Shiokaze Hostelry Jumping Puzzle
Hello, and welcome to my guide for the Shiokaze Hostelry jumping puzzle located in the entrance to the area of Kugane. To make it to the top of the hostelry will require you to complete a number of jumps from platform to platform and scale the outer structure of the hostelry itself. This is the harder jumping puzzle in Kugane and will test your resolve as you navigate the many platforms and leaps of faith that await you.
From the start, FFXIV was not designed with platforming in mind and some of jumps will require a bit of trial and error to find the sweet spots to properly execute them. To further make things difficult, there are a number of invisible walls that can trip you up if you hit them just so and and the camera can become a total nightmare to fight with in some of the tight corners of the buildings you will be jumping off of. One bit of good news is that you can’t actually die from falling off the hostelry and even jumping from the very top will simply leave you at 1 HP. Just don’t have anyone sneeze in your general direction afterward.
In order to make the jumps you will have to move forward at least one step and then jump to have any kind of forward momentum. If you simply jump and then try to move forward, you will gain no ground and possibly fall off the platform you are on when you land. One jump you will use is a “bunny hop” which you make by moving forward, jump and then stop moving forward while midair to land a short distance. The other type of jump you have to “commit to” by jumping while moving forward and then keep going to make the jump only to stop when you land. Jumps you usually have to “commit to” are over large gaps in the platforms or facing long falls as you try to land on a platform sticking out into thin air. In the end you’ll need to practice both for yourself to get the feel for how the jumps work and which type to use for a given jump.
How you tackle the issues of the camera are up to you but a couple things I can suggest are to move the camera in somewhat close so you can better see what jump you are looking at. Keeping the camera far out allows you so see more of the area but can lead to it being blocked by other structures and lead to some jarring angles as the camera pops in an out of the geometry. You might also find it helpful to change your movement style in the settings if one method seems to trip you up more. Also, keep in mind that the hit boxes for the posts are more forgiving than they appear and you can actually make a jump even though you are standing on nothing.
So with all that said, resolve yourself to the loss of feather foot and prepare for your ascent into madness.
Shiokaze Hostelry: Section 1
- 1.a - Start at the entrance to the second floor of the hostelry from the red bridge and jump onto the railing close to the wall of the hostelry.
- 1.b - “Bunny hop” to the first small post and then line yourself up for the jump to the second small post
- 1.c - “Bunny hop” to the second small post. You want to try and land on the outer edge of the post so as not to hit the wall mid jump. if you miss the jump but land on the green roof directly below, you can follow that roof to a balcony which lets you back onto the second floor of the hostelry. You can then exit the door to the red bridge and try again from the start.
- 1.d - Here you will have to “commit to” the jump and try to land on the outer edge of the first long post so as not to get blocked by the roof and fall off.
- 1.e - Again, you have to “commit to” the jump and aim for the outer edge of the second longer post that peaks out beneath the edge of the roof. It looks like you won’t be able to clear the roof and hit your head mid jump but again aim for the end of the post and you’ll land right on it.
Shiokaze Hostelry: Section 2
- 2.a - From the post at Section 1.e, turn around, face the hostelry and then jump to the green roof.
- 2.b - Follow the roof and run around to the far side of the hostelry where you’ll see a small balcony overlooking the river between the hostelry and the area where the Bokairo Inn is.
Shiokaze Hostelry: Section 3
- 3.a - From the roof jump up onto the balcony and you should see a long post sticking out of the wall. You’ll want to get onto that to proceed.
- 3.b - Jump from the balcony to the railing and line yourself with the railing post just before the long post sticking out of the wall.
- 3.c - “Bunny hop” onto the railing post and line yourself up for the jump to the long post.
- 3.d - “Bunny hop” to the long post while trying to land in a spot that is not blocked by the edge of the roof. You should be able to simply jump straight ahead if you are lined up properly.
- 3.e - From the long post, jump onto the green roof above the section with the balcony and proceed up the roof to the next section directly in front of you.
Shiokaze Hostelry: Section 4
- 4.a - Working your way up the roof, “bunny hop” onto the first small post. For this section, you may find it easier to turn your camera sideways so that you are jumping left or right as in a traditional 2D platformer.
- 4.b - “Bunny hop” to the second small post.
- 4.c - “Bunny hop” to the third small post then turn around to line up for the fourth jump.
- 4.d - “Bunny hop” to the forth small post that is directly above the post for the second jump.
- 4.e - This is a tricky jump. You need to line yourself up so that you jump to the outer edge of the fifth post and not close to the edge of the roof. The overhang of the roof creates an odd invisible wall that will block your jump and cause you to fall. When you feel you are properly lined up, “bunny hop” to the fifth post and then jump to the green roof directly above it. Again the roof causes an invisible wall and you’ll have to jump just right so as not to get stuck. You won’t fall. Simply adjust your position slightly and try again.
Shiokaze Hostelry: Section 5
- 5.a - From Section 4.e, follow the green roof to the right of the tower directly in front of you and you’ll find the next set of posts going up along the right side of a circular red and white emblem. “Bunny hop” onto the first small post. Again, turn your camera sideways if this helps you.
- 5.b - “Bunny hop” the opposite direction to jump up to the second small post.
- 5.c - Again, “bunny hop” the opposite direction this time jumping onto the small trapezoidal ledge directly across from the circular emblem.
- 5.d - Turn towards the circular emblem and then “commit to” the jump to land on the emblem. Afterwards, move up the side of the emblem and onto the small triangular roof just above it.
Shiokaze Hostelry: Section 6
- 6.a - This is not really much of a jump puzzle but this little section does require some explanation. As you move up the roof to the peak you will eventually hit an invisible wall that prevents you from moving forward and if you are not careful, can buntz you off causing you to fall. Once you get to the peak, simply aim for the corner between the tower and the “large river” emblem and jump over the top to the other side of the small roof. Aiming for the corner prevents you from accidentally falling off and having to backtrack. Also note each corner of the tower at this level has one of these small triangle roofs with the same issue. If you fall of from higher sections but land on one of these roofs, you can use them to jump around the tower perimeter to get back to this point.
Shiokaze Hostelry: Section 7
- 7.a - After you navigate the triangle roof you want to start lining up for the first jump to Section 7. To do so, position your character so that it is halfway down the far edge of the triangle roof. You want to position yourself so you are also not blocked by the corner of the tower while trying to make the jump. You can use the position of my character in the above screen shot to give you an idea of where you need to be. When lined up, “commit to” the jump and land on the first small post.
- 7.b - “Bunny hop” to the second small post. Again turn your camera sideways if you find that better for making your jumps.
- 7.c - “Bunny hop” to the third small post then turn around to jump in the opposite direction.
- 7.d - Here you will need to “commit to” the jump to land on the fourth small post that is directly above the first small post.
- 7.e - This is a deceptively tricky jump. If you over cook it you can take a pretty nasty fall that will land you all the way back at the start of Section 4. It is hard to tell but I think the trapezoidal ledge directly above it creates an invisible wall that can screw up your landing causing you to fall. One thing I’ve found that helps is to aim for the outer edge of the fifth small post and “Bunny hop” to land on it. When you make the jump, turn around and line yourself up for the next one.
- 7.f - From the post at Section 7.e you want to “commit to” the jump to land on the sixth small post. Missing this one can either drop you on a post halfway up or plummet you all the way back down to the start of Section 5.
- 7.g - Simply “bunny hop” from the sixth small post to the trapezoidal ledge.
- 7.h - The final jump of this long section is just in front of you, but don’t cheer just yet. From the corner of the trapezoidal ledge, line yourself up to face the hanging structure and “bunny hop” on to the long post jutting out at a 45 degree angle from the tower. You want to line yourself up with the hanging structure when you jump so as to prevent falling off the other side of the post.
Shiokaze Hostelry: Section 8
- 8.a - Now here is where things get interesting. From the long post at Section 7.h, you want to walk to the very edge of that post so that your character is slightly off the post. Then turn and face your camera so that you are lined up with the outer edge of the small post sticking off the hanging structure. You have to jump to the edge of the small post so that the corner of the hanging structure does not buntz you otherwise it’s all the way back to the start of Section 5. To make the jump you have to “commit to” the jump and again land on the outer edge of the small post. Over cook it and you get to enjoy the one way trip all the way back down to Section 4.
- 8.b - Your next jump will be to the trapezoidal ledge just right of the hanging tapestry that is in the middle of the tower. Position yourself to the outer edge of the small post you jumped to in step 8.a and line yourself up to jump to the corner of the ledge closest to the hanging tapestry. You need to aim for the corner otherwise you will hit the hanging structure and fall all the way back to Section 5. If you over shoot the corner you will hit the tapestry and fall to the circular emblem below. This is not as bad since you can simply walk along the ledge to your right and hop back onto the post detailed in Section 7.h to try again. When you feel you are lined up, “commit to” the jump and land on the corner of the trapezoidal ledge.
- 8.c - From here “commit to” the jump and leap across to the trapezoidal ledge on the opposite side of the hanging tapestry. Keep in mind that the camera will be blocked by the hanging structure and can cause some visibility issues. If you play with it a bit you can bring the camera in close enough to line up your jump and then go when you feel you know where you will land. You can also position the camera sideways if that helps to see the jump better.
- 8.d - From the second ledge you want to “bunny hop” to the small post directly in front of you. This jump can be a little tricky since you’ll be dealing with a tight space for the camera and visibility will be an issue. Simply line yourself up as best you can and make the jump when you are ready.
Shiokaze Hostelry: Section 9
- 9.a - Continuing from the small post at Section 8.d you now need to jump to the small post attached to the hanging structure that is farther out. Any missed jump from here will likely land you back at the start of Section 4. I’ve found it easier to make the jump if you aim for the middle of the post and “commit to” the jump. You have more room to work with the camera so it should be easier to line up the jump.
- 9.b - Turn around and face towards the tower. You will see the next small post to jump to directly below a trapezoidal ledge. Aim for the outer edge of the post and “commit to” the jump. Do not try to jump closer to the ledge as an invisible wall can cause you to miss the jump and fall. Falling from here will can potentially put you back to the start of Section 4.
- 9.c - Simply jump up to the trapezoidal ledge then turn to face the hanging structure you jumped off of from Step 9.b.
- 9.d - “Bunny hop” to the second small post that is on the hanging structure.
- 9.e - Turn around to face the tower and the jump to the railing that lines the tower balcony.
- 9.f - Drop of the railing onto the balcony and then move on to the far side of the tower.
Shiokaze Hostelry: Section 10
- 10.a - On the far side of the tower balcony you will find another series of post jumps that will lead you up to the roof of the tower. Jump back up to the railing and position yourself near the corner of the roof support to prepare for the next jump. Marker A in the above screen shot provides the general area of where to stand.
- 10.b - Aim for the outer edge of the small post that is attached to the hanging structure so that you clear the corner of the hanging structure. “Commit to” to the jump to land on the post. Optionally, you can drop off the railing to the post below and jump from there but it is not required and allows for an additional chance to fall. Missing this jump will land you back down to Section 4, if not further down.
- 10.c - Turn to face the outer edge of the long post facing away perpendicular to the small post you are on. You need to clear the edge of the roof by “committing to” the jump and landing on the outer edge of the post. Missing this jump will land you back down to Section 4, if not further down.
Shiokaze Hostelry: Section 11
- 11.a - This is probably the "toughest" jump in the entire puzzle. While on the long post, walk back to the edge of the roof and face the small post. “Bunny hop” from the long post to the small post. Seriously. Do NOT miss this jump as it will drop you all the way back down to Section 4 and you will have to work your way all the way back up or /ragequit.
- 11.b - If you made the jump, congratulations. Now jump onto the roof for the final home stretch.
- 11.c - Work your way to the opposite side of the roof. You do not have to follow the path I detailed in the above screen shot as either way will easily get you to the other side of the roof.
Shiokaze Hostelry: Section 12
- 12.a - On the opposite side of the roof, climb up the roof to the base of the top as shown in the above image and then jump on the gold accent closest to the small post. Again reference the above screen shot on where to jump.
- 12.b - From the gold accent, turn around and face the roof cap and jump onto the base of it.
- 12.c - From the base of the roof cap, jump onto the small post.
- 12.d - From the small post, jump onto the roof cap. Congratulations, you have now completed the Shiokaze Hostelry jump puzzle. Be sure to /lookout to survey the dizzying heights you climbed to and witness a spectacular view of the city below. All that’s left now is to get down…
Shiokaze Hostelry Jumping Puzzle Guide
This is a guide for the Shiokaze Hostelry jump puzzle located in the Kugane area. This guide gives you step by step instructions on how to scale the Hostelry and get to the top of the tower.