Astrologian 3.0 Astrologian ~ Gear/Stat Endgame Discussion

Discussion in 'Disciples of Magic' started by AgelessDaisy, Jun 27, 2015.

1. AgelessDaisy

AgelessDaisy Scion

Server:
    Jenova
    So as I approach 60 Astrologian, I'd like to hear from my fellow Astro's what our end-game is looking like? Since I'm coming up on a big problem that I didn't see until 57. I understand Astrologian is the niche healer between White Mage and Scholar, the issue I am seeing is when we build our stats, what's going to become of us as a Healer? Since we take from both Scholar and White Mage respectively. What I mean to ask is this. If we build our Astrologian like either Scholar or White Mage and we end up being paired with another White Mage or Scholar and our stats reflect their class what are we to do? We can't possibly do Crit since we don't gain the shield bonus that Scholar does and we can't possibly build up big heals like White Mage. So if we build like either one of them and are paired with them we essentially gimp ourselves to a one-sided job. So I am wondering what our sub-stats are going tlook like. Piety doesn't seem to be an issue with Lumi. Aether. So building on Piety is out of the question, I almost have 10k MP @ 58. We also don't need Spell Speed due to Lightspeed and our Swiftcast Proc for Benefic I into Benefic II. So as a in-between job, what are our options? Because I see this being an issue.

Queue for a Primal.
    Scholar is a Healer.
    Uh-oh I built like a Scholar. But have to switch to White Mage Stance!
    Queue for a Raid.
    White Mage is Healer.
    Uh-oh! I built like a White Mage. But have to switch to Scholar Stance!

So I am wondering what we're going to do come end-game. Because as Healers our prime goal is to keep the party alive and I don't want to take up a certain stance, put loads of time/gear into it and then be told to swap the stance. I also understand Yoshi-P said to get used to healing in both stances, but I don't know. I think what I plan on doing is building both Crit/Det at the same time, balancing the two out so I can go either or, I think that's the only solution. Since right now, we are the Red Mage of Healers.

Thoughts?

GeekMatt likes this.
  2. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I'm too newbie to say with any certainty, but my initial impression was that Crit would be nice because of how much I'm spamming that tiny heal in early content. I felt the same way you did about Spellspeed--the need to cast quickly is situational for healers and AST has tools for that it looks like. DET is always the safe stat on every job so can't go wrong there.

3. Spokey Dokey

Spokey Dokey Crystal Brave

Server:
    Ultros
    As someone that mained a SCH, right now I find the SCH stance for AST to be really, really useless. That said, I'm rocking a SCH build in the WHM stance. It is working perfectly thus far. So yes, Crit/Det. The amount of HP restoration affected by spell speed is laughable. I treat the aoe regen heals and so forth like Eos and my cards like Selene.

I also rarely use lightspeed. Like... I haven't touched it since I got it. Maybe I should? I don't know, I don't need to as of yet and I'm farming for Law and Ex stuff. It halfs your heal but gets rid of the cast--you still have to wait for the CD, so its kind of blah. I always, always, always, have a regen up on people which helps.

4. delta5ff

delta5ff Scion

From what I heard he said you should puck one stance and master that first before you switch over and try to master the other. But I've nearly touched it yet as I'm to busy getting through the story and having fun with all my new WHM toys.

GeekMatt likes this.
  5. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    There is no "built like" in FF when it comes to healers. My WHM was a crit WHM and I did just fine in T13, for example. I'm personally just going Crit/Det and going to have a SCH partner in Alexander for heals.

joshua david and GeekMatt like this.
  6. AgelessDaisy

AgelessDaisy Scion

Server:
    Jenova
    So after much thought I've decided to do the following. Crit/Det/SS. Piety is no issue, plenty of it on the gear I have. SS now plays a role in HoTs so WHM AST with HoTs is nice. SCH stance AST isn't so good.

7. joshua david

joshua david Crystal Brave

Server:
    Cactuar
    this is a reason i love healing in this game. there is no 1 size fits all gear choice. its whatever you like. i go for crit/det to max output. piety & ss are git gud stats to me.

GeekMatt likes this.
  8. AgelessDaisy

AgelessDaisy Scion

Server:
    Jenova
    Well for someone like me who raids. These things matter. I need certain stats before I attempt Alexander.

9. Spokey Dokey

Server:
    Ultros
    Starting using Lightspeed + Gravity + MP card + cleric (of course)... Yeahhhhhhhh that's way too much fun.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  10. joshua david

Server:
    Cactuar
    to each their own. i raid as well and have never needed to rely on ss or piety. its all about play style.

GeekMatt and delta5ff like this.
  11. Spokey Dokey

Server:
    Ultros
    Same here. Spell speed is kind of junky for an AST in my opinion. It hardly effects the potency of the heal dots and the way that I play (like a sch) the 'slower' spell speed doesn't really bother me, nor is it noticeable. If someone needs quick heals I'll use Lightspeed. Or do a Lightspeed + Aoe heal. Piety is kind of whatever as well. At first, yes MP was somewhat of an issue, I suppose, but now that I'm 60 I never have a problem with it. I don't think any AST should go out of their way to put piety on their gear, or choose a certain piece of gear over another because of piety. Its worth keeping in mind the AST is a support healer--despite its ability to play in both stances. My main focus after mind, of course, is CRIT and DET like a SCH.

Example: The i180 healer coat has SS instead of CRIT. As such I am wearing the i160 coat because it has like 56 critical. I might buy the i170 coat and upgrade it to i180, but it really does not seem like a viable option. I would much rather have 53 critical than the 4 or so extra MND it provides and 4 or so extra VIT. And screw the SS.

12. joshua david

Server:
    Cactuar
    i honestly cant wait for the theory crafters to find the 'values' of our stats in HW.

iirc, crit now affects the actual number of a crit rather than just the chance of a crit to happen
    det had a nerf due to auto attacks but for healers i wonder if any change will be seen.
    ss is suppose to amplify our dots in some way but i have yet to see anything to make me go wow.
    piety to me has always been the accuracy stat for healers. you need as much as you need until you dont need anymore.

then again, i have to remember that we are in darklight gear again. to prevent power creep, i have gathered, they have done a sort of soft rollback on stats.
    i have a feeling we wont see our old %s until we hit i230ish.

13. Spokey Dokey

Server:
    Ultros
    I crit for 8.7k (on a black mage) - Uhh... It turned me on a little.

Jinzuku likes this.
  14. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

I would build around Spellspeed and DET.

DET still important for heals and melee dps. Spellspeed cause casting spells faster is always a plus. Especially in fights with lots of movement.

15. Spokey Dokey

Server:
    Ultros
    Here's my problem with this though--at least from my experience thus far. You have the insta-cast regen move which heals quite a bit despite costing a considerable amount of MP (707) and you also have Lightspeed and Essential Dignity. You also have the card that lowers your spell speed--should you be lucky enough to pull it in a pinch. Throwing the regen on the dps, as of now, is more than enough to get their health back up. If I need to constantly run around and heal folks--like for example in Neverreap I'll pop Synastry on the tank, pop a regen on him, pop the insta regen (or both) on those who I anticipate will take damage. Maybe I'll even extend the regens and Synastry on the tank so I can heal the DPS (should they need it) so the tank also gets healed (because of Syn). If a DPS is really taking damage I'll put Syn on him and focus heal the tank. I've been playing around with trying to heal on the run and putting myself in sticky situations on purpose.

Again, I'm not saying spell speed is useless--it's certainly not. There are just--insofar as I can tell--alternatives to it that are better in the long run. As of right now, my total spell speed is currently at +447 and I am able to heal everyone back up who is below half health, on the run, without a problem. Unless of course you get that DPS who says something similar to the following:

"I am a bard. I don't need to get in the middle for an aoe heal after the whole party just took massive damage. That would mean I don't play like a bard."

We tend to just let those players die as a lesson.

DET is also still kind of insignificant. It's important, yeah I guess, but its like... hardly noticeable. It was necessary for a SCH because Eos and Selene loved it.

Edit: Oh, also if there is a huge pull and I realized I need some time to get some heals off I'll just run in and paralyze everything for 5 seconds then pop off an aoe heal. It makes all the difference.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015