen Scion

I have all my main DPS skills on my 1st hot bar. 2nd hot bar is for heals, potions, food and teleport. So it's a quick RB, RB to switch around. To go into more detail, I have my direct attack skills on XYAB and my buff skills on the dpad.

I can't remember what no.3 was reserved for, I think some journals and more items. Stuff I don't access that frequently but common enough to put on there.
    No. 4 is for quick class changes.

I don't have any emotes on the XHB. I have a horizontal bar specially for emotes. Figured by the time we're chilling and emoting at each other, we'd also be chatting anyway, so it'd be easier to use a mouse and keyboard then. Also means less things to memorise.

I have the playstation style command menu disabled, and have the little red circles permanently showing. Much easier to access.

One thing I've never seen people mention anyway is the Hotbar Controlls. I see most people have it on Toggle, I use Mixed, which is the best of both worlds. Tap L2/R2 and it holds, press it down for longer than 0.5s and it toggles.

For target filtering, I disable the 2 options at the top, I think it's filter options when in combat or something? And rely solely on my custom filters.

B -> enemies
    A -> non party PC (to heal people out in the field)
    X -> NPC/objects (when gathering, questing)

Y is left untouched.
    I saw no point creating one for party members as Up/Down on the D pad already cycles through them. Not that the custom filters are only for the Left/Right. If you face a mob/npc/thingy and click B or whichever your 'target' button is, it'll still select the immediate thing infront of you.

A lot of people are also using legacy mode, I prefer the new mode because I can run sideways, together with the viewcam stick, I find that I can make more precise movements than with legacy mode, but this is probably very much YMMV. I guess people like to run backwards, I prefer to run sideways, which leads to below.

Clicking the left stick when a target is selected will lock you onto that target. Works great with the non legacy control mode because you can run circles around mobs now.

One more trick, is to combine as many skills into 1 macro as possible. When fighting trash mobs, I basically only push 1, at most 2 buttons, because the macro for my archer is basically:

Code:
    instant skill 1
    instant skill 2
    instant skill 3
    normal skill 1
    wait
    normal skill 2
    wait
    normal skill 3
    wait
    normal skill 2
    wait
    normal skill 1
    instant skill 1
    instant skill 2
    normal skill 1
    wait
    normal skill 2
    wait
    /t <me> end of macro
    You can always just spam another skill midway to interrupt it if you have to. Less things to do, more time to think.

Infinite Zero likes this.
  7. ilmaestro

ilmaestro Crystal Brave

OP is so convincing it makes me want to try a gamepad! Kudos.

8. The47thSen

The47thSen Scion

Biggest difference between gamepad and mouse & kibo is that, with one you can lean back into a nice comfy sofa while you're hunched
    over another.

Huge difference in game play experience.

9. ilmaestro

ilmaestro Crystal Brave

To be honest, I'm sitting here leaning back into my IKEA rocking chair with my m&k on my lap anyway. I'm pretty sure the comfort arguments went out the window around the same time it became so easy to output your PC to your main large TV via HDMI.

10. Bob Stockapotapoulos

Bob Stockapotapoulos Crystal Brave

@Infinite Zero I love you, man.

This should make dungeon running a lot easier now.

11. Infinite Zero

Infinite Zero Crystal Brave

Thanks for the positive feedback on this!

No. I use 2 hotbars for battle skills, items, and markers, 1 for common field commands, and 1 for class changes. To my knowledge what you're asking isn't possible on the PS3, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

12. Tomasz

Tomasz New Member

When SE implement fix on Weanseday i will check your proposition but it seems to work very well. Thank you in advance!

13. The47thSen

The47thSen Scion

Took screenshots of my controller settings and HUD. It's in Japanese but you can guess what they are.

[​IMG]
    This shows my filters. Enemies only, NPCs only, Humans only.
    I wish they would let us name the sets. It's confusing to have 2 'customs'. Or just let us override the presets, there is a 'default' button afterall.

[​IMG]
    Toggle controls set to Mixed
    Selectable sets, 1 and 2 only. I still have things on 3 and 4, but R1 will only cycle between these 2.

[​IMG]
    Plain HUD

14. Maaja

Maaja Moderator

Server:
    Bryn, Siren
    This is very useful to me. I thank you for posting this info!

15. Zayarwen

Zayarwen Adventurer

Ty... I appreciate this post. I've been getting a headache with my gamepad. Especially when I'm in battle and try to use my hot bar for diff classes... it constantly goes back on it's own to set 1.... sometimes it will decide to stay on the set i want to use... but most of the time..esp. when i'm fighting go back to set 1.. very annoying. By this, I guess, I'll just have to adjust the hotbars i can switch to when weapon is drawn, based on what set i need for the class i'm on... n switch them back when i change class... going to try this. If there is an easier way, let me know. ty... And also ppl hating on gamepad users need to chill... the game is still new.. it's not our fault really we still have some technical difficulties to sort through. The game guide when you start does NOT give you all these details about setting up your gamepad. I've had to ask other users, Google, scroll through forums to figure out a lot of this stuff.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 21, 2013, Original Post Date: Sep 21, 2013 ---
    ok.. seems i was confused about hotbars... n trying to talk about hotbar sets.... still confused i guess

16. Brandon Copeland

Brandon Copeland Crystal Brave

That's extremely interesting. Thanks for this! Im a BLM with a controller and this will make targeting way more easier.

17. Kitsu_Foxrun87

Kitsu_Foxrun87 Crystal Brave

Server:
    Balmung
    thanks bro. I finally got my PC version configured the correct way :)